2017 festival

kaosmark2

47 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Arcade Fire?  I dunno I mean, as much as their performance last time was a success, the crowd they got was quite small and I'm not sure whether there's been smaller since. Plus their booking policy seems to moved a bit more central now so I just feel as if they'd be better off booking something completely uninspiring that sells tickets than Arcade Fire coming back. I'd love them to come back though and it'd guarantee me a return.

They fit Glastonbury and Latitude - tho obviously they're respectively too recent and too big to do those - and I guess I could also see them doing either Isle of Wight or Bestival (RDB is a big fan) but as I said, I could sooner see them doing their own big show like they've done at Victoria Park and when they did BST.

I can only see them headlining R/L and Glastonbury and they did Glastonbury recently, so I thought R/L would be next. I don't really see them being booked or being the type of band that IOW attracts, they seem more interested in classic rock. If Arcade Fire are deemed as not fitting R/L anymore, than they're going to be left with just Muse and Arctic Monkeys on a loop, until you promote bands to headline status that don't deserve it, like The Vaccines for example. I haven't been to Reading since 2012, but I doubt it's changed too much since then, there's always been a section of fans who were into indie/alt bands. I haven't liked the line ups enough to commit, but if Arcade Fire were there and there was a good undercard, like Jack White or The National subbing and a few other good bands, rather than a day of lad rock bands, then I would definitely return.

Jack White (co-headline)

Royal Blood (co-headline)

Arcade Fire

The National

Muse

Prophets of Rage

I could see something like that.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They don't suit the modern crowd"= they're not landfill Indie, pop punk or EDM. Which is a pretty moot argument considering how the festival caters to fans of all types of music. Plus the likes of RHCP and Metallica have still been booked in recent years.

Arcade Fire are one of the most acclaimed bands in the world, they will probably go down as one of the great 21st Century bands, and they are notorious for their live show, but because some Skrillex fans in the crowd aren't really into them, Festival Republic won't bother? Behave. If they can get them, they will get them.

2 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

I can only see them headlining R/L and Glastonbury and they did Glastonbury recently, so I thought R/L would be next. I don't really see them being booked or being the type of band that IOW attracts, they seem more interested in classic rock. If Arcade Fire are deemed as not fitting R/L anymore, than they're going to be left with just Muse and Arctic Monkeys on a loop, until you promote bands to headline status that don't deserve it, like The Vaccines for example. I haven't been to Reading since 2012, but I doubt it's changed too much since then, there's always been a section of fans who were into indie/alt bands. I haven't liked the line ups enough to commit, but if Arcade Fire were there and there was a good undercard, like Jack White or The National subbing and a few other good bands, rather than a day of lad rock bands, then I would definitely return.

Jack White (co-headline)

Arcade Fire

The National

Muse

Prophets of Rage

That's a nice line up but the reason people like you and I haven't been for a while is because they're not booking those line ups. And they're not gonna start booking to get us back either.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

"They don't suit the modern crowd"= they're not landfill Indie, pop punk or EDM. Which is a pretty moot argument considering how the festival caters to fans of all types of music. Plus the likes of RHCP and Metallica have still been booked in recent years.

Arcade Fire are one of the most acclaimed bands in the world, they will probably go down as one of the great 21st Century bands, and they are notorious for their live show, but because some Skrillex fans in the crowd aren't really into them, Festival Republic won't bother? Behave. If they can get them, they will get them.

Great 21st century bands? Critical acclaim? What has all this shit got to do with Reading headliners? And why would booking popular entry-level rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica open the door for Arcade Fire? Your usual outlook is that the bands you want to be booked are 'overdue a return' and complaints about the bands that are booked; this isn't a coincidence.

As I keep saying, I would love to see them back as much as you both do but I'm just outlining that I'm not expecting it.

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

You Me At Six co-headline

Proper can't see this. What with the last time they played they were moved down for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and I'm not convinced they've grown any more. The intimate tour that went on sale on Wednesday has only sold out a couple of dates too and when Foals did the same last year they sold out every date more or less on the morning.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm with dental in thinking that they'll probably do IOW. they apparently want them pretty bad and they only played R/L a couple of years ago

I hope not but yeah it seems likely. Wouldn't say it's too soon to return to R&L though, it'll be 4 years, which is fine. Longer than the gap between Biffy playing, and Blink 182 too if the rumours about them headlining next year are true.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Proper can't see this. What with the last time they played they were moved down for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and I'm not convinced they've grown any more. The intimate tour that went on sale on Wednesday has only sold out a couple of dates too and when Foals did the same last year they sold out every date more or less on the morning.

