Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's spoilsports like you that ensure we won't see a Pyramid field full of Dylan fans dressed up as tambourines, blue babies, Tom Thumb, big brass beds, Hollis Brown and wiggling bowls of soup.

As long as its not full of Rainy Day Women, i'll take it

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Mardy said:

As long as its not full of Rainy Day Women, i'll take it

Field full of mock famous blue raincoats please.

And in years from now we'll be sporting retro mock mad futuristic hair and inhaling helium from balloons* to singalong and watch Grimes at 'tea time'.

*Tch! Remember the noise of thise pesky Nos things! 

Heheh - this setlist is actually more user-friendly than one you'd get these days. Three tracks from Blonde On Blonde*.

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)
Cold Irons Bound
Just Like a Woman
Silvio
Little Sadie
Masters of War
Tangled Up in Blue
Highway 61 Revisited

Encore:
Love Sick
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
Blowin' in the Wind

(* and one from Down In The Groove)

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Wasn't Dylan "shite" when he played before?

In reality I bet he was incredible.

I walked off in disgust to watch Bernard Butler of all people when I only realised he was playing "Just Like A Woman" because of some of the words near the end.  I had no interest in listening to a setlist full of tunes I'd never heard before with some lyrics I knew.

No regrets.

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Wasn't Dylan "shite" when he played before?

In reality I bet he was incredible.

No. I was there. He was shite.

Obscure setlist, obscured further by massive deviations from the original melodies. All this would be forgivable if performed with some conviction, but I remember him being somewhat uncommunicative, the band fairly leaden and overall a real lack of vibe.

People forget that this was an audience that had just seen Tony Bennett followed by Sonic Youth.

I'm glad I saw Dylan and I'd see him again, but the reality was, it was dreadful.

I had a thought last night, I know it counteracts what ME said about the act being bigger than Dolly but we all know to take what ME said with a sea of salt

what if the legend slot is Will Smith

he's big enough that people would flock to see him but not actually big enough to headline

he's got a back catalogue that would get the crown going

he's got a new album coming out so he's back to doing music

and most of all I'd like it to be him

48 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No. I was there. He was shite.

Obscure setlist, obscured further by massive deviations from the original melodies. All this would be forgivable if performed with some conviction, but I remember him being somewhat uncommunicative, the band fairly leaden and overall a real lack of vibe.

People forget that this was an audience that had just seen Tony Bennett followed by Sonic Youth.

I'm glad I saw Dylan and I'd see him again, but the reality was, it was dreadful.

Its really about the level of expectation. Dylan has always been divisive as a live performer. Since 1965 anyway. If you don't embrace the fact you won't be getting album versions of songs you may not enjoy it to be honest. People still go to the shows thinking hes going to come out with the big afro and an acoustic guitar.

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well, I love Dylan - tho far from obsessively - and for me, those Spirit versions are absolutely fabulous.

Oh no question. Me favouring Dylans versions doesn't mean Randy California (what a name) and co's versions aren't superb.