2017 festival

kaosmark2

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Are Avenged Sevenfold bigger than Slipknot? Surely not?

Just surprised this tour is more expensive than my Slipnot ticket was in February (which was the same price as I paid last year when they had Korn as support, so I don't think it's cos of Disturbed). 50 odd pound is taking the piss a bit. Probably for the best I give it a miss though as I'll probably have exams on the week they're in Manchester, but I'm a bit gutted about that. Not into a lot of this genre but I enjoy them.

But yeah, absolutely nailed on for Download I'd imagine. Probably wouldn't go down very well at R&L.

slipknot also rake in the money with early entry and their meet and greet packages, also that was slipknots second tour of the album and they had their download headline set. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I guess that Slipknot tour with Korn was January 2015 and announced a few weeks before they were announced to headline Download. But obviously that's Slipknot and I'm pretty sure their tour had mostly sold out by the time they were announced for Download, whereas A7X probably won't have and there'd be a couple of months where they need to sell gig tickets and have Download sell tickets off their name too. All in all, I don't really know.

Avenged headlining would be awesome and a nice new heavy headliner for the festival. I remember them plugging the shit out of Hail To The King at Leeds in 2013, playing an advertisement for the album all the time on the main stage between bands. Couldn't go anywhere without hearing that intro to the title track :lol: 

However, I can't see it. I just don't think they appeal enough to R&L's audience. Much more likely for Download 2017. 

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think they would have to headline if they were to play again otherwise it's a pretty dumb move from Festival Republic.

Maybe if they, like, coheadlined with SOAD that would overcome the obstacle of putting either act lower down at Reading and still headline at Download. Maybe.

Oh yeah, for sure. If Avenged play, they headline, no doubt. 

A7X / SOAD would be one awesome night of music :P 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Until System of a Down ended and Avenged Sevenfold began

I actually agree with you, Reading does not need to book them in any headline capacity!, Download didn't either....low ticket sales showed that. This said, 2014 Download was, possibly along with this year the worst one overall I've seen. I still doubt SOAD would get anything but a sub as well.

Lots of chat recently (mostly from a Billy himself) of a Smashing Pumpkins reunion with Jimmy, James and D'Arcy all taking part. That'd be pretty awesome. Would they get booked for R&L? I reckon they would make a really strong sub. Not big enough to headline anymore. 

Blink 182 / A Day To Remember / Run The Jewels / Twin Atlantic / Neck Deep / Sum 41 / Moose Blood / Beartooth / Milk Teeth

FLUME / Metronomy

Billy Talent / The Story So Far / Four Year Strong 

Kasabian / Royal Blood / Catfish and The Bottlemen / Wolf Alice / Peace / Manchester Orchestra / Pulled Apart By Horses / Ratboy / VANT

Brand New / Don Broco / PVRIS

Killswitch Engage / The Ghost Inside / Motionless In White 

My Chemical Romance (performing: The Black Parade) / The Smashing Pumpkins / Weezer / Architects / New Found Glory / Marmozets / Bury Tomorrow / Black Peaks / Creeper

Jake Bugg / Stormzy

letlive. / Every Time I Die / La Dispute

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Lots of chat recently (mostly from a Billy himself) of a Smashing Pumpkins reunion with Jimmy, James and D'Arcy all taking part. That'd be pretty awesome. Would they get booked for R&L? I reckon they would make a really strong sub. Not big enough to headline anymore. 

I would've thought the idea behind reuniting would be to get headline type billing/fees - they could sub now without reuniting the old gang. I wouldn't say there's been lots of chat though and Billy practically refuted it, but COS seem to have a source saying it's in the works.

Seeing as the current line up has Jimmy anyway I'd rather they just toured with that, to be honest. James is bang average and D'Arcy same, but she's barely played in twenty years. But if it means they get more offers to play places rather than one or two shows every few albums then I suppose that's alright.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Blink 182 / A Day To Remember / Run The Jewels / Twin Atlantic / Neck Deep / Sum 41 / Moose Blood / Beartooth / Milk Teeth

FLUME / Metronomy

Billy Talent / The Story So Far / Four Year Strong 

Kasabian / Royal Blood / Catfish and The Bottlemen / Wolf Alice / Peace / Manchester Orchestra / Pulled Apart By Horses / Ratboy / VANT

Brand New / Don Broco / PVRIS

Killswitch Engage / The Ghost Inside / Motionless In White 

My Chemical Romance (performing: The Black Parade) / The Smashing Pumpkins / Weezer / Architects / New Found Glory / Marmozets / Bury Tomorrow / Black Peaks / Creeper

Jake Bugg / Stormzy

letlive. / Every Time I Die / La Dispute

Nice lineup. That Sunday would be pretty killer, but I don't think MCR would need to do The Black Parade to reunite. The reissue would've been out almost a year by then. Also, again, can't see them not going with a new headliner.

According to COS, Billy is shopping the reunion for headline slots so I can only see it being a BST jobby, really. No bad thing like because their undercards were hella strong this summer. Don't think it'll happen tho considering Billy announced a solo album and/or a new band project this week and he seems pretty loyal to Shredder but nevertheless, a Smashing Pumpkins BST day would be cash.

14 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I never understood how My Chemical Romance headlined anything in UK. I feel like in Europe they were just another emo band

I guess in UK they seemed to be the emo band. Kinda diminished them really because they had loads of good stuff; first two albums in particular.

They were never much of a successful headliner in hindsight; they were already over the hill in 2011 when they did R+L and it struggled with sales for the first time in quite a while and they weren't a popular choice when they did Download either, with people throwing bottles and stuff. A reunion would hit the spot for nostalgia with a lot of peeps though.

8 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

tayKjEU.jpg

Hate most of these bands but I fully support Hartfest going ahead.

Edit: as long as you don't have Deftones and Weezer on exclusives and they are free to coheadline my conservatory.

Edited by dentalplan

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They were never much of a successful headliner in hindsight; they were already over the hill in 2011 when they did R+L and it struggled with sales for the first time in quite a while

Performance-wise, I thought they were amazing. Right up there with Slipknot at Download 2009 and Biffy Clyro at Reading 2013 as one of my absolute favourite festival headline shows.

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

MCR got so big here because they're the most important band of a generation. Simple as that. It's just a shame that Danger Days sucked. If it had been as successful as The Black Parade, people would look at them very differently. 

Were they the most important band of a generation? The only times I ever heard them being played were when you walked past the #mosher kids vaulting over bars in the playground at dinnertime and the odd play of The Black Parade on Radio One.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Were they the most important band of a generation? The only times I ever heard them being played were when you walked past the #mosher kids vaulting over bars in the playground at dinnertime and the odd play of The Black Parade on Radio One.

I really think they were. That single went to #1 and so did the album. The album was huge. Emo was a cultural phenomenon and probably the last huge subculture that got insane mainstream coverage. I know they distanced themselves from it, but they were the ones responsible for it becoming so massive whether they like it or not. I just can't think of another band in the last 10 years who have had anything close to that kind of influence. 

17 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I never understood how My Chemical Romance headlined anything in UK. I feel like in Europe they were just another emo band

They were the biggest it got in the emo scene, R&L crowd featured a massive crowd in that scene. They headlined Download due the a massively stupid booking by Copping to be honest.