yeah i'm not too sure about it either, but for lack of anybody else i can think of sticking as a co-headliner they'll do for now. if not then obviously subbing this time round

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I hope not but yeah it seems likely. Wouldn't say it's too soon to return to R&L though, it'll be 4 years, which is fine. Longer than the gap between Biffy playing, and Blink 182 too if the rumours about them headlining next year are true.

yeah it wouldn't be too soon, but i just think IOW will've tried harder for them considering it's pool of suitable headliners if ever dwindling and they haven't done it before

Are muse likely for next year? I know in previous years R/L have had a headliner who did Glasto the previous year and out of the three Muse are the obvious choice for R/L and it's been 6 years since their last appearance. Stone Roses were mentioned by a few punters this year but I'm assuming they're going to do Glasto if anything next year. 

4 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Are muse likely for next year? I know in previous years R/L have had a headliner who did Glasto the previous year and out of the three Muse are the obvious choice for R/L and it's been 6 years since their last appearance. Stone Roses were mentioned by a few punters this year but I'm assuming they're going to do Glasto if anything next year. 

I assume Muse will do next to nothing next year. Download last year, Glasto this year...unlikely to play a UK festival 3 years running.

Edited by Odessa

Personally think there's a big chance of BMTH headlining. They've been massively more popular since That's The Spirit, they command the crowd, have a big back catalogue and will probably be working on a new record around the time of RandL. 

I'd love to see something like this...

BMTH (co headline)

Kasabian

Kendrick Lamar

Radiohead

The National

With You Me At Six, Run The Jewels and Haim headlining Radio 1/NME.

21 minutes ago, truthpigeon said:

Personally think there's a big chance of BMTH headlining. They've been massively more popular since That's The Spirit, they command the crowd, have a big back catalogue and will probably be working on a new record around the time of RandL. 

I'd love to see something like this...

BMTH (co headline)

Kasabian

Kendrick Lamar

Radiohead

The National

With You Me At Six, Run The Jewels and Haim headlining Radio 1/NME.

The National sub-headlining? Are you joking? They'd be more suited to NME headliner. Don't see Radiohead playing if they did pull out like they were supposed to.

Going for:

Kasabian
Tame Impala
Catfish & The Bottlemen

BMTH/Royal Blood
Jamie T
Twin Atlantic

Green Day
You Me At Six
A Day To Remember

45 minutes ago, truthpigeon said:

have a big back catalogue

Which they absolutely ignore. 

We're doomed to a lifetime of Chelsea Smile and Blessed With a Curse being the only pre-2013 BMTH material to get a live outing. 

Woulsnt surprise me to see them back and (co?) headlining if they get an album ready for August/September time again. 

After this weekend I've had a little shuffle around of my 2016 prediction. 

Royal Blood / You Me At Six / Twenty One Pilots / Wolf Alice / Twin Atlantic / Moose Blood / PVRIS / Black Peaks / Basement

Chase & Status / Stormzy 

Marmozets / Four Year Strong

Kasabian / Catfish and The Bottlemen / Run The Jewels / Metronomy / Peace  / Circa Waves / Pulled Apart By Horses / Blossoms / VANT

Brand New / Don Broco

Killswitch Engage / The Ghost Inside

Blink-182 / A Day To Remember / Deftones / Architects / Neck Deep / Sum 41 / While She Sleeps / The Menzingers / Creeper

FLUME (closing set) / HAIM

letlive. / Touché Amoré

18 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

After this weekend I've had a little shuffle around of my 2016 prediction. 

Royal Blood / You Me At Six / Twenty One Pilots / Wolf Alice / Twin Atlantic / Moose Blood / PVRIS / Black Peaks / Basement

Chase & Status / Stormzy 

Marmozets / Four Year Strong

Kasabian / Catfish and The Bottlemen / Run The Jewels / Metronomy / Peace  / Circa Waves / Pulled Apart By Horses / Blossoms / VANT

Brand New / Don Broco

Killswitch Engage / The Ghost Inside

Blink-182 / A Day To Remember / Deftones / Architects / Neck Deep / Sum 41 / While She Sleeps / The Menzingers / Creeper

FLUME (closing set) / HAIM

letlive. / Touché Amoré

I agree with Killswitch there and a lot of main stage acts but would Architecys still be likely considering? Ik they're still doing their Uk tour dates but still

If youmeatsix co headline, that's FR trying way too hard to make fetch happen..

also andre a day to remember subbing? Are you serious? Maybe at download but not reading... Not yet. I understand they are your favourite band but I don't think it's logical

9 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

>band agree to play show

>actually sign the contract to do so

>withdraw for unknown reasons

yeah nah radiohead had no intention of playing R&L after all

what a bizarre conclusion to come to?

