2017 festival

kaosmark2

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

She only headlined Glastonbury because the Foos pulled out. She was supposed to be subbing originally.

Yet they chose to bump them up rather than replace Foos, it's not like they haven't replaced headliners in the past.

5 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

What makes Paramore a headline band?

Because they headlined.. you can erode the meaning of 'headliner' as much as you like but Paramore headlined in 2014. It really is that simple.

12 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Metallica, Foos, RHCP, Muse keep headlining because they sell huge numbers of tickets, both for the day and the whole festival. It's nothing to do with subjectivity as well, as I criticised having The Libs as a headliner even though I'm a fan. 

Foos have headlined 3 times in 15 years
Metallica 4 times in 19 years
RHCP 4 times in 23 years
Muse 2 times in 10 years

If you you think these bookings are too frequent then I really don't know what to say. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Yet they chose to bump them up rather than replace Foos, it's not like they haven't replaced headliners in the past.

Because they headlined.. you can erode the meaning of 'headliner' as much as you like but Paramore headlined in 2014. It really is that simple.

RHCP 4 times in 23 years
Muse 2 times in 10 years

If you you think these bookings are too frequent then I really don't know what to say. 

I don't just mean at Reading, but Muse played Download in 2015 and Glastonbury in 2016, Glastonbury in 2010 etc. Foos and Metallica are always playing other festivals too. Admittedly the Chilis are somewhat fresh again on the festival circuit but they're still a headliner that's been around the blocks and still living off their old material.

It was an easy decision for them to pick Florence, given the tickets were already sold out and it was a chance to propel her to headline status. I can't see her below headline for the next couple of years, if she tours of course. And if she comes back with a new album, it will probably be even bigger than the last one. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Fall Out Boy at their peak in 2009? Is that why they co-headlined in 2016? They're bigger now than they ever have been. 

2 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

their peak in 2009 

They weren't even together in 2009?? As much as i prefer their Infinity on High and Under the Cork Tree albums they are huge now!! Save rock on roll went down very well and now hits like 'Centuries' and 'Uma Thurman' are making them far bigger than they were, they really proved themselves as worthy headliners on sunday night imo

1 minute ago, callum97 said:

I didn't mean to quote :/

FOB are the biggest they've ever been and I'd be amazed if they didn't do a stadium show after the next album. Anyway, for 2017:

BMTH/YM@6 (co)
ADTR

Foos
Tame Impala

The Killers
Black Keys

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

RHCP 4 times in 23 years
Muse 2 times in 10 years

I get what you are saying here but I do get the guys point although he's terming it wrong. They were a headliner of a form yes but when booked as a co-headliner, that is exactly what you were, it means the booker didn't deem you strong enough to carry out the extra on your own or they would give you it.....or they would simply just give both acts 1.5hrs and reduce the band number on that day.

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Fall Out Boy at their peak in 2009? Is that why they co-headlined in 2016? They're bigger now than they ever have been. 

Not that I am saying I agree with him but they were massive in 2009, it's the only year they have a 02 Arena date on their tour....and yes I know they did Wembley twice last year but that is selling 12.5k a night, not 20k in one night. They also played Wembley late 2008 along with some other arenas before they did those early 2009 dates and played Reading as well after.....in a year that it sold out rapidly still.

Remember that the lineups now are not close to as strong as they were back then either. FOB in question were doing a tour with the same venue but more dates in 2008 that BMTH did when they solely did Wembley and subbed, this shows you the difference as FOB weren't close to subbing in 2008. Sales etc I know isn't everything but album certification says everything about the difference between the two and it is nowadays a lot easier than it was to get to those figures.

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Are they? Admittedly I don't watch MTV2 anymore, but I don't recall hearing any of their new stuff. Didn't they have a comeback in 2013 as well? They only played third down then.

4 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Florence + The Machine headlined Glastonbury but didn't headline Radio 1 Big Weekend in 2015. It's a charity festival and nothing should be read into where it places it acts - this year Fetty Wap played higher than Tame Impala and Iggy Azelea higher than Catfish & The Bottlemen. TITP is a festival in a different country with a headliner pool different to R&L - the fact that MCR didn't headline when they played is irrelevant to their R&L booking. Paramore headlined in 2014, how are they not headliners? I have no idea why you'd think headliners must have cross appeal to both young and old also. If they shift tickets then they'll be booked, doesn't matter only 10 people above 35yrs see them. 

