2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't really a question I want to be asking but I can't help but wonder. Does anyone think that Leeds could be binned off within the next few years? It hasn't sold out at all in recent years (as far as I can remember the last time was in 2012 I think) and with FR running Download and trying to take over Creamfields it just seems to me like there's no future for Leeds festival as the northern punters have the choice of the other two FR festivals, DL and CF (depending on which genre they're into) and they may just make it a single site festival (I.e Reading). 

16 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

This isn't really a question I want to be asking but I can't help but wonder. Does anyone think that Leeds could be binned off within the next few years? It hasn't sold out at all in recent years (as far as I can remember the last time was in 2012 I think) and with FR running Download and trying to take over Creamfields it just seems to me like there's no future for Leeds festival as the northern punters have the choice of the other two FR festivals, DL and CF (depending on which genre they're into) and they may just make it a single site festival (I.e Reading). 

If Leeds is still making them money then they'll keep putting Leeds on. Your point about northern punters having a choice between Creamfields and Download depending on which genre they're into is pretty weird too, R/L covers a vast amount of genres in-between those two festivals, that's how it runs? The vast majority of the lineup this year would have no place at Download or Creamfields.

Also a lot of people from the south also go to Download and Creamfields too.

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

I can't see why they would bin Leeds, considering that it seems to generate the best atmosphere and crowds, despite them making more money out of Reading

9 minutes ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

I can't see why they would bin Leeds, considering that it seems to generate the best atmosphere and crowds, despite them making more money out of Reading

At the end of the day it's a business, if they make money that's the most important thing. Obviously I don't know how many tickets are sold for Leeds but I do know it doesn't sell out. Reading obviously make a lot more money because 1) it does sell out and 2) they're the ones which the BBC are interested in and I know there's a lot of money in the TV rights. 

If they were going to I think they'd have done it this year as last year was the only time I can recall them downsizing the campsite, and then this year was apparently (according to Melv) the best selling one since it last sold out in 2010 or something so that should at least be a stay of execution. Might happen one day but owt could happen with festival-going trends in the next few years.

Leeds is going nowhere and sold really well this year, the best attendance in many years. 

Sunday was actually overcrowded, queues at every bar with RHCP getting biggest crowd for many years. 

My daughter worked on a food stand and they had to shut the stand for 30 mins in middle of day due to unprecedented numbers. 

Must have been 80k in attendance. 

24 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Blossoms wouldn't play 5th top, You think they are as big as Slaves, FFDP and Die Antwoord? 7th would be about right

Two weeks at number one with a catchy singles that get played everywhere. Maybe not 5th, but definitely 6th. From what I saw, the crowd in the NME was as pretty much as big as it was for Slaves last year

15 minutes ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

Two weeks at number one with a catchy singles that get played everywhere. Maybe not 5th, but definitely 6th. From what I saw, the crowd in the NME was as pretty much as big as it was for Slaves last year

6th would be possible provided the singles that are released from the album carry on the success. Slaves have a new album coming out which would make it more reasonable to bump them up higher than Blossoms will be as next year Blossoms won't have another album. I'd expect to see Blossoms on the NME next year again higher up then return the following year with new material out/ready to come out for 5th on the Main Stage

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

Kasabian
Tame Impala
Catfish & The Bottlemen

Enter Shikari

BMTH/Royal Blood
Jamie T
Twin Atlantic

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Blink-182
You Me At Six
A Day To Remember

Chase And Status

Nah can't see that. The Sunday main is basically a replica of the Sunday in 2014 with the omission of Macklemore who subbed. I also can't see him going from subbing the main to the NME tent in 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

Granted they had a big crowd, but I got the feeling many of them turned up based on them being the hype band of the moment. Very few knew their songs so not convinced many would actually return in 12 months.

Hard to predict at this point, but here's my guess...

Friday:
Royal blood / You me at six / Wolf alice / Brand new / Architects / Rat boy / Vant / Beartooth / Black peaks
NME: The chainsmokers / Chance the rapper
Dance: Shy fx / Lock up: Neck deep / FR: Miles kane / 1xtra: Ty dolla sign

Saturday:
Kasabian / Catfish and the bottlemen / Stormzy / Haim / Blossoms / Moose blood / Against the current / Creeper / Being as an ocean
NME: A day to remember / Don broco
Dance: Craig david's ts5 / Pit: At the drive in / FR: Peace / 1xtra: Section boyz

Sunday:
Green day / Prophets of rage / Run the jewels / Twin atlantic / Sum 41 / Pvris / While she sleeps / Arcane roots / The menzingers
NME: Jamie t / Circa waves
Dance: Zhu / Pit: Killswitch engage / FR: White lies / 1xtra: Mixpak

21 hours ago, KingPin said:

Yeah, and the festival would sell worse than 2015...

If indy shite actually pulled people in more indy shite would get booked, unfortunately indy shite doesn't pull people in anymore, and thus doesn't get booked....

