How long does each camping field take to fill?

JoeyT

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I've done a search but can't find anything so... I was wondering how long each camping area takes to fill as of gates opening?

I was originally going to ask about East Campervan fields specifically but figured the question may as well be open to every area so it can help as many people as possible to plan.

We arrived around 3 / 3.30pm on the Tues and just managed to squeeze in to E19.

Did they open the fields up prior to 12pm as stated on the website? Planning on leaving earlier this year if that's the case.

We were wondering this too.

Do the campervan fields open earlier than 12pm.

Also do you get a choice where you can pitch

:-D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in the camper van fields you are directed to the next available space in the field they are currently filling. So no choice ( but there is a small amount of rearraging awnings and group vans etc within each allotted space once the stewards have moved on). Within the perimeter fence the tent dwellers can pitch up wherever there is room.

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

i was there last year also, I don;t mind a walk and it was great to get some sleep and still have a laugh. we tend to take up a lot of room having a larger group.  it is a good hike from anywhere but the compost loos were great and clean. people were friendly enough but they always are no matter where you camp 

Yeah, I think we might head there again next year. Best sleep I've ever had at a festival. This is how much space we had around us on the Wednesday night. Was busier by the end of Thursday, but there was still plenty of room for more tents. 

image.thumb.jpeg.91dd1b3694e9cc0df4d6e74

2 hours ago, PaulKav said:

Which one would you recommend then that is pretty central also? Going to be getting there about 8am Wednesday so should be able to choose from any

You might need to arrive a little earlier than that, the queue is huge by then. 
Charm x

31 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Done Dairy Ground forever (just on the other side of the Arcadia fence specifically) and have loved it. However as we’re coming down later this year, and not wanting to rely on people putting our tent up, going to have to make the move.

@mr gumby would you mind sharing your thoughts on your experience at the family camping field at Wicket? I’ve got close friends who are bringing their two kids (2 and 8 respectively). I doubt they’ll manage to get in Cockmill and unsure whether to just camp in the usual places. Whats the trek to the kids field/pyramid etc?

Cockmill certainly has a better location for most families ( right by kids field, pyramid and acoustic, handy for all the eastern side of the fest). On the other hand it fills up quickly, and unless you're right by the path, getting any buggy or trolley to your tent can be tricky. 

We stayed in Wicket last year because we were on the coach (so arrived at Gate A), and didn't arrive until 5ish on Wednesday afternoon, so we knew Cockmill would be full. 

Pros:

Only about 10 mins walk from gate A. 

Crew were very helpful. 

Nice clean compost loos, including kids ones. Cleaner than the ones at Cockmill, which tend to get used a lot by people in Big Ground and those walking along Muddy Lane. 

Plenty of space all weekend, so getting buggies etc. to and from the tent was easy. 

Nice cafe just outside the field entrance for breakfast. 

Handy for John Peel, dance village, and not too far from pyramid. 

Cons:

Quite a trek to kids field and other eastern areas. I guess with a bit of planning, this isn't too much of an issue, as you can take bagfuls of supplies (jumpers, cans, snacks) and drop them in a lockup for collection in the evening. 

Despite the above, if you do forget anything and don't realise until you're sat happily in the Avalon cafe, it's a pain in the arse to go back!

Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, PaulKav said:

So is oxylers the place to be? First time going and everyone seems to say oxylers is the most enjoyable

I'd definitely recommend to avoid Oxylers at all camped, walked past it last year it just looked a riot, whereas Pennards is packed and there's an atmosphere with the risk involved in Oxylers, it's definitely where most of the stories of trouble come out of. 

As for me, getting the coach the past few times really limits where to go, as a trek with all our stuff isn't something I'm into, Pylon is fine, getting there on the Wednesday you can take your pick of a slot, though by the end of Thursday last year there wasn't a lot of space going at all

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

I would certainly say definitely avoid Dairy at all costs. Bags of shit and horrible. Camp elsewhere :P

You may joke, but I have genuinely had to contend with bags of shit and fighting seagulls in Park Home. It was fairly roomy around my tent last year so clearly everyone knows its a terrible place now.

