2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Bands that are long overdue a return:

Arcade Fire
Manic Street Preachers
Weezer
The Black Keys
Slipknot
Incubus

Surely at least one of them will be there next year?

Manics don't really fit the demographic anymore. Slipknot are one of the few acts suitable to headline Download so they'll probably just stick with headlining that every few years, and they've toured the UK this year and last year so I don't think they'll be about next year. Arcade Fire will hopefully headline next year. The Black Keys subbing would be great, maybe they'll be coheadliners though, either way I can definitely see them being booked. Weezer too seem pretty likely but I don't know if they'll still be touring. I don't know anything about Incubus so don't have an opinion there.

37 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Manics don't really fit the demographic anymore. Slipknot are one of the few acts suitable to headline Download so they'll probably just stick with headlining that every few years, and they've toured the UK this year and last year so I don't think they'll be about next year. Arcade Fire will hopefully headline next year. The Black Keys subbing would be great, maybe they'll be coheadliners though, either way I can definitely see them being booked. Weezer too seem pretty likely but I don't know if they'll still be touring. I don't know anything about Incubus so don't have an opinion there.

Black Keys aren't co-headliners. They'd be lucky to retain their sub spot.

I dunno about that but you're right that if there's any way they'll go it's down rather than up. There's some doubt as to whether they will return considering the stagnation following Turn Blue and how content Dan is with The Arcs.

Re: Arcade Fire; I can't see them playing R+L again. It just doesn't seem a good fit for their fans or the typical R+L goer now but I'm frequently proven wrong by that thinking so hopefully I will be again. Next year I can see them just doing their own major outdoor show like Milton Keynes Bowl or somewhere else they haven't done.

27 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Dunno, depends on the new album as always, but they're as big as Disclosure at least surely.

I wouldn't say they are anywhere near as popular as Disclosure with the current R+L demographic, i wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't get booked again, their last album definitely dropped their stock and the acts that they are willing to book is cutting a lot of the older bands off.

Edited by Gozpot

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

I wouldn't say they are anywhere near as popular as Disclosure with the current R+L demographic, i wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't get booked again, their last album definitely dropped their stock and the acts that they are willing to book is cutting a lot of the older bands off.

You could well be right mate. They're one of my favourite bands that I'm yet to see, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

You could well be right mate. They're one of my favourite bands that I'm yet to see, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I like them too but i think they missed their chance to headline now, subbing could still happen but i think there's a lot of acts they would book ahead because of the current relevance levels of the bands

Edited by Gozpot

Melv should probably have booked them to headline in 2014 instead of having them do Latitude. Then even with the indifference to Turn Blue, they would have got there on El Camino anyway.

What's the thought on Vampire Weekend? Not necessarily 2017 but could they headline next time they tour? They seemed to be at the peak of both their critical and commercial appeal on the last album but they're not somebody anyone talks about moving up.

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What's the thought on Vampire Weekend? Not necessarily 2017 but could they headline next time they tour? They seemed to be at the peak of both their critical and commercial appeal on the last album but they're not somebody anyone talks about moving up.

not for Reading/Leeds. i think their poorly selling arena tour was a good indicator that, despite the critical acclaim and decent chart placings, they aren't quite there yet as all out major festival headliners, and are still a big (okay, huge) cult act. i think it'd be a pretty poorly attended set if they headlined. but that said, fuck it, they deserve that push. three stellar albums thus far and i doubt the quality will be stopping any time soon

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

not for Reading/Leeds. i think their poorly selling arena tour was a good indicator that, despite the critical acclaim and decent chart placings, they aren't quite there yet as all out major festival headliners, and are still a big (okay, huge) cult act. i think it'd be a pretty poorly attended set if they headlined. but that said, fuck it, they deserve that push. three stellar albums thus far and i doubt the quality will be stopping any time soon

I didn't know/forgot that the tour didn't sell well. I shoulda gone to that shit. If they were British they'd already be headliners wouldn't they? :lol:

I do fear the quality will dip now Rostam's gone. Don't think the popularity will wane because people only seem to be bothered if the frontman goes but there'll be a lot of pressure on Ezra to keep it up.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Melv should probably have booked them to headline in 2014 instead of having them do Latitude. Then even with the indifference to Turn Blue, they would have got there on El Camino anyway.

It would have been a better booking than Kasabian imo. That was far too late. Should have happened after West Ryder.

