West Holts 2016 - would love to see list

Rumblestripe

Not a surprise but fuck, this makes the need for LCD to be Sunday even greater. As it stands it's a tough choice between Sigur Ros and Underworld (Sigur Ros will probably win), but if I end up losing both because LCD are on Friday too it'll be a nightmare. 

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can we now assume that - given that he's not been announced for anywhere else - Auntie Flo is on @ Holts.

(Folk also may have missed that Michael Kiwanaku's confirmed for here.)

He's only DJing, I'd be surprised not to see him in The Beat Hotel now 

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

If this is true then there is not a single headliner that I'm currently excited about on the Friday night.

Balls.

Hope The Park comes through for me.

I hate it when there's one night with no headliner that particularly excites you, then there are 3 or 4 that clash the following day! I think it's happened twice to me.

I suppose if Underworld are headlining WestHolts on Friday, and Blake is Saturday and EWF Sunday, then that means no D'Angelo- looks like he did drop out. A shame- I was hoping he'd headline WH on the Friday

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I suppose if Underworld are headlining WestHolts on Friday, and Blake is Saturday and EWF Sunday, then that means no D'Angelo- looks like he did drop out. A shame- I was hoping he'd headline WH on the Friday

Seems that way don't it.  Hopefully they'll be making up for the lack of D'Angelo with a stellar booking of Anderson Paak.

Does anyone else think that Underworld aren't very West Holtsy? Or is that just me?

8 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Seems that way don't it.  Hopefully they'll be making up for the lack of D'Angelo with a stellar booking of Anderson Paak.

Does anyone else think that Underworld aren't very West Holtsy? Or is that just me?

The last few years they've starting putting on dance acts, and also electronica-type stuff (Steve Blake)- I wish they didn't as that kind of stuff can be found on the Other stage, Silver Hayes, Pyramid etc. It's lost a bit of it's distinctiveness, but then again some of the crowds for some of the headliners were disturbingly minuscule before the change, so I understand why they did it.

As long as it's part of a varied mixture of stuff it works for me. I don't see Underworld's digital minimalism / maximilism as being that divorced from anything else you'd see on there. The way the vocals are used as a percussive element, building to tribal chanting, dissolving into cut and paste beat poetry bits and bobs.

It's of a keeping.

And, as you say, there seldom seems to be the audience for non Western music to top the bill.

I reckon D'Angelo was Friday WH, dropped out and Underworld moved from JP to WH with Sigur Rós then being booked to replace Underworld as they were around at the time.

Would explain the original info of only 2 Sigur Rós shows being incorrect, and explain them being on a stage most wouldn't have expected.

18 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I reckon D'Angelo was Friday WH, dropped out and Underworld moved from JP to WH with Sigur Rós then being booked to replace Underworld as they were around at the time.

Would explain the original info of only 2 Sigur Rós shows being incorrect, and explain them being on a stage most wouldn't have expected.

Interesting, although there was at one point a poster which had all 3 of them on

19 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

They've got different bookers and stuff though so it's not as easy as moving them about a big list of acts.

People only had them down for John Peel because someone suggested they need to play a tent - not sure whether out of preference or a necessity - and people ran with it. They're definitely not outside of the normal type of West Holts acts and I think that them headlining confirms that.

11 minutes ago, your mother said:

Interesting, although there was at one point a poster which had all 3 of them on

Ah yeah good point.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They've got different bookers and stuff though so it's not as easy as moving them about a big list of acts.

People only had them down for John Peel because someone suggested they need to play a tent - not sure whether out of preference or a necessity - and people ran with it. They're definitely not outside of the normal type of West Holts acts and I think that them headlining confirms that.

I meant Sigur Rós being on a stage most wouldn't expect. If they were booked normally I'd have expected Other Stage. But as the other post I quoted says, they were all on the poster together so my theory isn't correct.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Been taking this Human Pyramids lot out for an aural test drive and it's decent stuff - but very, very, very Illinoise-era Sufjan.

I was listening to Illinois this very morning! Big big Sufjan fan over here, so a similar act catches my interest.

Sadly no WH headliners for me this year. Hopefully next year.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Do we know definitively who are 8 WH bands are yet?

With Gregory Porter seemingly confirmed for the pyramid, and Neil's information about Underworld, it's got to be 

Underworld, James Blake, Earth Wind and Fire, Floating Points, Kamasi Washington, Rokia Traore, Baaba Maal and Ernest Ranglin 

Unless there's a spanner in the works, which may see Floating Points being elsewhere

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

With Gregory Porter seemingly confirmed for the pyramid, and Neil's information about Underworld, it's got to be 

Underworld, James Blake, Earth Wind and Fire, Floating Points, Kamasi Washington, Rokia Traore, Baaba Maal and Ernest Ranglin 

Unless there's a spanner in the works, which may see Floating Points being elsewhere

Lovely, will be watching at least Floating Points, Kamasi Washington and Rokia Traore then, and it looks like we've also got Anna Meredith and Mbongwana Star there also.