Yeah, I don't think people consider either that signing a contract then pulling out is actually quite damaging for the band...

if they weren't sure on headlining they never would of signed. (As you said)

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That's a nice line up but the reason people like you and I haven't been for a while is because they're not booking those line ups. And they're not gonna start booking to get us back either.

Great 21st century bands? Critical acclaim? What has all this shit got to do with Reading headliners? And why would booking popular entry-level rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica open the door for Arcade Fire? Your usual outlook is that the bands you want to be booked are 'overdue a return' and complaints about the bands that are booked; this isn't a coincidence.

As I keep saying, I would love to see them back as much as you both do but I'm just outlining that I'm not expecting it.

I guess you're right, although I still can't see how they can ignore that area of music given it's in the festival's heritage. We need an alt festival in this country if Reading don't want to be that anymore. It would have been good if Phoenix had got off the ground like it was muted. There's only so long they can keep repeating headliners and filling the line up with the same pop rock and lad bands on repeat before it goes bust. It might work for a couple of years, but not for 10 years or so. Maybe that's why Blink 182 are being lined up again, because they've dug a hole for themselves. Although that said, Blink are a nostalgia act for people born in the mid 80s to early 90s, not really GCSE kids, and we had our chance in 2010, so booking them for a third time in a space of a few years is mindboggling.

32 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I guess you're right, although I still can't see how they can ignore that area of music given it's in the festival's heritage. We need an alt festival in this country if Reading don't want to be that anymore. It would have been good if Phoenix had got off the ground like it was muted. There's only so long they can keep repeating headliners and filling the line up with the same pop rock and lad bands on repeat before it goes bust. It might work for a couple of years, but not for 10 years or so. Maybe that's why Blink 182 are being lined up again, because they've dug a hole for themselves. Although that said, Blink are a nostalgia act for people born in the mid 80s to early 90s, not really GCSE kids, and we had our chance in 2010, so booking them for a third time in a space of a few years is mindboggling.

I get the feeling that stuff like Blink, Green Day, Muse, etc. are now of timeless appeal as long as stuff like Kerrang exists and introduces them to kids getting into rock music, and that's why they're seemingly on for repeats every few years. I'm sure there'll be people with nostalgia about Blink who only started listening to them after they first broke up. I guess that's why it's good that R+L puts so much emphasis on new headliners at the same time as booking these huge acts in for the fourth or fifth time.

I think there's long been a feeling that there should be a larger sort of indie/alternative festival but at the same time I can see why it might not be viable. The Live Nation/Festival Republic monopoly on the UK festival scene would make it pretty hard to get off the ground as well.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think there's long been a feeling that there should be a larger sort of indie/alternative festival but at the same time I can see why it might not be viable. The Live Nation/Festival Republic monopoly on the UK festival scene would make it pretty hard to get off the ground as well.

True, although I would rather it be a Primavera type than another Radio 1/NME 'indie' festival that R/L love to book. Festivals like Green Man/EOTR are too small and too folky, but I think there's definitely a market for a 30k festival for more eclectic tastes and for people in their 20s/30s that aren't suited for R/L anymore.

16 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Jack White (co-headline)

Arcade Fire

The National

Muse

Prophets of Rage

Yeah, and the festival would sell worse than 2015...

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I get the feeling that stuff like Blink, Green Day, Muse, etc. are now of timeless appeal as long as stuff like Kerrang exists and introduces them to kids getting into rock music, and that's why they're seemingly on for repeats every few years. I'm sure there'll be people with nostalgia about Blink who only started listening to them after they first broke up. I guess that's why it's good that R+L puts so much emphasis on new headliners at the same time as booking these huge acts in for the fourth or fifth time.

If indy shite actually pulled people in more indy shite would get booked, unfortunately indy shite doesn't pull people in anymore, and thus doesn't get booked....

It's really more an industry wide problem for the rock side of music, with the explosion of bands in the mid 2000's now pretty much having run its course, with nothing post 2010 forcing the issue and getting to headline size like multiple bands who started out in the 2000's did, and the latest metal fad (Metalcore) only producing A7X as an even remotely close to headline sized band in the now 15 years the Genre has been large, with BMTH now arguably getting close.