Stage Predictions 2016

Gucci Piggy

6 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

An educated guess

FRI
PY: Muse, Kendrick Lamar, LCD Soundsystem, ZZ Top, John Grant, Craig David, Gary Clark Jr., Syrian National Orchestra
OT: Disclosure, Bastille, Chvrches, Years & Years, Slaves, Blossoms, Eagles of Death Metal, Feeder, Special Guests (Primal Scream)
JP: Iggy Pop, Deftones, At The Drive-In, The Kills, Stormzy, Skepta, Boy Better Know, Pretty Vicious, Lany
PA: M83, Floating Points, Sun Kill Moon, Benjamin Clementine, Jason Isbell, Sunset Sons, Titus Andronicus, Chelsea Wolfe
WH: Underworld, Blood Orange, Oneohtrix Point Never, Vince Staples, Misty in Roots, Mura Masa

SAT
PY: Adele, Foals, The National, Sia, Jack Garratt, Laura Marling, The Strypes, Vintage Trouble
OT: New Order, Tame Impala, James Bay, Jamie XX, Band of Horses, Daughter, Sleaford Mods, The Wombats
JP: Catfish & The Bottlemen, Editors, Yeasayer, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Lapsley, Beach Slang, Oh Wonder, Yak, Saint Sister
PA: Explosions in the Sky, Savages, Badbadnotgood, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Little Simz, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Declan McKenna, Holly MacVe
WH: Grimes, Robyn, Jagwar Ma, Mbongwana Star, Parov Stelar, Pat Thomas & Kwashibu Area Band

SUN
PY: Coldplay, Ellie Goulding, The 1975, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Bloc Party, John Newman, Hinds, The King Blues
OT: Bring Me the Horizon, The Last Shadow Puppets, PJ Harvey, Wolf Alice, Jess Glynne, Beirut, Father John Misty, Mystery Jets
JP: Haim, The Coral, Mac DeMarco, Swim Deep, Glass Animals, Kelela, Jamie Lawson, Turin Brakes, All Tvvins
PA: Guy Garvey, Beach House, Melody's Echo Chamber, Rival Sons, Natalie Prass, Ryley Walker, Seinabo Sey, Dean Blunt
WH: Earth, Wind & Fire, Junior Boys, Action Bronson, Hiatus Kaiyote, Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires, Gogo Penguin

I spent lots of time on this

I know I've said it before, but I'd be slightly irked if Guy Garvey was given a Park headline slot. Now, I like GG a lot - pretty great bloke as far as his public persona suggests; delivered possibly the finest vocal performance of any gig I've ever attended (Leaders of the Free World Tour); frontman of a band who, though they interest me now not a jot, gave me great pleasure over the first 3.5 albums.

But, one moderately reviewed, but ultimately quite dull solo record surely does not a Park headline slot secure? Again, as I said before, if Gaz Coombes, touring a highly acclaimed and successful second record gets 3rd/4th down on Park, how could GG get the top spot, even if Elbow are much beloved of the Eavii?

Otherwise, if I get half of the line-up above I'd be stoked, but don't clash Grimes and EITS, and give GoGo Penguin a higher slot as they're frickin' amazing!

Foals into Adele sounds like every shade of incongruous to me...!

:)

Ben

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Out of interest who or what kind of act are you expecting before Adele?

The same as I've set from the start, Ellie G or something similar. Something with some slower music and less up beat. Can you really see Can't Hold Us being in a pre Adele set?, Macklemore was a sub to Blink at Reading. If they were sub sized and possible for the slot, I'd say Tame Impala could do it as well.

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The same as I've set from the start, Ellie G or something similar. Something with some slower music and less up beat. Can you really see Can't Hold Us being in a pre Adele set?, Macklemore was a sub to Blink at Reading. If they were sub sized and possible for the slot, I'd say Tame Impala could do it as well.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are a lot more down the line of Adele than Tame Impala are 

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think Foals would work fine. The acts don't have to be that similar to the headliner (see Nick Cave/Mumford & Sons and Dizzee Rascal/Arctic Monkeys in 2013) and Foals are atmospheric enough, and they tend to a pretty mainstream pop crowd nowadays

Just now, Acid_Haze said:

I think Foals would work fine. The acts don't have to be that similar to the headliner (see Nick Cave/Mumford & Sons and Dizzee Rascal/Arctic Monkeys in 2013) and Foals are atmospheric enough, and they tend to a pretty mainstream pop crowd nowadays

Surely Foals make more sense before Muse? Not that I don't like the idea of them before Adele - that'd be ace - but as Muse's sub just seems so obvious

40 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are a lot more down the line of Adele than Tame Impala are 

No chance man....Tame Impala have guitars but a lot of it is slower/tamer rock, being in the moment if you like that sort of thing.

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i think they'll just have to stick whoever they can get on before Adele as there isn't really an appropriate type of act to lead in to her, although I feel something like The Weeknd would be best suited for the job if he's considered big enough

The Weeknd is possibly a good shout, that one didn't occur to me.

29 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I don't think that theory works for Adele, she's not at all the type of act you think of for a fest.....and if she's agreed to do it the crowd that she'll be playing to is likely to be a major portion of who the sub was. Mumford & Sons go for it on banjo's lol so it's not exactly something the crowd can't jump around too and like with with both Dizzee and Arctics.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i think they'll just have to stick whoever they can get on before Adele as there isn't really an appropriate type of act to lead in to her, although I feel something like The Weeknd would be best suited for the job if he's considered big enough

I'm baffled as to why people think a sub on the Pyramid has to be in any way linked to the headline act. The Specials subbed Neil Young, Scissor Sisters subbed Muse, Faithless subbed Stevie Wonder, Nick Cave subbed Mumford's, Dizzee subbed Arctic's etc.etc.

