2017 festival

kaosmark2

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Muse, Skepta, Korn // London Grammar

Eminem, Major Lazer, TDCC // Bastille

Kasabian, alt-J, Chance the Rapper // Flume

Yep seeing Rudimental and Kaisers are both around gave me a worry too. Surely neither would sub now?

Are Rudimental big enough to sub? I would expect either them or Gorgon City to be the last dance act headliner......

And have people stopped guessing Royal Blood now? If so why? They're still around aren't they?

Edited by Mattymooz

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muse, Royal Blood, Korn, At the Drive In  /  Flume

Kasabian, Skepta, Two Door Cinema Club  /  London Grammar

Eminem, Major Lazer, Chance the Rapper  /  Bastille

I've not at all been keeping up with this so no idea if some of these days are wrong/acts can't appear (Royal Blood, Skepta) but I think that'd be a pretty decent split.

15 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Wonder if the time has something to do with Eminem dropping something new?

Saying that the Wireless one tomorrow is at 8.15am so maybe someone at FR is just a quirky bugger.

It's defo not to speak to him as it's 2:50am in Michigan.

1 minute ago, Hawky said:

This year has the potential to be the best Leeds/ Reading lineup since 2009.

*Disclaimer, I say this every year but I actually mean it this year*

It would have to be since 2010 for me. 2015 was the best I've seen since 10 for me.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Have you missed the first two announcements big fella?

First Announcement I thought was pretty great. 2nd announcement had a lot of repeats s unless you really wanted to see Flume or Fatboy Slim you were outta luck. I agree though, it definitely is massive improvement on last year and depending on the rest of the lineup and who is on what day, this could be really great this year.

21 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Are Rudimental big enough to sub? I would expect either them or Gorgon City to be the last dance act headliner......

And have people stopped guessing Royal Blood now? If so why? They're still around aren't they?

I doubt it. They would have been a couple of years ago probably but not anymore. I haven't heard anything about them for ages.

Royal Blood were never around in August. Now that they haven't been announced for Pukkelpop or Sziget I guess they're just not gonna be doing festivals late Summer. Still a chance I guess but I don't see it.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Have you missed the first two announcements big fella?

Yes.

The headliners are excellent, and the undercard interests me: Flume / Korn / Danny Brown / Major Lazer / Architects / Glass Animals / ATDI / Fatboy Slim / JEW / Wiley

And then we've got the big announcement coming on Friday- which has the potential to be a great (with the acts that are around)

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah I had that at first. Ended up putting Liam Gallagher on before him even though I really don't think he'll play. Then I spotted that London Grammar are around and that made way more sense to me so I swapped them in.

Been looking at other potential NME headliners who are around, the list is:

- London Grammar

- Clean Bandit

- Rudimental (Unlikely but I guess they could. This would make 2 Dance headliners though so unlikely)

- Moderat (Unlikely as Dance again)

- Bonobo (Unlikely as Dance)

- Interpol (Maybe to big for NME headliner)

- Stormzy (maybe too small for NME headliner, kinda guess it depends on his album)

1 hour ago, Hawky said:

Yes.

The headliners are excellent, and the undercard interests me: Flume / Korn / Danny Brown / Major Lazer / Architects / Glass Animals / ATDI / Fatboy Slim / JEW / Wiley

And then we've got the big announcement coming on Friday- which has the potential to be a great (with the acts that are around)

Fair enough, I can't knock you for liking them. It just seems that there's very little when you take out acts riding on former glories or recent repeats or a mixture of the two. Still a few acts I like but it's not shaping up to be a stellar year. I am interested in the next announcement though as there is a lot of potential to turn it around.

34 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

- London Grammar

- Clean Bandit

- Rudimental (Unlikely but I guess they could. This would make 2 Dance headliners though so unlikely)

- Stormzy (maybe too small for NME headliner, kinda guess it depends on his album)

Eh why would there be only one 'dance' NME headliner? Humongously broad blanket term aside, there's usually more than one.

Interpol are out and wouldn't suit the festival anymore, Bonobo wouldn't suit it either. Stormzy certainly wouldn't be out of place as that album's gonna be huge. I'm not too familiar with Moderat but I'd been predicting them for Dance Stage headliner. I couldn't call what level Rudimental are at now but yeah they might be at NME level now.

Wouldn't rule out the likes of Justice, Liam Gallagher, and I suppose Chance could headline it still as well. Chase & Status too, possibly.

Edited by dentalplan

39 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

- London Grammar

- Clean Bandit

Stormzy is about the right size for NME headliner  album will shoot his status upwards, tour sold out rapidly including 3 nights at brixton academy

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair enough, I can't knock you for liking them. It just seems that there's very little when you take out acts riding on former glories or recent repeats or a mixture of the two. Still a few acts I like but it's not shaping up to be a stellar year. I am interested in the next announcement though as there is a lot of potential to turn it around.

I respect your reply.

But in my eyes, nearly every act on the bill has released something great in the past year or is expected to release something with the potential to be great this year. 

Kasabian- massive fan, and they're one of the biggest bands in the UK. New album coming out and the way its being built up, its going to be good. Can't wait to hear the first single.

