New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

12 hours ago, ErnestWorthing said:

this was my trial run at noon, 3 man poled, dunno why yours is so light 

3A887104-C800-4DAA-B893-7FF0172EF16B.jpeg

Something definitely doesn't seem right with mine then 😂 we have the 4.1 Fresh&Black - I just had to double check that they didn't send us the wrong one but it's definitely showing as the blackout version. Even in the corner of the bedrooms there was loads of light coming in. The door was open slightly here so it's a bad photo but you can still see the light coming in from the corners underneath the tent.

IMG_0771.JPG

8 hours ago, D-Low said:

Something definitely doesn't seem right with mine then 😂 we have the 4.1 Fresh&Black - I just had to double check that they didn't send us the wrong one but it's definitely showing as the blackout version. Even in the corner of the bedrooms there was loads of light coming in. The door was open slightly here so it's a bad photo but you can still see the light coming in from the corners underneath the tent.

IMG_0771.JPG

Is your outter layer pegged correctly over the inner? Might have skipped a loop or something?

Well after our new tents arrived MH100xl, we gave them a trial run this morning and noticed a small pin prick hole and defect in one of them on the inner tent groundsheet. 

Decathlon have been great,been speaking with them via their chat tool.

I have posted the tent back today to them via Asda and sent them proof of postage, they have already issued a replacement tent that will arrive Monday. 

Really can't fault that for customer service. 

22 hours ago, shayne66 said:

Well after our new tents arrived MH100xl, we gave them a trial run this morning and noticed a small pin prick hole and defect in one of them on the inner tent groundsheet. 

Decathlon have been great,been speaking with them via their chat tool.

I have posted the tent back today to them via Asda and sent them proof of postage, they have already issued a replacement tent that will arrive Monday. 

Really can't fault that for customer service. 

That's good to know Shayne.

I've noticed some pin pricks of light showing through the outer skin of mine above the inner tent. If it does let in water over Glasto I will be returning it. I'm lucky to be within driving distance of Southampton Decathlon.

I will photograph it and show them when I get there. I don't want money back just a replacement.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

12 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

That's good to know Shayne.

I've noticed some pin pricks of light showing through the outer skin of mine above the inner tent. If it does let in water over Glasto I will be returning it. I'm lucky to be within driving distance of Southampton Decathlon.

I will photograph it and show them when I get there. I don't want money back just a replacement.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

I saw pinpricks of light when mine was new too, but never had any issues with noticing rain getting in. I used it last at Glastonbury during the wet 2016 year and it was fine. It alarmed me too when I first noticed them but hasn't seemed to be an issue yet. There's always duct tape too…

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

I saw pinpricks of light when mine was new too, but never had any issues with noticing rain getting in. I used it last at Glastonbury during the wet 2016 year and it was fine. It alarmed me too when I first noticed them but hasn't seemed to be an issue yet. There's always duct tape too…

Could be just the silver coating inside is patchy so it lets light through and looks like a hole?

Just now, Twiggy553 said:

Could be just the silver coating inside is patchy so it lets light through and looks like a hole?

Yeah, I came to the same sort of conclusion. Probably a tiny defect with the 'fresh and black' part of the tent, but not an issue with the 'is a functional tent' part of the tent!

6 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I think this is what it is. Mine has a few of these then also 4 holes where one of my cats went to hit a fly but missed and put there claw through the tent. You can feel the holes from this but nothing on the other ones but they look exactly the same 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, D-Low said:

IMG_0771.JPG

We did a trial run this weekend and had exactly the same issues. Very bright inside, couldnt class it as a blackout tent.

I've skimmed through this thread (enviously) so apologies if this has already been asked but... I've got an arpenaz 4.1 (not f&b) shell only (marketplace scammer, don't ask 😑) so looking to get a replacement bedroom compartment. I'm now  wondering would you get some f&b benefits from putting an f&b bedroom in the outer we've got? Or is it pointless? Having not yet owned (sacrilege) an F&B I wasn't sure if both elements are required to add up to freshness and darkness?

All speculation welcome ! 

Thanks 🙂

10 minutes ago, chelseadisco said:

I've skimmed through this thread (enviously) so apologies if this has already been asked but... I've got an arpenaz 4.1 (not f&b) shell only (marketplace scammer, don't ask 😑) so looking to get a replacement bedroom compartment. I'm now  wondering would you get some f&b benefits from putting an f&b bedroom in the outer we've got? Or is it pointless? Having not yet owned (sacrilege) an F&B I wasn't sure if both elements are required to add up to freshness and darkness?

All speculation welcome ! 

Thanks 🙂

Utterly pointless. It's all in the flysheet.

IMG_0771.JPG

With my 2 man pop-up, I opened loads of vents in 2019 when it was too hot, then couldn't get it properly dark again, but it was dark originally.  Hopefully it's a setup issue for you, like it was for me.

