Sigur Ros

admscott

No orchestration? Hmm. Ive wanted to see SR for years, but I want to have a proper experience. 

My mates all want to see Underworld, Im happy to see them too, this news tips the scales towards Underworld now... not seen Floorfillers vid yet though

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

obviously don't watch if you're looking for a surprise when seeing them, but this looks incredible. any doubts i had about the three piece pulling it off gone in one fell swoop. they are gonna destroy the JP tent

Wow, that looks amazing! I'm not going to watch any of the other videos but I had to watch one :lol:. Really stoked for their set!!

People keep saying they're worried about getting in the tent. I know this forum is full of fans but are they really going to pack the tent well before they start up against Muse, Disclosure, Underworld etc? I was expecting to be able to walk over after foals and have no trouble getting in at the end of Alunageorge. How early to people expect there to be crowd issues?

In the old location the JP always filled from the left side first with crowds often standing outside, the right side always seem to be less busy and easier to access for some reason. I'd imagine you'd have no problem getting into SR just before they start, although if you want a prime position you have to get their a little in advance. 

With Muse, Underworld, Disclosure all on at the same time I don't see the JP being impossible to get into close to the perfomance.

See, I don't know if I really consider Muse, Underworld or Disclosure as being a particularly strong set of alternatives.  No more so than almost any other night in recent G history.

Muse'll get a big old crowd, sure, but even when the Pyramid Stage is chocka there are still enough other folk on site to jam any of the smaller stages way past capacity.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

See, I don't know if I really consider Muse, Underworld or Disclosure as being a particularly strong set of alternatives.  No more so than almost any other night in recent G history.

Muse'll get a big old crowd, sure, but even when the Pyramid Stage is chocka there are still enough other folk on site to jam any of the smaller stages way past capacity.

I think Sigur Ros have the weakest competition of the three days, by quite a wide margin. JP is going to be rammed.

Historically, I'm a big fan of Sigur Rós - I have signed copies of a few of their albums and DVDs, I've had numerous chats with their manager, learnt the lyrics to the Icelandic songs, and I even have an Indian restaurant receipt signed by the band and their families circa 2002 when I literally bumped into them in Sheffield after the Leadmill gig.

I'll be avoiding them at Glastonbury.

See, I'm a fan of their "grander" works - orchestra, choir, soundscapes, all that.  I saw them on their no-strings Inni tour (filmed at Alexandra Palace and released on DVD/Blu-ray) and it just didn't click for me.  Songs like Hoppipolla just had massive, obtuse gaps where strings should have been.  I understand their setlist this time is better tailored to avoid that type of thing, but then the problem for me is that I'm just not terribly keen on their guitar+drums things.  I saw them twice on their most recent arena tour which had strings (but not Amiina) and it just worked so much better for me.

The video posted on the previous page looks impressive, and they're gonna put on a hell of a show for you guys at Glastonbury.  They've always put on incredible stage shows, for example, Inni with its projected water fountains -

- and massive fans at the back of the stage blowing confetti out through the band during Popplagið - 

And, although not strictly Sigur Rós, Jonsi's solo concert was absolutely, unexpectedly phenomenal and, to date, ranks as the best use of projection I've ever seen, as seen here when the warehouse backdrop (that's been present throughout the entire concert) tears away at the end of the song and still sends shivers down my spine -

But, I think with the direction Sigur Rós are going, and seeing as their most recent album didn't strike any chords with me, I'm slightly sad to say I think my time with the band is coming to a close. That's just how things go - they're moving on, and so am I. It's like an amicable breakup.  I'll always have the memories.  Or something.

Edited by Sidasta
Formatting

1 hour ago, RyanS said:

I was hoping to leave Stormzy 5-10 mins early and slot into the tent a few minutes before they start.  Do we think that might be difficult then?  I've never seen a JP headliner before.

This is my plan too and I think it'll be manageable. I'll be surprised if it ends up being a struggle to get into the tent before their set starts. 

19 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I must have heard it 100s of times and it still jolts me when the drop comes!

She was really lucky! The fact that it was in Redditch made her absolutely convinced it was a wind-up, even when all of the confirmation details were emailed. I told her that no way would anyone bother with that degree of detail for a troll! She said they were amazing - just the three of them.

Though my least favourite (but still excellent) incarnation was their most recent, with about 9 on stage and no Kjarri ( :( ) I do hope they have at least a little help. I can't imagine them pulling off Starálfur with just the three of them...).

Haven't seen them since they were road testing some of the Kveikur songs pre-album release, so pretty excited. The JPT will be where the beautiful people are...

Presumably you'll be wearing your trademark 'Yes, it is me. I am russy' t-shirt so we can all pay appropriate homage...?

:)

Ben

Glad to hear her report was positive! Redditch does seem a very curious choice of venue. Any idea why they picked there?

I am a bit peeved that it's just the three of them but I'll even accept a bit of a backing track if necessary. Either way, my hopes are sky high and this will be one of the musical highlights no doubt.

People are making me nervous now that the tent will be rammed..but I still think it'll be half or three quarters full only.

Doves were still quite popular in 2009 and they didn't fill it. Mgmt barely half filled it, and they were up against unpopular metallica. Flaming lips crowd was pretty tiny in 2000 and the national (who I didn't see admittedly) played to about 50 people in 2009, when they were up against blur and the prodigy

Edit has anyone been there for a headliner where the tent has been packed with people stood outside?

Edited by russycarps

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

What was it like for Suede last year? If Suede didn't pack the tent out to a ridiculous level vs the controversial Kanye, Deadmau5 and Mothership then Sigur Ros aren't gonna vs their widely more popular options 

About 2/3 full. Plenty of room.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Echo and the bunnymen not the national against blur and prodigy in 2009. Probably less than 50 there. 

Ah yeah. National were up against the verve and groove armada on the main stages in 2008 it seems. Those 50 people got an ace set list though!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

What was it like for Suede last year? If Suede didn't pack the tent out to a ridiculous level vs the controversial Kanye, Deadmau5 and Mothership then Sigur Ros aren't gonna vs their widely more popular options 

I went in as La Roux was finishing and got a great position. It seemed pretty full by the time they came on. BBC reported that it was so full people had to stay outside, although that could be them bullshitting or it could be that people thought it was full but they would have got in easily through the old side entrance. 

You will have absolutely no problem getting in for Sigur Ros if you get there beforehand. Probably no problem if you are a bit late to be honest, although you might not get a great spot.

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

I went in as La Roux was finishing and got a great position. It seemed pretty full by the time they came on. BBC reported that it was so full people had to stay outside, although that could be them bullshitting or it could be that people thought it was full but they would have got in easily through the old side entrance. 

We went round the right hand side as you look at the tent, the north entrance if you like and there was a fair bit of room there (this was while the first song was playing) though it looked busy down the front

On 05/06/2016 at 9:13 PM, FloorFiller said:

obviously don't watch if you're looking for a surprise when seeing them, but this looks incredible. any doubts i had about the three piece pulling it off gone in one fell swoop. they are gonna destroy the JP tent

Dear Lord that looks fantastic, excitement levels increasing 

7 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Interesting at Primavera the front section was arguably more packed for Sigur Ros than for LCD. Or at least going at a similar time it was considerably easier to get a good spot for LCD. Could be to do with the sort of crowd though. 

Coachella reviews indicate not many people turned up for LCD there, either.

i saw them rehearse the new show

so , quick word. they are better than ever and its the best i have seen them.

sonically, the sound HUGE. the lack of strings or brass means nothing.

also, its their best lighting and visuals ever. you guys are in for a treat. gonna hit citadel for sure