It's really more an industry wide problem for the rock side of music, with the explosion of bands in the mid 2000's now pretty much having run its course, with nothing post 2010 forcing the issue and getting to headline size like multiple bands who started out in the 2000's did, and the latest metal fad (Metalcore) only producing A7X as an even remotely close to headline sized band in the now 15 years the Genre has been large, with BMTH now arguably getting close.

It would sell more than You Me at Six or Paramore headlining, that's for sure. If Muse aren't touring, then G'NR will probably be booked.

The problem for the industry is every new band think Oasis and The Strokes are the pinnacle of music and aren't offering up anything new or different to their peers. Where is today's answer to Joy Division, New Order, The Clash etc.? It's why there are no decent bands coming up to headline status anymore and you're left recycling Foos, Muse, Metallica every few years.

What? The music industry execs aren't sitting around saying "please somebody listen to Unknown Pleasures" because they're waiting to push one post-punk influenced band to the top, and I'm sure they'd mostly remember when Interpol's breakthrough and Bloc Party and Editors' debuts came in the space of a year in the wake of The Strokes (another hugely 70's/80's influenced band) getting the ball rolling.

Bands don't make themselves headliners, festivals make the headliners. And now it's such a cutthroat industry that one poor selling year can kill a festival stone-dead, they just can't afford to take a chance on new bands.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What? The music industry execs aren't sitting around saying "please somebody listen to Unknown Pleasures" because they're waiting to push one post-punk influenced band to the top, and I'm sure they'd mostly remember when Interpol's breakthrough and Bloc Party and Editors' debuts came in the space of a year in the wake of The Strokes (another hugely 70's/80's influenced band) getting the ball rolling.

Bands don't make themselves headliners, festivals make the headliners. And now it's such a cutthroat industry that one poor selling year can kill a festival stone-dead, they just can't afford to take a chance on new bands.

I weren't asking for another Joy Division tribute act (of which there have been plenty hyped up and then fizzle away. White Lies?), I was simply saying where is the next Joy Division, i.e. a band offering up something new and different. The last new rock movement was shoegaze and that was in the late 80s. 

Bands like The Vaccines and The Courteeners can only be hyped up for so long before their popularity hits a wall, because they're offering up nothing different and therefore won't develop into a headliner. The same popularity nosedive happened to The Strokes when everyone discovered they were just rehashing what had come before and I don't see them mentioned anywhere as headliners anymore.

Therefore we're left with the same bands who can fill a stadium headlining every festival or you promote bands to headline status that aren't and will never be headliners. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

Therefore we're left with the same bands who can fill a stadium headlining every festival or you promote bands to headline status that aren't and will never be headliners. 

But we really aren't left with that are we? This year had one (arguably) 'stadium' band in RHCP that hadn't played in 10 years, a previous headliner in Biffy, then 3 smaller acts given the push to headliners. 

"and will never be headliners" - WHAT... how can you say this? 

16 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I weren't asking for another Joy Division tribute act (of which there have been plenty hyped up and then fizzle away. White Lies?), I was simply saying where is the next Joy Division, i.e. a band offering up something new and different. The last new rock movement was shoegaze and that was in the late 80s. 

Bands like The Vaccines and The Courteeners can only be hyped up for so long before their popularity hits a wall, because they're offering up nothing different and therefore won't develop into a headliner. The same popularity nosedive happened to The Strokes when everyone discovered they were just rehashing what had come before and I don't see them mentioned anywhere as headliners anymore.

Joy Division were never festival headliners though, neither were all the shoegaze acts and when The Clash started doing stadiums their output had already gone to shit. You're romanticising the wrong thing if this is what you want from a headliner. One of the most forward thinking and exciting groups I can think of right now would be Death Grips and they've got a pretty massive following nowadays but are they gonna headline a festival or play an arena? Fuck no.

Besides, bands aren't hitting a wall because they're offering up nowt different - and there are tons of bands that will hit headline status without offering anything different to thousands of bands up and down the country - but because, since the internet became a part of every day life, there's a fickle nature about popular music nowadays whereby it's difficult as hell for a band to maintain a following right to the top and they can barely go away for a holiday without their careers ending.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

But we really aren't left with that are we? This year had one (arguably) 'stadium' band in RHCP that hadn't played in 10 years, a previous headliner in Biffy, then 3 smaller acts given the push to headliners. 

"and will never be headliners" - WHAT... how can you say this? 

I mean acts like MCR. The same year they were classed as a headliner by R/L, they couldn't headline Radio 1 Big Weekend or TITP, that's not what I'd call a headline band. I don't think YMAS or Paramore are headliners either, because their music doesn't have mass cross appeal to young and old. I think YMAS will be promoted to a headliner, if not 2017, then 2018, which is why I'm using them as an example. 

True RHCP haven't played in 10 years, but the fact is they'll have to be wheeled out again at some point. In the last ten years, you could say only Arctics, maybe Mumford as well, have developed into a band who could sell out Wembley. 