ATDI- New single dropped today, 'incurably innocent'- its crazy and I love it. Can't wait for their new album (first in 17 years)

Danny Brown- Atrocity Exhibition was huge, 8.5 rating on pitchfork. 5* review from the Guardian too. Can't wait to see him

Glass Animals- (listening to their latest now on vinyl) so funky. They've progressed a lot since the days of Gooey and Black Mambo. (Music wise, and lyrically)

Korn- their latest tour got absolutely RAVE reviews, many say they're back to the best. I just hope we have these headlining the NME. The tent will erupt. ARREEEEE YYYOOUUUU READDYYYYYY?

Flume- is just incredible. 'Skin' just won a grammy! No more needs to be said and to secure a UK exclusive is top draw.

Major Lazer- let's be honest, its always a party when these play. New album dropping soon and some of their singles have been crazy good, 'cold water' for instance.

Bastille- haven't played since '13? Released a 'decent' album last year they always pull a big crowd too.

And lets be honest, Wiley is a must have for any festival now hence the repeat booking.

Muse may have done the rounds the last few years, but they're the best live band on the planet- if you present Melvin with an opportunity to book them, he's going to.

Another factor to consider is the fact there's no co headliners! So that's a bonus. 

Two door is a little uninspired, I'll give that but the rest makes for a promising lineup.

11 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I respect your reply.

But in my eyes, nearly every act on the bill has released something great in the past year or is expected to release something with the potential to be great this year. 

Kasabian- massive fan, and they're one of the biggest bands in the UK. New album coming out and the way its being built up, its going to be good. Can't wait to hear the first single.

ATDI- New single dropped today, 'incurably innocent'- its crazy and I love it. Can't wait for their new album (first in 17 years)

Danny Brown- Atrocity Exhibition was huge, 8.5 rating on pitchfork. 5* review from the Guardian too. Can't wait to see him

Glass Animals- (listening to their latest now on vinyl) so funky. They've progressed a lot since the days of Gooey and Black Mambo. (Music wise, and lyrically)

Korn- their latest tour got absolutely RAVE reviews, many say they're back to the best. I just hope we have these headlining the NME. The tent will erupt. ARREEEEE YYYOOUUUU READDYYYYYY?

Flume- is just incredible. 'Skin' just won a grammy! No more needs to be said and to secure a UK exclusive is top draw.

Major Lazer- let's be honest, its always a party when these play. New album dropping soon and some of their singles have been crazy good, 'cold water' for instance.

Bastille- haven't played since '13? Released a 'decent' album last year they always pull a big crowd too.

And lets be honest, Wiley is a must have for any festival now hence the repeat booking.

Muse may have done the rounds the last few years, but they're the best live band on the planet- if you present Melvin with an opportunity to book them, he's going to.

Another factor to consider is the fact there's no co headliners! So that's a bonus. 

Two door is a little uninspired, I'll give that but the rest makes for a promising lineup.

Bastille were at 15, but have had a new album since. Don't forget Architects being white hot right now, but yeah, spot on

10 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I respect your reply.

My biggest issues are with Two Door, Ratboy and Wiley. It's not an issue that they are all on the line up (I agree with what you said with Wiley completely), however, they shouldn't have been released in the 2nd line up release. I'm not going to buy a ticket to go and just to see Wiley again, I'm not saying I won't see him if there is nothing else inspiring on, but it isn't going to want me to put £240 down on a ticket

20 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I respect your reply.

u ok Melvin?

:P

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think Kaiser Chiefs announcing a show over V weekend is reasonable cause for R+L fans to worry.

Idk they were never realistically going to be back at V this year having headlined the second stage last year, so it doesn't mean as much as it might. Also if it's not just a coincidence and the Foos actually do like to request their support at festivals, R+L might have them pencilled in for next year.

But aye don't get me wrong there are acts you've mentioned that I'd love to see but it stands out now more than ever that it's gonna have repeats and acts that haven't released anything worth a damn in ages because the people that go have mostly just been a couple of years.

That sorta thing must drive demand for those three headliners - I know they have to have one or two reliables to carry it but three acts way past their prime who release albums with no impact just as an excuse to tour again is hella shoddy. Would certainly rather new coheadliners than that. It's pitiful that Eminem will headline for a third time when hip hop is the biggest genre in the world and Kanye and Drake are passed over for someone who's not even present in the genre atm.

27 minutes ago, OscarEB said:

Bastille were at 15, but have had a new album since. Don't forget Architects being white hot right now, but yeah, spot on

Yeah, meant to include Architects. Theyve been through a lot this past year- I'm glad they've continued to perform.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

u ok Melvin?

:P

Haha, I just tried to override the general pessimism aimed at this festivals lineup,

36 minutes ago, OscarEB said:

Highly suspect just posted on FB that tomorrow is a good day for them. Likely to be a music video but hoping for a slot on main stage as well

As much as I would LOVE this, there are already planned announcements for Parklife and Wireless tomorrow.  (admittedly they are very unlikely to do Wireless, and Parklife has labelled their announcement as a 'Huge Artist' so who really knows)