EAST AND WEST CAMPER CREW

Swine_Glasto2014

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Eavis has just been on 6Music and  - er - squarely placed the blame for the delays on people ignoring advice to delay their departures and more people than ever showing up too early.

Bollocks. There is no more people having decided to turn up on a Tuesday this year than any previous year since they allowed campervans in early. They knew exactly how many camper passes they sold and that 90% of them would be trying to turn up at some point after midday yesterday. 

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, paulmuchmore said:

East campers, especially those close to the hill of death, how's it looking in terms of people going into Gate C? Busy? Or running smoother than usual because everyone is stuck on the roads? 

Normally at this time of morning there would be a noisy bunch of campers traipsing past towards the hill and waking us from our Cider induced slumber. 

Didn't have much chance to get any Cider down last night, and my work alarm work me up. But can't see much in the way of campers walking in yet. Didn't venture down to the hill for a look yet though. 

25 minutes ago, paulmuchmore said:

East campers, especially those close to the hill of death, how's it looking in terms of people going into Gate C? Busy? Or running smoother than usual because everyone is stuck on the roads? 

I've noticed it's not as busy as normal. The gates are open anyway but people are quite muddy!

36 minutes ago, **claire** said:

That attitude surprises me, & leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. We adhered to the request to arrive later & it got us precisely nowhere.

Feel a bit like that too, we arrived in our camper at Bristol about half seven last night and we're still sat at Shepton Mallet! 13 hours later. Left Carlisle at 11 am. Knackered, cold, and fed up. I usually love Glastonbury but this is taking the edge of it this year. 

4 minutes ago, Titanicgirl said:

Feel a bit like that too, we arrived in our camper at Bristol about half seven last night and we're still sat at Shepton Mallet! 13 hours later. Left Carlisle at 11 am. Knackered, cold, and fed up. I usually love Glastonbury but this is taking the edge of it this year. 

Hope you get in soon! Well done for sticking it out. I think 2015 will have been my last fest unfortunately.

40 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

I wonder how many people actually saw the 6pm delay email?

This is probably a good point, 24hrs before is well and truly 'plans have been made, leaving at this time etc.'

I also wonder how many just plain ignored it, I wouldn't necessarily blame people for doing so.

2 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

This is probably a good point, 24hrs before is well and truly 'plans have been made, leaving at this time etc.'

I also wonder how many just plain ignored it, I wouldn't necessarily blame people for doing so.

They just took too long to plaster it all over their site, social media, etc.

One email from Seetickets had people confused and wondering if it was true.  What if people were on their way, or were using their work email address, etc?

Edited by GlastoEls

Just now, GlastoEls said:

One email from Seetickets had people confused and wondering if it was true.

Yep I caught up with this thread when I saw the traffic problems, and it even seems as though some were sent the e-mail whilst some weren't etc.

Poor bastards, I'm guessing this has had a huge knock on effect on the 'normal traffic' (i.e. cars) too?

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

People on Twitter are now suggesting they are trying to get campers/caravans to go to bath and west showground instead as every camper/caravan is needing to be towed in, is this true?

Yes, but the looks of it.  The 8:30am update from GFL states a temporary holding site has been set up there.

Just rolled in to East 14 at 7.30am. Left Newcastle at 11.30am on Tuesday morning. Came off the M5 at 18.00. Breezed through Glastonbury town then hit a queue on A361... This won't take long we thought... 13 and a half hours later we are in. The ground in E14 is excellent. Perfect in fact. The stewards were kids who didn't have a clue but all is Ok. Nobody checked the camper ticket against occupants of van. Nobody checked for glass or even asked us. No security check at all.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Ok, so not for them to stay there throughout the festival then?

The words temporary and holding would suggest absolutely not.

My guess is that the access is so mashed and they;'ve been foccussing on making good inside the fence that it's not yet suitable / don't have the right number of tow vehicles.

6 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

One email from Seetickets had people confused and wondering if it was true.  What if people were on their way, or were using their work email address, etc?

Lots of camper vans were at local campsites on Monday night and had to leave yesterday morning, which meant every car park and lay by in the area was already packed out. Delaying by 6 hrs just caused 6hrs worth of heavy traffic to try to cram into 1hr. OH is still on A37 as far as I know (since 6 last night), don't want to phone in case he's got in and is asleep. Supposed to leave from Banbury around 4pm today but trying to decide what to do.

Does anyone know if the situation is as bad heading to the West camper field? it doesnt appear so on Google earth?

we are going to set off anyway to get nearer ( from manchester) then reasses the situation when we are past Bristol.

Im worried there will be no space left when we get there as parts of the field might be too muddy! Surely they would find somewhere for us to go??

4 minutes ago, gorfield said:

Does anyone know if the situation is as bad heading to the West camper field? it doesnt appear so on Google earth?

we are going to set off anyway to get nearer ( from manchester) then reasses the situation when we are past Bristol.

Im worried there will be no space left when we get there as parts of the field might be too muddy! Surely they would find somewhere for us to go??

From what I have just heard, its 2 hours from the Motorway to G town. It seems to be very heavy before the town, but possibly easing slightly after the town.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Sounds like a better plan, as daft as it sounds, would've been to let CVers in much earlier rather than later!

Indeed. Careful management of movements on site would have done more to protect it than the time delay especially as it's rained since.