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Joy Division were never festival headliners though, neither were all the shoegaze acts and when The Clash started doing stadiums their output had already gone to shit. You're romanticising the wrong thing if this is what you want from a headliner. One of the most forward thinking and exciting groups I can think of right now would be Death Grips and they've got a pretty massive following nowadays but are they gonna headline a festival or play an arena? Fuck no.

Besides, bands aren't hitting a wall because they're offering up nowt different - and there are tons of bands that will hit headline status without offering anything different to thousands of bands up and down the country - but because, since the internet became a part of every day life, there's a fickle nature about popular music nowadays whereby it's difficult as hell for a band to maintain a following right to the top and they can barely go away for a holiday without their careers ending.

To be fair, they never got the chance to be but New Order became one, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Joy Division would have headlined Glastonbury or Reading. 

My point was more the bands that are hyped up as the 'future' all seem to be the same old regurgitated shite as before, like Blossoms who are just another Oasis/Roses wannabe. I remember five years ago when everyone was saying The Vaccines would be Reading and Glastonbury headliners by now and yet they're not bigger than when they first came out. The industry is lacking something fresh new and exciting at the moment, like in the late 90s/early millennium, when there were some true horror headliners and needs some new bands who can become arena sellers, stadium sellers etc as well as differing from their peers. Like I said earlier, in the last decade only really Arctic Monkeys have become that. Of course though, that also means you'll get another 100 soundalike bands being signed up afterwards and you're back to square one again, so the industry works in weird ways. 

Edited by Chinaski_

21 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I mean acts like MCR. The same year they were classed as a headliner by R/L, they couldn't headline Radio 1 Big Weekend or TITP, that's not what I'd call a headline band. I don't think YMAS or Paramore are headliners either, because their music doesn't have mass cross appeal to young and old. I think YMAS will be promoted to a headliner, if not 2017, then 2018, which is why I'm using them as an example. 

True RHCP haven't played in 10 years, but the fact is they'll have to be wheeled out again at some point. In the last ten years, you could say only Arctics, maybe Mumford as well, have developed into a band who could sell out Wembley. 

Florence + The Machine headlined Glastonbury but didn't headline Radio 1 Big Weekend in 2015. It's a charity festival and nothing should be read into where it places it acts - this year Fetty Wap played higher than Tame Impala and Iggy Azelea higher than Catfish & The Bottlemen. TITP is a festival in a different country with a headliner pool different to R&L - the fact that MCR didn't headline when they played is irrelevant to their R&L booking. Paramore headlined in 2014, how are they not headliners? I have no idea why you'd think headliners must have cross appeal to both young and old also. If they shift tickets then they'll be booked, doesn't matter only 10 people above 35yrs see them. 

I can't see RHCP ever being booked again. They'll already ageing and it's not like they're churning out new material every three or four years. Since 2006 the following headliners could have (or did) play Wembley Stadium: Muse, RHCP, The Killers, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Arctic Monkeys, Guns N' Roses, Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Eminem and Mumford and Sons. 

If we're talking about playing Wembley right now you'd probably only lose The Killers, Kasabian and maybe Mumford from that list.

11 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Florence + The Machine headlined Glastonbury but didn't headline Radio 1 Big Weekend in 2015. It's a charity festival and nothing should be read into where it places it acts - this year Fetty Wap played higher than Tame Impala and Iggy Azelea higher than Catfish & The Bottlemen. TITP is a festival in a different country with a headliner pool different to R&L - the fact that MCR didn't headline when they played is irrelevant to their R&L booking. Paramore headlined in 2014, how are they not headliners? I have no idea why you'd think headliners must have cross appeal to both young and old also. If they shift tickets then they'll be booked, doesn't matter only 10 people above 35yrs see them. 

I can't see RHCP ever being booked again. They'll already ageing and it's not like they're churning out new material every three or four years. Since 2006 the following headliners could have (or did) play Wembley Stadium: Muse, RHCP, The Killers, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Arctic Monkeys, Guns N' Roses, Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Eminem and Mumford and Sons. 

If we're talking about playing Wembley right now you'd probably only lose The Killers, Kasabian and maybe Mumford from that list.

She only headlined Glastonbury because the Foos pulled out. She was supposed to be subbing originally.

What makes Paramore a headline band? They were promoted to co headline because they're not a big enough draw on their own and because FR are desperate to make new headliners. It's like saying FOB are a headline band because they co headlined this year, yet at their peak in 2009 they could only play fourth down. It does matter that your headliners appeal to a mass audience, which is why Metallica, Foos, RHCP, Muse keep headlining because they sell huge numbers of tickets, both for the day and the whole festival. It's nothing to do with subjectivity as well, as I criticised having The Libs as a headliner even though I'm a fan. 

Of course the Chilis will be back, you can't ignore a band that shifts tickets. They're headlining off the back of their career and Blood Sex Sugar Magik, not their latest album, just like Metallica still headline off the back of The Black Album and Green Day, American Idiot.