• Like 1

IMG_0771.JPG

Did a test run of mine this evening, the outer fly actually clips in to the inner lining by the bottom corners, I'd missed that originally, it pulls it a lot tighter. 

I also noticed that I'd attached the velcro clips on the outer layer too high on the poles originally. Because of the hooks attaching the inner sheet to the poles they couldn't slide down, letting light in. Moved the velcro down to before the next lower hook and the outer layer fit much more snugly.

If that made any sense, I've said outer and inner too many times!

On 6/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

With my 2 man pop-up, I opened loads of vents in 2019 when it was too hot, then couldn't get it properly dark again, but it was dark originally.  Hopefully it's a setup issue for you, like it was for me.

I was looking and it seems like the ventilation had velcro straps on mine, maybe that could be the cause?

• Like 1

Test run completed on our 4.1 F&B poles on Sunday. Should have taken 15 minutes (love that its one piece plus poles and pegs) but it took us 2 hours and eventually both of us brute forcing to get the centre pole into both sides. Unsure either of us (or many people in general) could do it solo. Anyone else experience this or got any tips to make it easier?

Regarding light in the tent, certainly wasn't truly blackout like in the store but an awful lot better than a non-blackout tent. Seemed cool enough inside but it wasn't up for long and not in direct sun for most of the time. I figure some reflection and darkness is better than none. Hoping it holds true to the promise come next week!

On 6/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

I think this is what it is. Mine has a few of these then also 4 holes where one of my cats went to hit a fly but missed and put there claw through the tent. You can feel the holes from this but nothing on the other ones but they look exactly the same 

Can't believe you're making excuses for the cat. 4 holes where the cat went for the tent in full knowledge you were using it to escape them. 

I had to confiscate my sealed ice bag from the cat this morning, who had found it somehow and decided she was going to chew a hole in to make it anything but a sealed ice bag. 

6 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Can't believe you're making excuses for the cat. 4 holes where the cat went for the tent in full knowledge you were using it to escape them. 

I had to confiscate my sealed ice bag from the cat this morning, who had found it somehow and decided she was going to chew a hole in to make it anything but a sealed ice bag. 

My cats are inexcusable. I had another tent up, a really old one that I was re waterproofing and was up in the garden for a few days. When I went to take it town I found they had been using it as a giant litter tray, I have 3 cats 

7 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Test run completed on our 4.1 F&B poles on Sunday. Should have taken 15 minutes (love that its one piece plus poles and pegs) but it took us 2 hours and eventually both of us brute forcing to get the centre pole into both sides. Unsure either of us (or many people in general) could do it solo. Anyone else experience this or got any tips to make it easier?

Regarding light in the tent, certainly wasn't truly blackout like in the store but an awful lot better than a non-blackout tent. Seemed cool enough inside but it wasn't up for long and not in direct sun for most of the time. I figure some reflection and darkness is better than none. Hoping it holds true to the promise come next week!

Don't. This is my nightmare. I strugglednwith my test run too and have to set it up solo. Well, with my 7 year old and I'm sure he'll lose interest within 5 mins.

Can you stop by Wickets camping on weds afternoon to give me a hand? 😜

Getting the poles into the feet is pure brute force. My wife is strong but I still don’t think she could do it alone.

hopefully they’ve done it this way to account for stretch/flex over repeated use and it’ll get easier over time.

2 hours ago, sam1981 said:

Don't. This is my nightmare. I strugglednwith my test run too and have to set it up solo. Well, with my 7 year old and I'm sure he'll lose interest within 5 mins.

Can you stop by Wickets camping on weds afternoon to give me a hand? 😜

20 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Getting the poles into the feet is pure brute force. My wife is strong but I still don’t think she could do it alone.

hopefully they’ve done it this way to account for stretch/flex over repeated use and it’ll get easier over time.

9 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

I’ve used mine twice, had the same issue the first time (although it didn’t take 2hrs!) but it was noticeably easier the second time. Hoping it’ll be even easier next time round. 
Maybe put it up again before the festival? And leave it up as long as you can, to stretch the fabric?

• Thanks 2

I gave the 3 person F&B (Mh100?)  a go at the weekend.  Easy to get setup but the festival was super windy and the ground hard so I didn't peg it down as well as I should.   This tent really needs this if you don't want it flapping around like mad don't skimp on this like I did.

It was certainly dark inside and I was happily sleeping in well into the 11am territory without realising.   The darkness is really oppressive though and very hard to find things.  Get a proper strong light for it.  I had an ancient 3 euro pop up lantern with a single LED in it and it just didn't cut it.

I think when I put it up for Glastonbury I will run fairy lights on the inside before putting on the over sheet.. Might help with that a bit.  I am hoping they'll show up a bit on the outside too so they can do double duty as "This isn't the Fresh and Black you are looking for".