West Holts 2016 - would love to see list

Rumblestripe

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, EWF aside, West Holts line up missing is missing any seasoned / vintage performers - no one of a Roy Ayers / Wailers / Sergio Mendes / Toots / Mulatu ilk out for a late-period hurrah.

And no D'Angelo, natch - and the Paradise Bangkok clashing with the SNO is gonna force my hand to get a ticket to see them in Edinburgh.

Still very strong, mind

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only going by the rumours page on here.

It's all instrumental.  Like a constantly upbeat Beirut.

opening WH on the Sunday then. must say i'll probably struggle to be up and active at that time but i'll give it a shot. liking the sound of these

looks like i'll be seeing Vince Staples, Anna Meredith, Oddisee and Kamasi Washington (and Human Pyramids if i'm awake) at the Holts this year which i'm happy about. disappointed about not seeing a headliner there but can't win em all i guess

On 10/6/2015 at 1:51 PM, tjamest said:

Bunny Wailer

Burning Spear

Misty in Roots

Mbongwana Star

Amadou and Mariam

47 Soul

Charles Bradley

Dakhabrakha

Natalie Prass

+1 for Omar Souleyman

2 out of 9 out of my list. Bit disappointed with a lack of Reggae but am keen to see the weirdnesss which is Dakhambrakha. (Not sure if i will enjoy it, but am definitely interested in checking them out)

Right, in light of the BASTARD CLASHTM, I have a free Saturday night, which I thought was going to be occupied by Art (a pox on the Acoustic bookers, putting him in that awkward slot). Reckon it's a good opportunity to enjoy a headliner on my old pal West Holts. Never been a massive James Blake fan, but if Queen Bey sees fit to feature him on her album, I'll lend him my ears and eyes for an hour. Fucking off early for the Heroes Symphony though.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Right, in light of the BASTARD CLASHTM, I have a free Saturday night, which I thought was going to be occupied by Art (a pox on the Acoustic bookers, putting him in that awkward slot). Reckon it's a good opportunity to enjoy a headliner on my old pal West Holts. Never been a massive James Blake fan, but if Queen Bey sees fit to feature him on her album, I'll lend him my ears and eyes for an hour. Fucking off early for the Heroes Symphony though.

Saturday evening is a nightmare for me, I just don't know who I'll end up seeing. Who is Art clashing with for you?

14 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

So the one to gawp at is Shibusashirazu Orchestra. Very glad they're getting a bigger stage show as well as Hell (although that midnight show promises to be something special).

I think I'm going to head to Shangri-La after Mercury Rev to catch these as my Saturday headliner. Did want to see what Adele would be like but these are much less of a gamble. Plus means I'll be able to see both these and Ernest Ranglin.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If you don't like him in record you won't get much out of him live. Much of the same. 

19 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Saturday evening is a nightmare for me, I just don't know who I'll end up seeing. Who is Art clashing with for you?

Floating Points being the real kicker, never been this wounded by a festival clash before. But even if he wasn't clashing with FloPo, his clash with Santigold and Beak> would be the worst on the line-up for me. 4 pretty heavy hitters cut down into 1 choice for me there.

12 hours ago, Tuna said:

If you don't like him in record you won't get much out of him live. Much of the same. 

Don't dislike him really, but I never really find the time to sit and listen to one of his albums when there's other stuff in that vein I'd much rather listen to. I think with all of his albums I've enjoyed a first listen and very rarely gone back. Reckon I can enjoy him live if the atmosphere is right. Normally I'd go for Matey Three, but I'm seeing them at Latitude, and JPT is too far away from The Park.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Floating Points being the real kicker, never been this wounded by a festival clash before. But even if he wasn't clashing with FloPo, his clash with Santigold and Beak> would be the worst on the line-up for me. 4 pretty heavy hitters cut down into 1 choice for me there.

Don't dislike him really, but I never really find the time to sit and listen to one of his albums when there's other stuff in that vein I'd much rather listen to. I think with all of his albums I've enjoyed a first listen and very rarely gone back. Reckon I can enjoy him live if the atmosphere is right. Normally I'd go for Matey Three, but I'm seeing them at Latitude, and JPT is too far away from The Park.

See I'm thinking that I'll definitely end up seeing Floating Points again in the next few years so I should go for Art. I'm also currently thinking of missing M83 in favour of Lee Scratch Perry for similar reasons, along with JP being a pain and the lack of Morgan Kibby in their current lineup.

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

See I'm thinking that I'll definitely end up seeing Floating Points again in the next few years so I should go for Art. I'm also currently thinking of missing M83 in favour of Lee Scratch Perry for similar reasons, along with JP being a pain and the lack of Morgan Kibby in their current lineup.

Yeah, Art is more of a rarity, plus he's maybe the only set my entire group will be at together, it has to be him. But it's stabbing me right in my very soul! I passed up on Green Man because there were so many rarities, but now I know I can't see Floating Points at Glastonbury, along with the only UK Warpaint show of the year and Songhoy Blues not having popped up anywhere else I'm going to, it's starting to look like a pretty spicy meatball. But I'm all booked up for the summer now so can't get the time off work for it.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah, Art is more of a rarity, plus he's maybe the only set my entire group will be at together, it has to be him. But it's stabbing me right in my very soul! I passed up on Green Man because there were so many rarities, but now I know I can't see Floating Points at Glastonbury, along with the only UK Warpaint show of the year and Songhoy Blues not having popped up anywhere else I'm going to, it's starting to look like a pretty spicy meatball. But I'm all booked up for the summer now so can't get the time off work for it.

You looked up that Blue Dot festival at Jodrell Bank? He's putting a shift in there.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You looked up that Blue Dot festival at Jodrell Bank? He's putting a shift in there.

Ooooh. Thanks Dental, didn't know he was playing, a think a few mates are going that day as well. Most of the line-up hasn't got me all that excited, but Floating Points, Post War Glamour Girls and Lanterns On The Lake is a good time.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ooooh. Thanks Dental, didn't know he was playing, a think a few mates are going that day as well. Most of the line-up hasn't got me all that excited, but Floating Points, Post War Glamour Girls and Lanterns On The Lake is a good time.

Ugh, the real life DJ Shadow is there and you're on about Lanterns on the bloody Lake? Air, LA Priest, Moon Duo... you need to get on a Let's Eat Grandma hype too, 

11 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Quantic single with U Roy discussed a page or so back is available here today as a free download:

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/todays-top-tune/quantic-a-life-worth-living-feat-u-roy-and-alice-russell

oooooh ..... I saw a promo yesterday that had U-Roy in the UK in very early July - the 5th, I think it was.

So I reckon he might pop up for this. Excellent. :D

(tho I'd much prefer U-Roy by himself, which I've seen before).

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The 'Quantic All Stars' handle certainly lends itself to it happening. I'd be surprised if Alice Russell isn't there too.

Quantic without Alice would be a rare thing, wouldn't it? :blink:

I have a bit of a downer on Alice, tho it's not really her fault ... the promoter of a show she was doing ripped off an efests pic to use for publicity for a show of hers, and when I spoke to the w*nker he said "I'll use anything I want. It's a picture of Alice so I can use it for Alice" ... so I said that my name was 'the' and because Alice uses my name in her songs I have free rights to her songs. ... he wasn't impressed, I'm not sure I've ever made someone's head explode quite as well as I did there. :lol:

At @Mackem's request I've extracted the West Holts lineup from the main Spotify playlist into a playlist all of its own, here. All the acts, and the 5 songs they play most live (as far as I'm able to tell), in running order, from the (superb) Paradise Bangkok Molam International Band through to Earth, Wind & Fire.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin