What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

One of the joys of being at a festival is that you can divorce yourself from the outside world.  So why not switch your phone off.  Maybe just put it on a couple of times a day to check all is OK at home or to fix a meet up with mates.  That way pretty well any battery will last the fest.

I have already decided that I'm not taking a phone this year. I have been to over 30 festivals and this will be the first time I completely turn off the outside world - yep, I'm going complete gangsta. Not even the friends I'm attending with will be able to contact me if I go missing. Can't bloody wait.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

One of the joys of being at a festival is that you can divorce yourself from the outside world.  So why not switch your phone off.  Maybe just put it on a couple of times a day to check all is OK at home or to fix a meet up with mates.  That way pretty well any battery will last the fest.

Had my phone on far too much last year and did not have as much fun (though it was still superb).

The plan is that this year the phone will go off when we arrive and stay off until we leave.

Good for all of those who've said they'll cut down on phone use.  Apart from anything else it's not always easy to get a signal as so many others seem to be permanently phoning.

If you go with a bunch of mates and choose to go your separate ways for an explore or to see something different you can always pre-arrange to meet up at a particular place and time.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Good for all of those who've said they'll cut down on phone use.  Apart from anything else it's not always easy to get a signal as so many others seem to be permanently phoning.

If you go with a bunch of mates and choose to go your separate ways for an explore or to see something different you can always pre-arrange to meet up at a particular place and time.

Pre-arranged meeting points is a very good idea. With so many people in a relatively small space as well as issues with signal text messages can take hours or even a day to come through!

Definitely take a phone, it is nice to go off on your own and go exploring without having pressure of finding your friends later on. Can also use to take photos which is nice, but I will say it is such a powerful place that it will stay in your memory forever (certainly has for me!) so you won't need photos really, you'll have vivid and stunning memories to look back on

My top 3 tips:

Take decent footwear  

Get fit - more energy to do what you want and less aches and pains

Choose a handful of favourite your acts but don't overplan everything

Regarding phones, I've done two years without and last year I took one. I really enjoyed going without a phone but it was also nice to take a couple of pictures to share with my family - next time I will probably leave the phone in the lock-up as I prefer not having to worry about it.

Make sure you have cut your toenails! Waltzing round in yer wellies/boots for 5 days constantly on yet on feet may sound like a breeze but when one of those unclipped toenails snaps and digs into yer other toe you'll know about it! Learnt from experience. Blood everywhere! Safety first guys X

5 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Make sure you have cut your toenails! Waltzing round in yer wellies/boots for 5 days constantly on yet on feet may sound like a breeze but when one of those unclipped toenails snaps and digs into yer other toe you'll know about it! Learnt from experience. Blood everywhere! Safety first guys X

Oh, good idea. Cut them before you go though, unless you have very rapid growth!

Someone on here once suggested sorting a change of clothes for each day into a separate binliner when you pack, leaving you with dry clean clothes and a supply of bags for the festival, which seemed sensible.

I always buy 2 cheap packs of cotton socks from primark and wear them doubled to prevent blisters.  The feeling of brand new socks every day makes my feet happy.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Someone on here once suggested sorting a change of clothes for each day into a separate binliner when you pack, leaving you with dry clean clothes and a supply of bags for the festival, which seemed sensible.

I always buy 2 cheap packs of cotton socks from primark and wear them doubled to prevent blisters.  The feeling of brand new socks every day makes my feet happy.

What i do at the very least is pack a full fresh clean set inc shoes and bag it up and leave it in the car or bottom of my rucksack so at least i have clean dry clothes to get home in.