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Vampire Weekend won't headline ever.

I guess with The Black Keys, it will all depend on how their next album does. Even so, they could still retain their sub slot. The Vaccines retained 3rd this year and no-one cares about them now.

Arcade Fire supposedly didn't suit the demographic when they headlined in 2010, given the amount of people who claimed they had never heard of them, and they're bigger now than they were back then. The Manics could easily play a crowd pleasing set if they stuck to their hits. I'm sure a lot of the young 'uns have at least heard A Design For Life and If You Tolerate This. If not, would having them as FR headliners be too far fetched? They still play arenas, but in recent years they've taken lowly slots at festivals.

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

I guess with The Black Keys, it will all depend on how their next album does. Even so, they could still retain their sub slot. The Vaccines retained 3rd this year and no-one cares about them now.

The Black Keys aren't going to headline, they'd do well to retain their sub slot. Exactly the same thing with The Vaccines, they were lucky to retain that spot.

The Black Keys, The Vaccines, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club etc aren't going to ever get to be headliners unless R+L screw up bookings and are desperate.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I hope the festival that actively seeks out a headline slot by Blink-182 every time they tour doesn't screw up their bookings or get desperate.

They didn't book Blink when they toured in 2012 and Blink have also done a considerable amount more to justify headlining, however if they book them again next year it is ridiculous.

On 23/08/2016 at 7:31 PM, dentalplan said:

I dunno about that but you're right that if there's any way they'll go it's down rather than up. There's some doubt as to whether they will return considering the stagnation following Turn Blue and how content Dan is with The Arcs.

Re: Arcade Fire; I can't see them playing R+L again. It just doesn't seem a good fit for their fans or the typical R+L goer now but I'm frequently proven wrong by that thinking so hopefully I will be again. Next year I can see them just doing their own major outdoor show like Milton Keynes Bowl or somewhere else they haven't done.

If they don't fit RandL, where would they? I thought Melvin loved them and I'd be surprised if they weren't one of the options for next year.

I could see Prophets of Rage headlining or subheadlining. The hype from the Rage fans would be pretty high I think and if they're an exclusive or playing their first UK show, they'd sell a lot of tickets.

So who do we think are likely for next year so far then? Surely YM@6 but what slot? And what about those who pulled out this year? I reckon HAIM are most likely if they pulled out to finish their album in time. I'm praying for Parkway though, that was a huge disappointment 

6 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

If they don't fit RandL, where would they? I thought Melvin loved them and I'd be surprised if they weren't one of the options for next year.

Arcade Fire?  I dunno I mean, as much as their performance last time was a success, the crowd they got was quite small and I'm not sure whether there's been smaller since. Plus their booking policy seems to moved a bit more central now so I just feel as if they'd be better off booking something completely uninspiring that sells tickets than Arcade Fire coming back. I'd love them to come back though and it'd guarantee me a return.

They fit Glastonbury and Latitude - tho obviously they're respectively too recent and too big to do those - and I guess I could also see them doing either Isle of Wight or Bestival (RDB is a big fan) but as I said, I could sooner see them doing their own big show like they've done at Victoria Park and when they did BST.

2 hours ago, OscarEB said:

So who do we think are likely for next year so far then? Surely YM@6 but what slot? And what about those who pulled out this year? I reckon HAIM are most likely if they pulled out to finish their album in time. I'm praying for Parkway though, that was a huge disappointment 

I don't see YMAS moving up at all, to be honest. I have a feeling they've hit their level and they'll be third again but that's just a hunch and they could well move up some. Parkway won't be back - they only nixed one date of a whole August run so it wouldn't be prudent to make a trip for a single show. Haim will obviously be doing tons of festivals next summer so yeah I guess they could well be back.

2 hours ago, OscarEB said:

Personally can't see any of the bands who pulled out coming back. Parkway did Reading and it's unlikely for them to just come back for Leeds, HAIM possibly but I didn't ever see them fitting in on that bill anyway. The rappers (A$AP, Travis Scott, G-Easy) have probably realised that it's not possible to go to the VMAs and do R&L, and personally I think they'd rather do the former - IMO they should just get rid of the 1Xtra tent, so many big acts conveniently pulling out since its inception a few years ago. With regards to YM@S, I think they're nailed on to do a co/head set. Not too sure who with yet though.