The "what do you do" thread.

RichardWaller

I'm a manager for a UK health charity - not a particularly well-known one as it's not cause-related, but it's fairly big in terms of the money we have for grants. Essentially we fund improvement projects in the NHS, as well as some individual leadership development programmes (plus a bunch of other stuff around policy, economics and data analysis).

I love it - I get to see all the amazing work that is happening in NHS organisations across the UK and meet some properly inspirational people.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a practice manager at a GP surgery,  previously NHS software systems trainer,   and health authority finance manager. Previous to that YTS scheme trainee and a paper boy  - £1.50 a week... those were the days.. soggy mirrors through doors for 30p a day...

Found this thread so interesting, I love hearing about what people do. So many things I've never heard of! 

I am a freelance web designer & front end developer. It's ok but I want to do something that involves less staring at a screen. 

13 hours ago, tm014 said:

I work for a freight forwarder so I get you :D 

It's the joys of logistics I tell you! Fabulous fun! I felt like a damn traffic report today all I did all morning was call all of my Manchester drivers to tell them to avoid the M62 and give diversions before then the inevitable customer service backlash asking why all the loads were late!!! 

Hurry up weekend! 

I work in a CCTV control room at a shopping centre, decent job but long unsociable hours and very little prospects and with a 2 month year old, just doesn't work, so i'll soon be starting a new job at the end of the month as an executive officer at the DWP :) More pay, less hours!

20 hours ago, FestiZebra said:

I work in an investment bank, doing admin. Left university in 2014 with a  1st, but took me so long just to get the job I have now (which pays OK, but I hate it, I'm just a cog in a huge corporate wheel)

Would like to move to London and get a real rewarding job. But being young, with little experience puts me at the bottom of the pile!

Everyone has to start somewhere.

I graduated in 2003 and it took me a while to get a entry level role in the industry I wanted to work in (aviation)... 

Since then Ive done a few different jobs but have been at the same airline for 12 years now and currently work in the Sales Department as Head of Distribution.

I love my industry and the benefits it affords me are great (I can travel pretty much anywhere in the world for very little) and I been able support many friends and family too... In fact my parents now live abroad on the basis that the can travel very cheaply and often getting upgrades whenever they do.

I manage a residential home for young adults with mental health, learning and behavioural difficulties.

It can be tough, it can be scary, it's almost always stressful but it's quite possibly the best job I've had. The impact and positive change that I can help happen in people's lives is one of the most gratifying things that it makes up for all of the 14 hour shifts dodging punches, kicks, spits and whatever I've got thrown at me this week!

17 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I manage a residential home for young adults with mental health, learning and behavioural difficulties.

It can be tough, it can be scary, it's almost always stressful but it's quite possibly the best job I've had. The impact and positive change that I can help happen in people's lives is one of the most gratifying things that it makes up for all of the 14 hour shifts dodging punches, kicks, spits and whatever I've got thrown at me this week!

I work on a psych ward, I know EXACTLY what you mean :lol:

Really enjoying this thread :)

I work in my parents' bookshop selling books for children and teachers, and I usually spend 3ish days a week rehearsing or playing gigs in my band, aaaand I occasionally DJ weddings (got one on saturday that's making glasto preparation even more intense/condensed!). Life is good at the moment!

I work for a struggling paper merchants in Slough. Im a sales rep, which means that my job is to speak to clients on the phone about quantity and type of paper, and whether we can supply it with them, and whether they can pay for it.

And I'm boring myself talking about it.

8 minutes ago, malcombe said:

Shopkeeper. And as one of the above posters said customers can be incredibly rude.

They can. Which is why I can deal with them on the phone. Once that call is done - I couldn't care less about them. Finished.

Face to Face - you are able to do something that I couldn't. Fair play

1 hour ago, Pbird81 said:

I'm a college lecturer most of the time - it's what kept me from Glasto for 10 years. Going part-time; part-freelance meant I could come back :)

I've also been paid to 'Crush the world with disappointment' http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/juan-cuadrado-reveals-not-being-5199448

Did you take that as an accolade or a burden?