That said, other than the odd noise of the flames, I couldn't tell I was in the same field as Arcadia. The Other Stage booming into life in the morning is much more of a problem. I do camp at the bottom though.

6 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd definitely recommend to avoid Oxylers at all camped, walked past it last year it just looked a riot, whereas Pennards is packed and there's an atmosphere with the risk involved in Oxylers, it's definitely where most of the stories of trouble come out of. 

I've camped there past two years just due to my friends being there! Camped in dairy ground previously as well. Can't say I've ever seen any trouble in Oxylers myself. Then again spend most my time away from my tent.

Oooooh I wonder if someone could help me out in here...

I still don't know if where I camped last year was an actual camping area. We were in the Arcadia field; if you enter that field from the South East (where the longdrops are) there's a thin slither of grass on your left which was (on the Wednesday) cordoned off by a metal fence open at one end which disappeared gradually until I think it was all gone by like the Friday.

We arrived around 2/3pm on the Wednesday on the coach and wanted to camp somewhere near the Park as the previous year in Row Mead we found we were too far from the Park area. Anyway, we trekked all the way over there to find there was no space whatsoever (don't think we ventured as far as South Park/the rest of that SW corner). On our way back from Pennard Hill Ground we saw a couple of people setting up tents in the aforementioned cordoned off strip of grass. We decided this was the best we were gonna get so we did the same.

Once we were set up we looked up at Arcadia and thought "Shit, this was a bad idea" (turned out great as we could watch Arcadia whilst drinking at the tent and I was out until 6/7am each night so it didn't disturb my sleep). Anyway, once we were sat down with our first beers and a few more people were pitching their tents around us we saw an overhead sign a little further down saying "NO CAMPING" but didn't know if it referred to the whole strip of grass. There were some stewards chatting and looking at us but there were like 30 tents set up by now so they probably thought it'd be pointless asking us to move.

Anyway, it was an amazing spot and we want to go back there this year if possible (arriving at 10am hopefully this year so if we're not allowed there should get an okay spot elsewhere).

Here's a picture of our view of Arcadia during 2manydjs. As you can see the path is just in front of us and the view is great. If anyone can help me out here I'd be very thankful.

IMAG0678.jpg

So I'm going on the Thursday by coach and its my first time. I'm going with my dad and girlfriend and only 2 fairly small tents. Don't mind walking as long as we have some idea of where we are going so where would people recommend us going. I was told before that Plyon would be ideal but now I've been reading this and it seems it won't be very good by Thursday.

Cheers

28 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

So I'm going on the Thursday by coach and its my first time. I'm going with my dad and girlfriend and only 2 fairly small tents. Don't mind walking as long as we have some idea of where we are going so where would people recommend us going. I was told before that Plyon would be ideal but now I've been reading this and it seems it won't be very good by Thursday.

Cheers

We were on a Thursday coach and camped in Darble, right next to Pylon Ground. Acres of room, and suited us as once we were up and out for the day, we weren't coming back to camp until we were going to bed, so being a bit further away from everything didn't matter as much. Plus it's a godsend in terms of not having to trek backwards and forwards to the coaches, as it's barely a 5 minute walk from the drop off/pick up point. 

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Oooooh I wonder if someone could help me out in here...

I still don't know if where I camped last year was an actual camping area. We were in the Arcadia field; if you enter that field from the South East (where the longdrops are) there's a thin slither of grass on your left which was (on the Wednesday) cordoned off by a metal fence open at one end which disappeared gradually until I think it was all gone by like the Friday.

We arrived around 2/3pm on the Wednesday on the coach and wanted to camp somewhere near the Park as the previous year in Row Mead we found we were too far from the Park area. Anyway, we trekked all the way over there to find there was no space whatsoever (don't think we ventured as far as South Park/the rest of that SW corner). On our way back from Pennard Hill Ground we saw a couple of people setting up tents in the aforementioned cordoned off strip of grass. We decided this was the best we were gonna get so we did the same.

