ME this evening

jackmca

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i'd see what i could find out about the pipeline as there does seem to be some interest in it.  These days i work for the system operator (lecky side though) so thought i may be able to get into some decent info, didn't get very far as would need to create accounts. Anyway what i did find out (can reconfirm) is that there is a high pressure gas main that runs in the area of South park 2 / dairy ground, up through river mead and then out of the site somewhere around the cycle park / PGA. As mentioned before this would prevent anything other than very minor temp structures being installed above it etc. From what i can tell the route runs towards the coast (a port) and this made me think about a pipeline agency talk that i had to go too many years ago. They have pipelines all over the place and they carry all sorts of weird stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if they had something close too. Anyway GFL very rarely seem to need or want to construct anything major or permanent on the site so its hard to see anything to do with this aspect that may force a move away from site. A poor condition pipeline agency asset would be a different matter (aka TITP), if there was something like that on the site then the HSE may get very interested. Once went to a job where a gas fitter had drilled into one of their pipelines by mistake and we had to turn the electricity off to the whole area and they evacuated 200 houses - there was something like rocket fuel in the pipe that he had drilled into and it was only the fact that his drill bit broke that saved him and the estate

There's a little piece in The Sunday Times about this :

CONCERNS over the safety of a gas pipe running through the Glastonbury festival site may force the music event to move to a new venue, its founder, Michael Eavis, has revealed.

Although Eavis did not believe a move from Worthy Farm, Somerset, was imminent, he said he had earmarked a back-up location “about 20 miles up the road” and it was “pretty sorted”.

Speaking in Dublin last week, Eavis said: “We’ve got a gas main running through the site. They [Mendip district council] said this is dangerous and I said ‘well it’s been there for years and so have we’. Every year they make a fuss about this pipe.

“We’re supposed to stop people dancing on it, which is a pretty impossible thing to do.They say that if they are all dancing on the pipe at the same time they could fracture it.” Eavis said that the decision was made last year “to turn the pressure down on the pipe” during the festival.

Eavis said he had met police to discuss concerns over terrorism following the Paris attacks. The festival attracts around 185,000 people every June.

12 hours ago, Keithy said:

There's a little piece in The Sunday Times about this :

well theres been thousands of us walking dancing ect all over the site for years i dont see why it would suddenly become a problem unless the cc really want to kill of the festi ....

Reasons behind the proposed move starting to become clearer now with the latest article, assuming they are valid reasons and not just more smoke and mirrors to put the wind up the local landowners. H&S legislation tends to evolve towards becoming more severe over time which may be why MDC are now making it harder for site license compliance, however given the suggested line of the pipe (on here), how would that be difficult to 'stop people dancing' on it, and how does this differ in risk from heavier cows, farm vehicles, machinery etc. What stage areas does it run through? Surely a compromise could be reached here anyway - if it were that shallow and sensitive to weight (I accept tent pegs could be a danger), then what's it doing running through such an area anyway - makes it sound very volatile!

As for the 'site 20 miles away', I can't see anything in that radius on a map that's looks especially suitable or big enough or not likely to upset some other nearby town and village....

30 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

H&S legislation tends to evolve towards becoming more severe over time

Have you ever known something to say "I've sorted out all the issues, so now I need to be abolished"? :P

To show how ridiculous the gas pipeline thing was for T in the park, the same piipeline which makes T supposedly too dangerous to hold at Balado goes under a primary school.

It's not about risk or safety, but about H&S peeps looking to Do Something about the next 'risk' on their list of risks. If they don't Do Something they have become pointless in identifying new risks and only now need to manage the previously-identified risks (which doesn't take much work as it's just checking standards are being kept up).

It was completely bollocks when said about Balado and it's complete bollocks about Worthy Farm too ...  if there's even a pipeline nearby at all (which some people are doubting for good reasons).

so if they were looking a new location where could they go - has to be over 1,000 acres - I'm thinking country house like Longleat, or Dunster, but a bit of googling reveals there's also Maunsel House and Tyntesfield- and there's bit farms too like Warren Farm - in fact there's lots of places around 20 miles of Glastonbury - anyone got any more possibilities?

12 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Smoke and mirrors then?

It's not impossible. It's the first I've heard of any pipeline, and I sat in on quite a few licence hearings.

While it wouldn't necessarily come up within those as they didn't deal with technical issues unless there was an argument over whether something could or couldn't be done, I find it hard to believe that the antis wouldn't have used it as part of their ammo against the festival happening (and they were happy to use any ammo they could think of, I know for sure).

I'd say, sometimes at least, Michael grasps at the first thing he thinks of as a way of giving a satisfactory answer to the person asking - without it necessarily being true. They're perhaps little white lies meant as only cover for that moment, without it occurring to him that they'll get reported far and wide. This is perhaps one of those things.

Edited by eFestivals