Lineup 2018

23 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

If Artics aren't at Leeds it'll be cos their album won't be finished. There's a slight chance of them both performing but would cost big bucks so the likelihood is that it won't happen and AM probably wouldn't be at R+L till 2020 at the earliest cos of Glasto. BST is probably just as likely as them doing R+L also. 

Any particular reason why the smart money is on AM headlining the next Glasto?

29 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Any particular reason why the smart money is on AM headlining the next Glasto?

I mean, Arctics are probably the 2nd biggest band in the world after Foos, so why would a festival skip booking them? Glasto also happens to be one of the biggest, so Arctics won't wanna skip it either

It's win-win for Arctics and Glasto

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, Arctics are probably the 2nd biggest band in the world after Foos, so why would a festival skip booking them? Glasto also happens to be one of the biggest, so Arctics won't wanna skip it either

It's win-win for Arctics and Glasto

Arctics aren't the 2nd biggest band in the world, FF are only arguable as the biggest.

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Are Arctic Monkeys as big in America, mainland Europe and elsewhere as they are here?

Whilst I agree that Foos are the biggest band in the world, Coldplay and Muse are both bigger than AM on a worldwide scale, aren’t they? 

Coldplay is a good shout maybe they could touch Arctics and Foos. I would have agreed with Muse like 5 years ago but I don't think they are THAT big anymore, couple of dud albums etc. They're still huge don't get me wrong, I love them, but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same group as the others anymore

Pretty sure after AM Arctics are pretty huge in Murica, like if they're headlining Coachella then they've got to be pretty big (not sure how big they are in the rest of the world tho)

Radiohead I guess is another one who may be able to be in the same circle as Coldplay/Foos/Arctics.

Either way, as we're looking at the UK Arctics are definitely way up there imo

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Are Arctic Monkeys as big in America, mainland Europe and elsewhere as they are here?

Whilst I agree that Foos are the biggest band in the world, Coldplay and Muse are both bigger than AM on a worldwide scale, aren’t they? 

Arctic Monkeys have only really begun getting headline slots in America - I think AM gave them a shot in the arm here and around the world but you could see them moving up the bills as the AM tour went along. Coldplay definitely bigger, Muse were but it'd be tough to split them now as Muse only really blew up in America after that Twilight song and now people are moving on - they don't have the same staying power as in the UK. I'd say the likes of U2 and Guns N' Roses and Metallica are still bigger than Arctic Monkeys worldwide but it may be unfair to compare them to bands who've been massive forever.

Edited by dentalplan

Foos are certainly looking nailed on. Kendrick looking like a promising possibility.

Chances Royal Blood are headlining? I reckon it could/will happen. I could see them coheadlining with QOTSA, but as people have said it's not looking likely that they're gonna be around for R&L.

Foos and Kendrick are pretty strong bookings which would justify having Royal Blood as an outright headliner. Then there'd be a good balance for them to hopefully get some decent subs too.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Foos are certainly looking nailed on. Kendrick looking like a promising possibility.

Chances Royal Blood are headlining? I reckon it could/will happen. I could see them coheadlining with QOTSA, but as people have said it's not looking likely that they're gonna be around for R&L.

Foos and Kendrick are pretty strong bookings which would justify having Royal Blood as an outright headliner. Then there'd be a good balance for them to hopefully get some decent subs too.

Yeah I think many share the same thoughts about the headliners as you. To me, whether Royal Blood headlines or coheadlines depends on who else they can get because they might as well try and convince someone else of a similar standing to share the slot (Paramore being the leading choice) but if not then they would manage fine without an extra headliner.

7 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Stereophonics to make an appearance? 

doubt it, guess they could sub or headline NME but there's loads more relevant acts they could book instead. And by the sounds of their recent interview, they'd be expecting to be booked as headliners which would never happen.

47 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

doubt it, guess they could sub or headline NME but there's loads more relevant acts they could book instead. And by the sounds of their recent interview, they'd be expecting to be booked as headliners which would never happen.

Could see them subbing but dunno how they'd go down with the demographic nowadays. Shame as they're a brilliant band

2 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Could see them subbing but dunno how they'd go down with the demographic nowadays. Shame as they're a brilliant band

just not really their kinda festival. more suited to headlining mid sized festivals a la Kendal Calling last year.

12 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Who would you argue is the 2nd biggest then? I don't really know any bigger ticket shifters than those 2...

Coldplay are massively bigger than Arctics worldwide....not even a debate tbh mate. Arctics are not top line America fests yet as far as I'm aware.

U2 sell at high prices and are bigger than Arctics as are Radiohead. Arctics would take British band in English most likely yes.

For contemporary bands I'd put Arctics third behind Foos and Coldplay. But it's hard to judge since we live in the country that they're the biggest. Like in Canada all anyone talks about is Arcade Fire, I'm sure they think they're in the top 3.

Are Green Day bigger everywhere else? 

Edited by Steve1000

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

For contemporary bands I'd put Arctics third behind Foos and Coldplay. But it's hard to judge since we live in the country that they're the biggest. Like in Canada all anyone talks about is Arcade Fire, I'm sure they think they're in the top 3.

Are Green Day bigger everywhere else? 

Are RHCP, Radiohead and Pearl Jam considered contemporary? 

12 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Coldplay is a good shout maybe they could touch Arctics and Foos. I would have agreed with Muse like 5 years ago but I don't think they are THAT big anymore, couple of dud albums etc. They're still huge don't get me wrong, I love them, but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same group as the others anymore

Pretty sure after AM Arctics are pretty huge in Murica, like if they're headlining Coachella then they've got to be pretty big (not sure how big they are in the rest of the world tho)

Radiohead I guess is another one who may be able to be in the same circle as Coldplay/Foos/Arctics.

Either way, as we're looking at the UK Arctics are definitely way up there imo

Foos, Coldplay, The Killers, U2, Artic Monkeys, Depeche Mode 

I know all of them aren't relevant to Reading Fest by any means but I'd say they are the biggest grossing rock bands still going.