Sigur Ros

admscott

I take it popplagid is popplagio? Also known as sigur 8. Icelandic to English translations far from my strong point...... If so can't think of a better song to end on. Looks great loving the pics of their set. Here's hoping JPT is full and not too sparse for them so an atmosphere can build up for the crescendo!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Drinky said:

I thought it was confirmed that there's no LCD clash? SR are Friday JP, LCD Sunday Other (according to the LCD thread).

Not definitely. There's still a small bit of chance LCD could be friday. We'll have to wait till tomorrow and see.

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Had in my head that they'd said this tour would be stripped down. But re-reading their website it doesn't say that, just that they'll be working out new songs as they go. Although that will be difficult with a large ensemble, and there's only 3 people in that photo...

i believe the stripped down shows were for a few shows they were doing in America or something similar, and hopefully separate from the European shows and festivals they announced. if they stick to just one or two new songs i could live with that

1 minute ago, mungo57 said:

I take it popplagid is popplagio? Also known as sigur 8. Icelandic to English translations far from my strong point...... If so can't think of a better song to end on. Looks great loving the pics of their set. Here's hoping JPT is full and not too sparse for them so an atmosphere can build up for the crescendo!

i assume it is - they've been ending on it for years

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i believe the stripped down shows were for a few shows they were doing in America or something similar, and hopefully separate from the European shows and festivals they announced. if they stick to just one or two new songs i could live with that

i assume it is - they've been ending on it for years

Excellent thanks mate - have never got round to seeing SR and haven't made a habit of attempting to read their set lists so didn't know. Thanks

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

How did they choose the fans?  Was it fans that are also 'in the biz'?

Does look very pretty and that's a good set list. Glad it looks like I can catch this now.

I got an email from Songkick saying I was invited because I tracked "Sigur Ros" and gigs in Birmingham, thought that was pretty cool. They also had it on Sigur Ros' official forum.

Just now, Al2006 said:

I got an email from Songkick saying I was invited because I tracked "Sigur Ros" and gigs in Birmingham, thought that was pretty cool. They also had it on Sigur Ros' official forum.

Oh, that is cool. Random email invites to see a band like SR is pretty ballin'. I did check the official forum but I must have missed the thread.

1 hour ago, mungo57 said:

Here's hoping JPT is full and not too sparse for them so an atmosphere can build up for the crescendo!

I'm predicting that it will be pretty rammed.

aye hoping they pull a sizeable crowd. not sure how they're seen by the general Glastonbury attendees, but they're undeniably a pretty big act for that tent, and are a nice change from what appears to be happening across the other main stages at the same time. hopefully they've got a decent sub who i can catch the end of after Foals and get a good spot. great first night!

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

aye hoping they pull a sizeable crowd. not sure how they're seen by the general Glastonbury attendees, but they're undeniably a pretty big act for that tent, and are a nice change from what appears to be happening across the other main stages at the same time. hopefully they've got a decent sub who i can catch the end of after Foals and get a good spot. great first night!

There'll surely be a huge catchment between the general Underworld crowd and the general Muse and Disclosure crowds. No idea who's gonna be Park at that time - with a bit of luck it'll be Hawley.

I can see quite a lot of us doing the Foals > most of JP sub > Sigur Ros run, especially if the sub is Explosions in the Sky. Really looking forward to them though as I was resigned to missing them for LCD Soundsystem since they were announced so glad I can see them now.

Edited by kingcrawler

13 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I can see quite a lot of us doing the Foals > most of JP sub > Sigur Ros run, especially if the sub is Explosions in the Sky. Really looking forward to them though as I was resigned to missing them for LCD Soundsystem since they were announced so glad I can see them now.

aye i would've gone to see LCD if it had come down to it, but unlike most clashes where i would've just forgotten about the other act(s) during the set, i think i would've literally been torn and wondering what i was missing the whole way. so so glad it looks like that doesn't have to happen. it would've sucked

Bit gutted they're playing in the JP tent to be fair. Was really hoping for a magical open air set (Park, West Holts maybe) with a perfectly timed sun-set. Guess we can't win them all though.

Anyone know if the show is likely to have a full band or the new three piece they're playing as at the moment?

10 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Bit gutted they're playing in the JP tent to be fair. Was really hoping for a magical open air set (Park, West Holts maybe) with a perfectly timed sun-set. Guess we can't win them all though.

Anyone know if the show is likely to have a full band or the new three piece they're playing as at the moment?

There are pics and a setlist of their only show of this tour on the page before this one. Does seem like it fits the John Peel stage - and yeah it's just the three dudes.

With that setlist and setting, and it being the first act that I see in the relocated John Peel stage, this is fast becoming my most anticipated set. I do quite like AlunaGeorge as well and I've never seen them so I'm not even finding it a bad thing hanging around beforehand.

41 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Foals > Savages > Sigur Ros would be perfect for me but I really don't think it's manageable! I really don't want to have to miss the end of Foals or the start of SR. Arrrrgh :( 

Do what I'm doing and leave Foals for Lisbon. 

ZZ Top > Ronnie Spector > Sigur Rós for my Friday night :)

2 hours ago, D-Low said:

My partner was hoping the same thing, but then said that when he saw them last (although it was a fair few years ago) they had 'things' which happened that would necessitate their playing at JP rather than outside. Was not any more specific than that and told me not to YouTube or Google anything so I didn't spoil it for myself! May well look anyway... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Are they renowned for their stage shows? Bit of an unknown entity to me live these little. 

I shouldn't be allowed to type before a coffee in the morning.

I think I meant 'entity to me live, this lot'

for years I've thought I would like Sigur Ros but every time I asked where to start I was always told Takk, for some reason Takk just doesn't excite me, it just leaves me bored and cold

so I've finally given up on that album

instead I've listened to Kveikur and it's brilliant,  now I'm really excited to see these guys live  and delve deeper into their back catalogue

I can't believe how long I've been missing out because of their most popular album

10 minutes ago, sloseph said:

for years I've thought I would like Sigur Ros but every time I asked where to start I was always told Takk, for some reason Takk just doesn't excite me, it just leaves me bored and cold

so I've finally given up on that album

instead I've listened to Kveikur and it's brilliant,  now I'm really excited to see these guys live  and delve deeper into their back catalogue

I can't believe how long I've been missing out because of their most popular album

I was the same really when I first tried SR. Started with Kveikur, then Takk and was left a bit cold.

Try () next. Cracker of an album.

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Are they renowned for their stage shows? Bit of an unknown entity to me live these little. 

I wouldn't have said so, really.

Last time out they performed the first 20 minutes or so behind a sort of shimmery curtain thing that had projections on it - which then dropped to reveal the band at a certain crescendo.

But I think that's more or less it.