Once we were set up we looked up at Arcadia and thought "Shit, this was a bad idea" (turned out great as we could watch Arcadia whilst drinking at the tent and I was out until 6/7am each night so it didn't disturb my sleep). Anyway, once we were sat down with our first beers and a few more people were pitching their tents around us we saw an overhead sign a little further down saying "NO CAMPING" but didn't know if it referred to the whole strip of grass. There were some stewards chatting and looking at us but there were like 30 tents set up by now so they probably thought it'd be pointless asking us to move.

Anyway, it was an amazing spot and we want to go back there this year if possible (arriving at 10am hopefully this year so if we're not allowed there should get an okay spot elsewhere).

Here's a picture of our view of Arcadia during 2manydjs. As you can see the path is just in front of us and the view is great. If anyone can help me out here I'd be very thankful.

IMAG0678.jpg

Did your tent get spray painted with the silver Arcadia sign by any chance?

I think you were simply in the new Arcadia camping area as this was description on their page in the Glastonbury site:

Arcadia are sending out an open invitation to anyone who shares an ethos of respect for natural camping spaces, waste consciousness, recycling and community to join them in the public campsite at the top of their field by The Park. Arcadia will be installing a fire area on the campsite to encourage unity and connection, and will be offering a free Arcadia t-shirt to anyone who brings 3 full bags of recyclable waste to the Arcadia camping pen to help support that spirit.

Edited by shoptildrop

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Did your tent get spray painted with the silver Arcadia sign by any chance?

I think you were simply in the new Arcadia camping area as this was description on their page in the Glastonbury site:

Arcadia are sending out an open invitation to anyone who shares an ethos of respect for natural camping spaces, waste consciousness, recycling and community to join them in the public campsite at the top of their field by The Park. Arcadia will be installing a fire area on the campsite to encourage unity and connection, and will be offering a free Arcadia t-shirt to anyone who brings 3 full bags of recyclable waste to the Arcadia camping pen to help support that spirit.

Ah sweet, thank you! I'll definitely head there again next year, then.

Nah I didn't get sprayed with the logo. We saw them asking a few people but I think they'd gone past our tent by the time we'd gotten back from wherever we'd been.

21 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

We were on a Thursday coach and camped in Darble, right next to Pylon Ground. Acres of room, and suited us as once we were up and out for the day, we weren't coming back to camp until we were going to bed, so being a bit further away from everything didn't matter as much. Plus it's a godsend in terms of not having to trek backwards and forwards to the coaches, as it's barely a 5 minute walk from the drop off/pick up point. 

Thanks. I've seen Darble mentioned before. I think we will go for that. I assume it's well signposted?

7 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

Thanks. I've seen Darble mentioned before. I think we will go for that. I assume it's well signposted?

It won't be, it's literally the first place as you walk in Gate A! Have a check here, it'll give you a good idea of how close it is to the entrance, and how far away it is from everywhere else. 

http://glastomap.com/

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Why do so many people seem to spell Oxlyers as 'Oxylers'?!

I'll be camping in Diary again.

:)

Ben

I like Dairy, roomy and attracts the kind of folk I don't mind spending a week around, the strip of fields between gates A and D are also pretty chilled.

I've stayed in Pennards all three times i've been and I love it. Close to Park and the naughty corner, but also not too much of a slog to the Pyramid etc. 

Last year arrived to Pennards around midday/1pm due to shocking long wait to get into the festival despite arriving in early hours, and from the pathway it looked rammed. However when we actually delved into the field further we found a fantastic little camping spot! And there were generally a fair few patches of beautiful green greass.

Weird thing was though even though it was rammed with tents by wednesday evening we hardly saw any actual people near our campsite, so was oddly peaceful this year.