West Holts - New Screens?

midlifecrisis

I think it's a bit of a shame but the size of headliner it attracts these days means its probably a necessary evil now.

West Holts is probably the best stage for getting to the front and still having plenty of room though, so I hope screens aren't going to give people the excuse to just chill at the back

Edited by Alcatraz

Just now, Alcatraz said:

I think it's a bit of a shame but the size of headliner it attracts these days means its probably a necessary evil now.

West Holts is probably the best stage for getting to the front and still having plenty of room though, so I hope screens aren't going to give people the excuse to just chill at the back

yeah a little something will definitely be lost, but as you say, it's necessary now with certain acts, although the crowds for acts during the daytime may suffer a little if people are willing to just sit at the back and watch the screens, especially the ones that are already thin

11 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets said:

Now book Kraftwerk you bastards!

This is clearly why they are adding screens. Test run them this year, then get Kraftwerk next year. 

Someone will be along to say that they aren't popular enough to fill Williams Green on a rainy Thursday night any minute now though.

3 minutes ago, Untz said:

This is clearly why they are adding screens. Test run them this year, then get Kraftwerk next year. 

Someone will be along to say that they aren't popular enough to fill Williams Green on a rainy Thursday night any minute now though.

WH would be the perfect stage for Kraftwerk and tbh it was the stage thing that always made them seem unlikely in the past. hopefully they'll be booked in the coming years!

I'm quite surprised at this tbh, wouldn't of thought they were necessary at all seeing as it's one of the easiest stages to see.

We always find it really easy to get a good spot in front of the sound stage for headliners, even dipping out to the bar and back no problem. 

Could it be that a headliner needs the displays as part of thier show?

1 minute ago, Junglist1981 said:

I'm quite surprised at this tbh, wouldn't of thought they were necessary at all seeing as it's one of the easiest stages to see.

We always find it really easy to get a good spot in front of the sound stage for headliners, even dipping out to the bar and back no problem. 

Could it be that a headliner needs the displays as part of thier show?

would take a pretty huge headliner for that to be the case, and i can't see why Underworld, James Blake or Earth Wind & Fire would NEED screens (assuming they're our headliners). think it's more to do with how big some of the headliner crowds are getting (Chic for example). when i saw Disclosure in 2014 i stood midway and could barely see a fucking thing

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sort of hope they keep them turned off for everybody but the headliners.

There's certainly a lot of West Holts sets that don't get filmed for the BBC so maybe that might be the guide. Although I guess if you invest in screens you invest in using them more

Just now, smytho15 said:

Why would screens even be a issue. Please explain.

as stated above, it runs the risk of people just chilling at the back and being happy to watch the screens rather than get up front creating atmosphere, which has always been a bonus of WH. but yeah, not that much of an issue and tbh i'm sure it'll mostly be a positive thing

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

as stated above, it runs the risk of people just chilling at the back and being happy to watch the screens rather than get up front creating atmosphere, which has always been a bonus of WH. but yeah, not that much of an issue and tbh i'm sure it'll mostly be a positive thing

I guess it could be an issue. However not one I would have considered. If you want to see the band you will be where you want to be.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It might even increase the size of the (daytime) crowds - as others have said there are a lot of people who hang around the edge of WH field either at BB or the excellent food stalls in that area - being able to see the act playing whilst queuing or whatever could provide more of a connection and potentially hook a few more people into the crowd?

I wonder if they'll show the Bowie set at WH or has it already been confirmed for the Pyramid? Pyramid has always been a 'building site' on the weds and Thurs with stage building and sound testing going on so I'd be surprised if they wanted too many people milling around there. There's more going on around the WH area on weds and Thurs so might be a really good atmosphere round there.

56 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Kraftwerk would be so bloody good.

I hope this isn't heresy. I was SO excited to see Kraftwerk at Latitude a few years ago. The sound from the Obelisk (Main) Stage was incredible - perhaps the best I've ever heard on an outdoor stage of that size. The visuals were excellent, and the spectacle (I thank you) of the entire audience being in 3D glasses made it a real event.

But after 45 minutes I'd kind of had enough. I was a bit...bored.

I think that, for me, Kraftwerk are one of those incredibly important bands, whose music I like and admire and for whose contribution to much of my favourite music I will be forever grateful. But I think I like them a song at a time. Not all in one go.

Ben