I can't see RHCP ever being booked again. They'll already ageing and it's not like they're churning out new material every three or four years. Since 2006 the following headliners could have (or did) play Wembley Stadium: Muse, RHCP, The Killers, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Arctic Monkeys, Guns N' Roses, Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Eminem and Mumford and Sons. 

If we're talking about playing Wembley right now you'd probably only lose The Killers, Kasabian and maybe Mumford from that list.

Totally agree here, plus T in the Park is a dog shit of a festival were the masses flock to see Calvin Harris press play on his ipod and press smoke machine buttons, and the likes of LCD Soundsystem and John Grant cant  pull a decent crowd.

1 hour ago, swede said:

Totally agree here, plus T in the Park is a dog shit of a festival were the masses flock to see Calvin Harris press play on his ipod and press smoke machine buttons, and the likes of LCD Soundsystem and John Grant cant  pull a decent crowd.

Tbh I can see why LCD and John Grant can't pull decent crowds. Just because you dislike Calvin Harris doesn't mean you have to like these, they aren't mainstream acts so aren't going to be at the top of everyone's must see list. LCD could have easily topped tents in the UK this year.

44 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Fall Out Boy are a long way off playing stadium shows. 

Yep they are and I was a massive fan, last album was awful though. Their last two are not what made them was they are now, FUTCT and IOH did, and probably rightly so. The latter entered a lot higher but both sold massively.

Edited by thewayiam

9 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

They've definitely got bigger, especially in the States, as a result of their new album though. I didn't like their last album at all but was a great album for them in boosting their profile and brand. 

Oh hugely, I said that off all the bump ups this year that they have worked hardest for longest and deserve their slot. Talking of the bump ups, it makes sense what someone said about Disclosure being a late draft in considering people expected them not to play Glasto for the reason they were at Reading.

1 minute ago, lightning1000 said:

Isn't this the 2017 thread? Why have we got 2 pages about a 2016 co-headliner? 

Anyway, if I had to take an early punt on next years headliners I'd go for...

Guns n Roses 

My Chemical Romance 

Kasabian 

I think Kasabian are very likely, then I think it could be any of MCR, Paramore, Blink, BMTH, YM@6 in eithert straight out headliner or co-headliner. I don't think any festival will pay enough for GNR bar BST and unless R&L put their day tickets up for one day there is almost zero chance of it. You won't get a ticket to GNR for £60 even if FR let Axl have main stage to himself with no one playing that day. Download don't have them which was clear given the scheme they are running. Multiple stadium dates early summer in Europe.

Could see them going for Kasabian, The Prodigy with a Pendulum return subbing and then a Royal Blood/YMA6 co-headline. The Killers probably a decent shout too as they'd go down very well with the current crowd. Shouldn't rule blink out I guess but would be fucking stupid booking them again this soon. MCR will headline if they're actually reuniting this early. BMTH a possibility, maybe with YMA6 subbing. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

On 29 August 2016 at 9:51 PM, dentalplan said:

That's a nice line up but the reason people like you and I haven't been for a while is because they're not booking those line ups. And they're not gonna start booking to get us back either.

Great 21st century bands? Critical acclaim? What has all this shit got to do with Reading headliners? And why would booking popular entry-level rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica open the door for Arcade Fire? Your usual outlook is that the bands you want to be booked are 'overdue a return' and complaints about the bands that are booked; this isn't a coincidence.

As I keep saying, I would love to see them back as much as you both do but I'm just outlining that I'm not expecting it.

Because that's exactly the criteria that determines headliner status at festivals. RHCP and Metallica are supposedly not popular with the "modern crowd" any more, according to people on here, yet they still booked them.

I'm not sure which bands I'm complaining about? Usually I feel that Reading and Leeds get it spot on when choosing headliners, even though obviously a few aren't to my personal taste. I was using "Skrillex fans" to highlight the sort of music the "modern crowd" are perceived to be into.

