David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent a tweet to EE regarding the bowie 2000 gig. No response. I very  rarely use twitter so not too up on it. I presume it was received. 

I read somewhere about possibly starting a petition, personally I don't agree with that. Whilst the intention is to celebrate his life, there is a family's grief to think about. Im not sure that is the way forward.

Is there any other way of attracting attention to it?

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Dave Grohl, Brian Molko, Robert Smith, DB, Billy Corgan, Pat Smear, Black Francais, Kim Gordon, Nate Mendel and Skin, and then I'm starting to struggle 

Hmm I'm thinking that Skin is actually Gail Ann Dorsey from Bowie's band, and the guy with the dreads is Zachary Alford, who was drumming in the band too. Mike Garson is the guy back right with the sunglasses on by the looks of it.

Just googling who was in the band for that concert.

Still have no idea who the guy in the white shirt next to Robert Smith is though.

a2285bf0d9dde8e0f2be4cd11933a5e7.jpg

Edited by ericlered

6 Music has been my own saviour.   When my wife told me I went straight for the radio. Sean Keaveny was immense. Imagine having something that big happen during a show and having to deal with it in real time? It ended up being an amazing but crushingly sad show. Well done Sean. Lauren was wonderful as she too was obviously shell shocked then Mark Radcliffe did his best with a last min documentary. Felt he was a little too professional about it all though and lacked the raw emotion of the previous two. Not that it was a bad thing. Probs what was needed after that morning. I have to assume Steve Lamacq isn't that much of a fan then there was poor old Marc Riley. He was beyond immense. Admitted he nearly sacked the show off but came in and really glad he did. I sat in a dark bedroom with my sleeping infant daughter, red eyed and tear soaked (that was me on this occasion). Didn't make it to Gideon Coe. What a sad day but truly grateful we have 6 Music. 

12 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

What I find odd about a lot of the eulogising of Bowie, is how many people seemed to have been unaware of his existence before Ziggy, and the famous Top Of The Pops appearance. It's as if nothing existed before then. All the talk of how shocking it was seeing Bowie drape his arm round Mick Ronson....err...  Mick & Keith?

Whats surprised me over the last few days is how varied "my Bowie" is and how different people got into him at different stages. Of all the songs, albums and gigs people have been posting and mentioning, none of them are the same. 

For me, he was always someone whos best years were behind him until I listened to Heathen and then Reality. First and only time I saw him was in 2003 and its still as good as I've ever seen. Completely reassessed him during that period. I think The Next Day is good in parts and Blackstar is complete genius.

Talking to my dad last night, the Glass Spider tour was the best time he saw Bowie, with Peter Frampton on guitar. Looking at the live footage now, it seems pretty dated. 

Anyway, your post reminds me of this.

Edited by The Nal

36 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

Next to Robert Smith looks like Foo Fighters first drummer other than Grohl

William Goldsmith yeah? Also Nate Mendell of the Foos is in the back row I think (white shirt). Basically it's Bowie and his band, Foo Fighters, Placebo, Sonic Youth, Black Francis, Robert Smith and Billy Corgan.

7 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was expecting Wooderson to be the first to jump over this and Russy's derision of Golden years with his Monsters and Station love

Those records are ace. More "conventional" songs of course but still, ace.

20 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The difference I've noticed between the media coverage and us lot, is that the interviews and documentaries keep banging on about his gender bending and his personas.  I get the feeling that most of you lot (like me) couldn't give a monkeys* about whether he wore a dress, but are generally enthralled and spellbound by the wonderful records.

* I don't mean to belittle the effect he has had in giving the LGBT confidence to express themselves, it's just to me far far less interesting that his primary art - the music.  

Not for me. It’s integral to everything about him and the way I experience his songs. The feeling of limitlessness. The idea of being anything you want to be. Whilst the tributes alone do prove what a huge impact his image had on a lot of people who identify as part of the LBGT movement (dunno if that’s the right word), it goes beyond that. Personally, his contribution to destroying traditional notions of masculinity were important.

I think it’s too much a part of the music to separate it. 

Back on the subject of his Glastonbury set, and how amazing it was.... 

A few months (I think) after he did that 'Bowie at the Beeb' recording, which you can get on CD. The set is very similar to the Glastonbury one, and whenever I listen to it I always think it sounds exactly how I remember it sounding in front of the pyramid that night (despit it being a different gig). Anyway, you can also find it on youtube, but the audio on it's own is amazing when cranked up loud.

On 1/13/2016 at 3:57 PM, tonyblair said:

:P

A colleague at work was saying how ridiculous it is, the amount of fuss about Bowie dying. I was trying to explain what he means to many people. And he was saying, "yea, but they're comparing him to Elvis, & Lennon, and people like that". I said to many people, millions of 'em, he IS as big as anyone to them. 

The Elvis comparisons are a joke in fairness... Elvis was an icon but just a singer - Bowie not only performed some of the greatest songs, but wrote them all too

On 1/12/2016 at 10:20 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

A lot of good people in one picture 

image.jpeg

I was at the gig that photo was taken at - it's his 50th Birthday concert from Madison Square Garden in 1997. Lou Reed also played, but for some reason isn't in the picture. Still to this day the most incredible concert I've ever seen.

Placebo were support then the rest was a Bowie gig with the various bands and singers joining him to duet on certain songs. Quicksand with Robert Smith was incredible but the four song segment with Lou Reed (White Light, Queen Bitch, Waiting for the Man and Dirty Boulevard) just blew me away. 

What people might not know about his Glastonbury set is he intended it to be much longer - he didn't realise there was a curfew so the warm up shows in New York a few days before featured enough songs to do well over 3 hours (which I saw him do a few times over the years)

Also the BBC Radio Theatre show that someones posted was recorded just two days after Glastonbury. If you look at the CD booklet that accompanied the  3CD "Bowie at the Beeb" set, it includes the names of the audience!!

Happy memories of a true legend