2017 festival

kaosmark2

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If they're not there this year I can't see them returning to headline next year like a lot of people are predicting - I can't remember the last time a band played lower at one festival and then headlined Reading/Leeds the next year promoting the same album*. Just makes them look like a weak headliner. Reckon they'll be subbing to Muse regardless of where they end up at Glastonbury as they're a much more Reading/Leeds type of band.

* queue somebody reeling off a huge list of instances of this happening regularly.

I dunno, if they do Glasto this year (which is unlikely as they are playing at Southside in Germany the same weekend) I could see them doing a co-headlining slot next year. However, I'd expect they'd sub reading before their new album comes out and then come back again in a couple of years to do a full headling/co-headlining slot if this album is a success too

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really expect Royal Blood to be announced for R+L next week; last announcement would've been a prime time to announce them in the middle of all their other festival announcements and also they're on other continents thru August and in Europe from mid-June to late July so it's kinda indicating otherwise.

I personally wouldn't have been predicting them to headline R+L if I'd known they wouldn't have a single out or album date by mid-Feb, but announcing their comeback regardless. If their album comes out over the summer that'd explain why they're set for a slot equivalent to their last Reading slot at Glasto, and they could still headline R+L next year without having played it to death either. Or alternatively book them to sub next year if the album bombs - makes more sense than burning the option this year.

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If they're not there this year I can't see them returning to headline next year like a lot of people are predicting - I can't remember the last time a band played lower at one festival and then headlined Reading/Leeds the next year promoting the same album*. Just makes them look like a weak headliner. Reckon they'll be subbing to Muse regardless of where they end up at Glastonbury as they're a much more Reading/Leeds type of band.

* queue somebody reeling off a huge list of instances of this happening regularly.

I think QOTSA did, didn't they? Subbed Download the year before. Think that was after Like Clockwork had come out.

Edit: Yeah, came out June 2013 and they subbed Download later that month. Then obviously co-headlined R&L the following year. Wouldn't be surprised if it's an almost identical situation for Royal Blood, but Glasto instead of Download.

Edited by Will-2609

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

When they get announced

you can say

i nu it

Great post.

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I think QOTSA did, didn't they? Subbed Download the year before. Think that was after Like Clockwork had come out.

Edit: Yeah, came out June 2013 and they subbed Download later that month. Then obviously co-headlined R&L the following year. Wouldn't be surprised if it's an almost identical situation for Royal Blood, but Glasto instead of Download.

Plus I think what with Glastonbury being sold out and massively televised, it's not like the demand will drop thru the floor for R+L because they played Glasto the year before and didn't headline it. Playing Glasto around the album release date, arena tour in winter then announced to headline Reading in January makes a lot of sense to me atm but I'm usually pretty wrong about this stuff so they'll be announced next week.

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm with the whole playing lower at Glasto and Reading sub idea myself, never thought returning for a headline slot at Reading was on for next year if they don't play this year. They aren't big enough to do Glasto, a big tour a finish there, it's a silly booking for Reading. As said, after Foals/Disclosure, however all that ended up, can't say it's not likely. Ed played lower at Glasto than sub slots elsewhere so.

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Thirty Seconds To Mars to sub Muse. 

They have a states date same area August 12, they could just about fit in Puckelpop/Frequency but if not, I doubt Jared will come over just for a sub slot at Reading with his ego. The other side of the coin, it's an easy to miss decision.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Fairly large (quantity) Pukkelpop announcement coming tomorrow and Sziget midweek so guess a few major names will enter the frame between those. Presumably the main one will be that slim and shady man.

Ah I was quite excited (sad I know) to see who the subs ended up being with us having no idea right now, but Pukkelpop are gonna bust in and ruin it by announcing 30STM or Twenty One Pilots or something.

11 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

When is the announcement?

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Isn't this going to be the big poster announcement we usually get around March time? 

Their social media accounts have said next week. As there is no day yet I'm guessing either Thursday or Friday (I think historically they have done more announcements on a Thursday but I'm not sure?)