That post wasn't aimed at you in particular, but as I said before, I'm certain Festival Republic would have them in a heartbeat.

And to be fair, I recall a lot of people including myself being surprised at Fall Out Boy only being 4th down in 2009. Plus the reunion factor tends to push bands up the bill. Blink 182, The Libertines and Rage Against The Machine all being case in point, despite them all playing lower slots when they were all in their prime.

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Could see them going for Kasabian, The Prodigy with a Pendulum return subbing and then a Royal Blood/YMA6 co-headline. The Killers probably a decent shout too as they'd go down very well with the current crowd. Shouldn't rule blink out I guess but would be fucking stupid booking them again this soon. MCR will headline if they're actually reuniting this early. BMTH a possibility, maybe with YMA6 subbing. 

I forgot Pendulum, if they play they headline. No way will RB/YM@6 co-headline and not Pendulum, they have already subbed main stage festivals/equivalent and reunion hype will do the trick. They headlined main stage at UMF. FR won't book The Prodigy to headline again. I am actually expecting Download to book them again after next year along with Linkin Park probably.

43 minutes ago, VCK said:

Because that's exactly the criteria that determines headliner status at festivals. RHCP and Metallica are supposedly not popular with the "modern crowd" any more, according to people on here, yet they still booked them.

I'm not sure which bands I'm complaining about? Usually I feel that Reading and Leeds get it spot on when choosing headliners, even though obviously a few aren't to my personal taste. I was using "Skrillex fans" to highlight the sort of music the "modern crowd" are perceived to be into.

That post wasn't aimed at you in particular, but as I said before, I'm certain Festival Republic would have them in a heartbeat.

I don't think people feel they aren't popular enough, RHCP is mainly because they are shit now and their show that some of us remember was....but 16/17 year old's now were 10. Add to that they are give or take the price of the day ticket on last outdoor shows. Metallica are one of the heavier bands that will appeal and were booked so Soni didn't, simple as.

11 minutes ago, VCK said:

And to be fair, I recall a lot of people including myself being surprised at Fall Out Boy only being 4th down in 2009. Plus the reunion factor tends to push bands up the bill. Blink 182, The Libertines and Rage Against The Machine all being case in point, despite them all playing lower slots when they were all in their prime.

FOB were defo playing a slower lower than they should be in 09 even given that lineups were stronger then. They were defo bigger than Maximo Park, YYY's and possibly even Placebo back then tbf, defo drawing bigger crowds than most on their day. I think they took 3rd down in 2013 just to be on a bill again but they were easily able to sub, if they brought out Save Rock & Rock a year later say instead of Folie a Deux and carried on as they would of headlined easily 3/4 years ago.

Edited by thewayiam

7 hours ago, callum97 said:

They weren't even together in 2009?? As much as i prefer their Infinity on High and Under the Cork Tree albums they are huge now!! Save rock on roll went down very well and now hits like 'Centuries' and 'Uma Thurman' are making them far bigger than they were, they really proved themselves as worthy headliners on sunday night imo

They were together in 2009. They played R&L that year and split later on. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

FOB were defo playing a slower lower than they should be in 09 even given that lineups were stronger then. They were defo bigger than Maximo Park, YYY's and possibly even Placebo back then tbf

lol no they weren't. they were actually on a slight downswing by that point with Foile a Deux not doing nearly as well as Infinity on High (barely broke the top 40). mad what a 5 year wait and 'hiatus' can do for a band

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

FOB were defo playing a slower lower than they should be in 09 even given that lineups were stronger then. They were defo bigger than Maximo Park, YYY's and possibly even Placebo back then tbf, defo drawing bigger crowds than most on their day. I think they took 3rd down in 2013 just to be on a bill again but they were easily able to sub, if they brought out Save Rock & Rock a year later say instead of Folie a Deux and carried on as they would of headlined easily 3/4 years ago.

I actually thought that line-up was pretty weak. Bloc Party subbing for the second year in a row, and playing a high main stage slot for the third year in a row?

Edited by VCK