Next Announcement thread

Matt42

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

Are u v same wiv txt spk

Not so much, especially if people are using accepted 'correct' convention.

No, my most recent ire has been generated by the ridiculous misappropriation of terms. Slang is fine, but when an adopted meaning is diametrically opposed to a word's original meaning it makes me mad! For example, how did dank ever become a term for something that is like well good and cool, innit?

And bear for 'lots of' e.g. "arright like, look at my bear dolla"**

** "Good day, my good man. I appear to have plenty of money with me today."

Ben

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

No, my most recent ire has been generated by the ridiculous misappropriation of terms. Slang is fine, but when an adopted meaning is diametrically opposed to a word's original meaning it makes me mad! For example, how did dank ever become a term for something that is like well good and cool, innit?

Ben

I hate it when people say 'sick' to mean good.

"This Glade line up is well sick innit."

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I know right that shit is wavey blud

Just talk right and it'll be pen

I think the announcement will be 9am we've not had an early one for a while 

Edited by sloseph

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I work with someone who also thinks that language froze in time somewhere in the 1950s and she seems to spend half her time 'correcting' people whose usage does'by fit within her narrow RP / Queen's English parameters.

Yeah...she's a gas.

That sounds fantastic, I don't think id stop using slang all day long 

I'd be like "yo Barbra, you wanna get on this hot drink tip? I got a hench mug full of Java with your name on it, all you've go to do is Holla and ill hook you up" 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I work with someone who also thinks that language froze in time somewhere in the 1950s and she seems to spend half her time 'correcting' people whose usage does'by fit within her narrow RP / Queen's English parameters.

Yeah...she's a gas.

It doesn't have to be that draconian Gonzo, of course. My 'problem' is that I love language, and so I do struggle when it is so poorly used. But to suggest that there is not an evolving picture of diminishing language skills amongst young, British people is, in my opinion, inaccurate. Does it matter? Well, that depends on one's own perspective, I suppose. If you can read something and phonetically work out what that person is trying to communicate, then is it a problem that they've failed to use accurate grammar, punctuation, spelling? 

Er. Yes.

:)

Ben

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah...she's a gas.

Does she use 'gay' in its original form?

25 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Dank comes from weed, good sticky dank weed.  

Also it is Bare, not Bear.  Spelled correctly it starts to fit it's context.  "Today I lifted bare weight, bruv"

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Also it is Bare, not Bear.  Spelled correctly it starts to fit it's context.  "Today I lifted bare weight, bruv"

No freekin' way, you streetsmart legend, Spindles?

I'll write those in my 'how to speak to young people' notebook.

Ben

Just now, Spindles said:

Well whoulda thunk it!

In youGov or whatevs is a regularly updated list of words teenagers use so parents know what the fuck their kids are texting about. I'll see if I can find it. Baffling.

*This is getting a bit mumsnet. 

7 minutes ago, sloseph said:

That sounds fantastic, I don't think id stop using slang all day long 

I'd be like "yo Barbra, you wanna get on this hot drink tip? I got a hench mug full of Java with your name on it, all you've go to do is Holla and ill hook you up" 

Oh man!  Ned spilt ink over my poems!

He's a real flat tyre....I mean a cube, man!  

He's putting us on a trip to Squaresville.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I don't think you need to be so pacific with your grammer on here.

A few weeks ago we had a briefing session during which the presenter said pacific four times.   I thought I was going to explode.   

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Come back next week when the lesson will be on the subject of "Piff hunnies"

Ugh. 'Salty' to describe someone as 'fit' makes my parental shit itch.

That and the younger Wofflings making my eyeballs feel like I've had 10 pints and a Wolf of Wall Street strength quaalude when showing me 'round their Minecraft world. 

I can't imagine salty meaning fit..... 'look at that girl, shes salty.......' sounds..... weird!

I however agree with the hatred of bare and dank. Unless Radiohead want to do a dub remix of Decks Dark called Decks Dank and then I am all for it :P