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I'm baffled as to why people think a sub on the Pyramid has to be in any way linked to the headline act. The Specials subbed Neil Young, Scissor Sisters subbed Muse, Faithless subbed Stevie Wonder, Nick Cave subbed Mumford's, Dizzee subbed Arctic's etc.etc.

Exactly this!

Its bollocks to think the act prior has to have some sort of link

30 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

26 minutes ago, sisco said:

Exactly this!

Its bollocks to think the act prior has to have some sort of link

Occasionally there is a link. In 2004, apparently Paul McCartney asked for the Black Eyed Peas to sub him. In 2013 Dizzee Rascal was on before the Arctic Monkeys - last time they played he joined them on stage.  Not to mention Primal Scream played before the Stones.

But in the main, there's not really much of a connection. You certainly can't rule out a sub based on the headliner, but from time to time you can use a link to make a band more likely to sub.

I think the sub is one of those things were ideally you want an act that will be at least in the same ballpark as the headline act, but there's no real reason whatsoever as to why they can't be completely different. The festival aren't going to turn down a sub-sized act on the basis that they're not able to slot them under a similar headliner. 

Look at all the 'co-headliners' being announced, Stereophonics/Faithless, Foals/Disclosure, Pixies/Chems. Shows that there is no need for your top 2 on the bill to be similar.

I don't really think with the variety Glastonbury offers you will get people feeling like they have to watch the sub, so the festival doesn't have to pander as much as to who's playing. Of course you get the types who will be at the Pyramid regardless, but then that's their perogative. 

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Occasionally there is a link. In 2004, apparently Paul McCartney asked for the Black Eyed Peas to sub him. In 2013 Dizzee Rascal was on before the Arctic Monkeys - last time they played he joined them on stage.  Not to mention Primal Scream played before the Stones.

But in the main, there's not really much of a connection. You certainly can't rule out a sub based on the headliner, but from time to time you can use a link to make a band more likely to sub.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming there's never a link. Sometimes the sub could be an act that would work as the headliners support act on tour. It's just evey time I see someone saying e.g. Foals or Mackelmore won't play before Adele because they're too different I wonder if that person has ever seen a Glastonbury line-up before ;-)

27 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming there's never a link. Sometimes the sub could be an act that would work as the headliners support act on tour. It's just evey time I see someone saying e.g. Foals or Mackelmore won't play before Adele because they're too different I wonder if that person has ever seen a Glastonbury line-up before ;-)

Sounds like we agree :)

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

This a load of bollocks really.....everyone is aware that the booking of Adele is much different hence people saying for a while who would they get to sub her rather than with Muse or Coldplay people aren't giving 'how it fits' a thought even.

31 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

This a load of bollocks really.....everyone is aware that the booking of Adele is much different hence people saying for a while who would they get to sub her rather than with Muse or Coldplay people aren't giving 'how it fits' a thought even.

Why is it different?? The people that want to see Adele will be there to see her!! The people that want to see the sub will see them! The ones which want to see both will do that too! 

Maybe I'm just stupid but for the life of me I cannot see why it matters!

It's always wise to have a sub and headliner that share a vague crossover in fanbase, orherwise you'll have one half of the crowd shifting elsewhere after the sub and the other half only watching the sub to get a good spot for the headliner, but it doesn't matter too much. Just don't stick Dying Fetus or something of that ilk on before Adele - any kind of radio friendly act on will do fine. So basically any act who's deemed sub worthy will do

Edited by FloorFiller

8 minutes ago, sisco said:

Was the quote in 2 weeks or within 2 weeks? 

Presumed it would be around the Brit Awards which is on Weds

Oh aye, you're right. It's within two weeks.

I'd forgotten about the BRITS but I don't really think it'll be done right off the back of it, personally. They could, but Glasto have never really been ones to do that have they? Kanye was a few weeks after last one and could've been straight off the bat. I think it'll be right at the start of next month.

Edited by dentalplan

On 20/02/2016 at 11:41 PM, thewayiam said:

How is it bollocks? The evidence is there that there may or may not be a link. No matter how 'different' (from what?) 'everyone' (who exactly?) apparently thinks booking Adele would be.

In reality the subs are probably going to be placed under the headliner they fit under the most of the three (unless other commitments prevent this). It's definitely been the case for the previous two festivals. Foals would probably be the most rocky sub and would therefore sub Muse. Adele will probably have any poppy act below her (Macklemore/The Weeknd/Ellie Goulding) and Coldplay would have similar. For some reason though I see Ellie Goulding under Coldplay, although that may just be as she's been listed for Sunday on here for ages.

But then it depends on what three acts they actually have booked. If it's Foals, Ellie Goulding and Tame Impala for instance you'd end up with Tame Impala/Foals below one of Adele/Coldplay which would be a weird transition and add weight to the arguments about them purposely putting on different subs to ensure crowd churn, when in reality it probably wasn't done on purpose.

I doubt they actively looking for subs based on who the headliners are. I think it's more likely they just go for the three acts best placed to play as subs that year and then put them below the most suitable of the three headliners.

Sometimes this gives you three very suitable subs (see 2014 and 2015), sometimes this gives you subs which don't fit too well (see Nick Cave playing below Mumford).

Also I'm glad to see Gazza's musical knowledge has now shrunk so far that his only comparison as to whether two acts are similar is whether they can be jumped around to or not. I guess Macklemore would fit below Metallica more than Adele then.