The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about a mile from the site and it's now stopped raining. Must have had about 1 millimetre this afternoon. Daughter is back from the site. Reporting that the Pyramid field is fine. Perfectly navigable in walking boots.  Back of the Pyramid ok as well.

Edited by Ommadawn

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Wheelbarrow all the way for me, never let me down.

That'll do it.  In the kingdom of bad mud the biggest wheel with highest axle is king.  Old fashioned pram with suspension still the outright champ though.

A slight firming up of the ground this afternoon.  Some of the better drained fields surprisingly improved. Obviously the bad areas still bad. To state the obvious, it all rests on what happens tomorrow. 

As expected, the weather has had quite an effect on the build. As always,  it will get done but there's going to be some allnighters for some crew.  (not our lot thankfully!)  

I've just put my bright side head on and have just had a thought: in 2014, once the site dried up, the ground went ROCK hard. So much that my toes went numb for months afterwards. With the softer ground this year, it's going to be like walking around with gel insoles, so feet are going to be far less damaged by the impact.

Silver lining to every cloud, even the big fuck off ones that dump a gazillion litres of water.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've just put my bright side head on and have just had a thought: in 2014, once the site dried up, the ground went ROCK hard. So much that my toes went numb for months afterwards. With the softer ground this year, it's going to be like walking around with gel insoles, so feet are going to be far less damaged by the impact.

Silver lining to every cloud, even the big fuck off ones that dump a gazillion litres of water.

Well, I hadn't thought of this! My feet always take a pounding and last year I damaged my right foot so badly that I could barely stand on it for any period of time come the Sunday. Softer ground may actually be most welcome! 

It's easy to forget quite how positive everyone walking over drying ground can be. Previously damp ground churns up, hardens as it oxidizes and is carried up on people's boots. Those little bits dry on wellies and boots and the process continues until it's nothing more than a spongy sheet of dirt.

However badly saturated  it is (within reason) when gates open, by Thursday afternoon it'll be back to trainers if the skies are clear!

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Gardening gloves are your friend when it comes to carrying things like tents and canvas handled bags, I've destroyed my hands in the past.

Good tip, thanks.  Thankfully we have some, so I don't have to add that to my last minute list.

I feel hopeful that as well as mud there will be grass in the higher areas of the site.  I just want to sit on some grass with a pint of Brothers.  I'm happy to carry it up hill a bit first.

9 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Good tip, thanks.  Thankfully we have some, so I don't have to add that to my last minute list.

I feel hopeful that as well as mud there will be grass in the higher areas of the site.  I just want to sit on some grass with a pint of Brothers.  I'm happy to carry it up hill a bit first.

I reckon you'll be fine there.  Glastonbury sign and Flagtopia were absolutely fine in 2011, getting up through the park was a bit of a trek, proper ankle deep, thick mud that clags on the boots til you're walking like a deep sea diver or trying to scrape it off with your instep and heel every 50 paces, but once up there with the sun shining down on you, looking out over it all, well....it was hard to avoid the temptation to just sit there drinking in the sun, so we didn't.

Plenty of grey sky but been told it's not raining atm

It was a short sharp burst of rain earlier around 2pm (40-ish mins) and has been spitting on and off since but looks like it didn't hit the whole site so you'd hope that some areas are starting to dry up now. 

Keep the faith!!!

Not long arrived on site and has been raining on and off since I got here around 6 (and was on way here too)

Ground in places pretty churned up so was a fair old slog from car park. Thankfully I am in purple so nearish to gate, especially as stupidly forgot to check trolley tyres beforehand and 1 was flat!

7 minutes ago, dondo said:

Not long arrived on site and has been raining on and off since I got here around 6 (and was on way here too)

Ground in places pretty churned up so was a fair old slog from car park. Thankfully I am in purple so nearish to gate, especially as stupidly forgot to check trolley tyres beforehand and 1 was flat!

thanks for reminding me