2017 festival

kaosmark2

Just now, KingPin said:

Linkin Park in with a shout? Massively overdue, new album out next year and haven't done much in the UK for a while.

their popularity in the UK (and elsewhere) is waning with each album. if they haven't been booked to return to R/Ls in the 13 years since they last headlined i don't see it happening now - think they're more likely to just return to Download every few years. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

their popularity in the UK (and elsewhere) is waning with each album. if they haven't been booked to return to R/Ls in the 13 years since they last headlined i don't see it happening now - think they're more likely to just return to Download every few years. 

True, but they are a Nostalgia band, and you would have thought they would have played in 2015 when they were around, but a bill of:

YM@6/BMTH
ADTR

Foo's
Royal Blood

Linkin Park
Kendrick? (trying to think of a rap artist big enough to sub here)

Would sell like hot cakes IMO.

Hell, even The Prodigy subbing Linkin Park would work.

Edited by KingPin

Just now, KingPin said:

True, but they are a Nostalgia band, and you would have thought they would have played in 2015 when they were around, but a bill of:

YM@6/BMTH
ADTR

Foo's
Royal Blood

Linkin Park

it'd sell well, but not for Linkin Park that's for sure. i don't think Linkin Park would go down terribly, but in 2017 it'd be a bit of an odd booking when there are tons of other more currently popular acts who could headline

also Kendrick will be headlining when he next plays imo - probably more likely to be 2018/19 than next year though

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

blink-182, BMTH & YMAS, and Kasabian does very little for me but would probably sell okay. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Paramore at V Festival next year, along with an out-and-out Pop headliner (although Paramore ain't too far from that these days anyway), Rihanna maybe? 

R&L: blink-182, BMTH & YMAS, Kasabian
V: Paramore, Rihanna
Glastonbury: Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, The Stone Roses
Download: Green Day, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold

???: Gorillaz, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Killers, Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, Royal Blood, Pendulum, Prophets of Rage, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon

I'd pretty much take any three of those ^^^ over those R&L headliners. 

Rihanna headlined V this year

18 minutes ago, KingPin said:

YM@6/BMTH
ADTR

Foo's
Royal Blood

Linkin Park

Hell, even The Prodigy subbing Linkin Park would work.

Don't be so sure that would sell that well. That looks more like a Download lineup to a Reading lineup.

Just now, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Don't be so sure that would sell that well. That looks more like a Download lineup to a Reading lineup.

Nah, not enough Slayer.....

it really doesn't, all of those bands, bar Linkin Park have played RnL as much/much more than Download.

Well yeah all of those headline bands could play Reading next year, but they're not all playing in the same year. Could get away with that lineup if you replace Linkin Park with an indie/dance/rap etc. But they're not having Foos, Linkin Park and BMTH/YMA6 all headline in the same year ffs. It's not a rock festival. 

18 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Well yeah all of those headline bands could play Reading next year, but they're not all playing in the same year. Could get away with that lineup if you replace Linkin Park with an indie/dance/rap etc. But they're not having Foos, Linkin Park and BMTH/YMA6 all headline in the same year ffs. It's not a rock festival. 

Erm...Yes it is....

11 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Twenty One Pilots added a second Ally Pally date after the first one sold out in seconds and that has now sold out too. Selling 20,000 tickets in a matter of minutes is impressive. 

Disagree with me if you want, but they are gonna be headlining sooner than we probably think. (might not be reading) but all I see when I see them is the next generation of big bands / reading headliners.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Disagree with me if you want, but they are gonna be headlining sooner than we probably think. (might not be reading) but all I see when I see them is the next generation of big bands / reading headliners.

i think they'll be given a decent - third down Main - slot at the festival next year (if they've got a new album out/on it's way by then), but whether they can keep it up after that i have no idea, and i kind of feel that they may end up being a flash in the pan. obviously love to be proven wrong though as despite not being a fan, the festival needs some new headliners stepping up, and i can think of much worse acts to do it

Edited by FloorFiller

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't understand why they appeal to the Kerrang audience. It used to be that the requirements were tatted up pasty white guys and guitars - so are the guitars inessential now?

Because their fans listen to them to show how they like a """wide variety""" of music, which is why a lot of them are in to Eminem and other pasty white guys without guitars. 

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't understand why they appeal to the Kerrang audience. It used to be that the requirements were tatted up pasty white guys and guitars - so are the guitars inessential now?

Not convinced they even do that much. Kerrang have just jumped on the hype train of bands like twenty one pilots and 5 Seconds of Summer, by littering their magazines with posters and articles of these bands every week they ensure extra sales from their rampant fanbases. If Kerrang stopped printing articles and posters that featured 5 Seconds of Summer and twenty one pilots, then 5 Seconds of Summer and twenty one pilots fans would stop buying their magazine. If they stopped talking about them on social media then they'd unfollow them.

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i think they'll be given a decent - third down Main - slot at the festival next year (if they've got a new album out/on it's way by then), but whether they can keep it up after that i have no idea, and i kind of feel that they may end up being a flash in the pan. obviously love to be proven wrong though as despite not being a fan, the festival needs some new headliners stepping up, and i can think of much worse acts to do it

Not a fan at all but very few flash in the pan acts have sold out Ally Pally twice over in one morning. They're going nowhere anytime soon unfortunately. 

Probably not one of their top targets, but certainly can't count them out completely. Would expect them to have a pretty decent sized sub underneath them though. Reckon they could get away with having Avenged sub them at Reading, but I expect Avenged to be at Download so probably unlikely. System of a Down maybe if they're not at Download themselves, although I imagine if they were touring then Copping would take them. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That's been my biggest gripe with Twenty One Pilots. I've always understood why people like them, it isn't as if they some complete garbage where I'm like, "How is this so popular!?". But I've never allowed myself to come to like them (until fairly recently where I actually like a couple of songs when I heard them) because I can not see why the rock press is strapping a rocket to them when they have absolutely nothing to do with that world at all. How is the state of rock supposed to improve in the mainstream when it's media are championing bands that haven't even got anything to do with it? Another band in that bracket are PVRIS. Do I like PVRIS? Yeah. But are they a rock band? No, they're not. It's just diluting things to the point where it is unrecognisable. In the long run it is only going to damage the rock world. Thankfully I can't see either being a long term fixture.

Edited by Andre91

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That's been my biggest gripe with Twenty One Pilots. I've always understood why people like them, it isn't as if they some complete garbage where I'm like, "How is this so popular!?". But I've never allowed myself to come to like them (until fairly recently where I actually like a couple of songs when I heard them) because I can not see why the rock press is strapping a rocket to them when they have absolutely nothing to do with that world at all. How is the state of rock supposed to improve in the mainstream when it's media are championing bands that haven't even got anything to do with it? Another band in that bracket are PVRIS. Do I like PVRIS? Yeah. But are they a rock band? No, they're not. It's just diluting things to the point where it is unrecognisable. In the long run it is only going to damage the rock world. Thankfully I can't see either being a long term fixture.

There's a lot more rock 'n' roll in them than lifeless acts like Catfish and Blossoms, that's for sure.