2016 Other Stage headliners

Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

So Neil if you don't believe that LCD will draw a bigger crowd do you think maybe they'd take a lower slot? it would certainly free up some room?

they're very clearly able to command a major slot, so I guess  that would at least be their aim with Glasto too.

Whether or not they'd be prepared to take whatever slot Glasto might offer them is something aside from that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LCD vs Hot Chp is ludicrous.  Were Hot Chip been bigger than LCD in the UK?  Certainly.

Right now, are LCD a bigger live draw than Hot Chip?  Absolutely, no contest.

Out of LCD/BMTH/New Order, I'd imagine LCD would have the smallest crowd but they'd certainly pull a much bigger one than Hot Chip would headlining Other now.

2 minutes ago, RyanS said:

The LCD vs Hot Chp is ludicrous.  Were Hot Chip been bigger than LCD in the UK?  Certainly.

Out of LCD/BMTH/New Order, I'd imagine LCD would have the smallest crowd but they'd certainly pull a much bigger one than Hot Chip would headlining Other now.

Agreed.  I think Neil is having one of his "Emeli Sandé" moments ;)

1 hour ago, GlastoSimon said:

Ah I dunno about that Neil. Hot Chip at Love Saves The Day looks like it's selling (% wise) at a slower rate than LCD at Lovebox is and they were announced on consecutive days. I appreciate one is a London fest and one is not, but there is a huge difference in capacity.

tho not a 20 times difference in capacity to match up with the 20 times difference in populations within reasonable catchment area. :P

And of course they'll be some novelty value to LCD which will help drive sales, they've not been around for years.

That novelty value will add some numbers to their Glasto crowd size too, tho they'll be other acts up against them too - and those other acts will be more relevant for plenty of people to see instead.

But most of all the reason why the Hot chip crowd will have been bigger than LCD's is this: mainstream.

While it's nice to think it doesn't, Glasto attracts a mainstream-focused crowd, have you noticed the acts that get the biggest slots and the biggest crowds? :P. ... and Hot Chip are radio-familiar to just about everyone, and LCD are not.

I think I agree with the others on here. LCD if they'd carried on would be around the same size (and I admit their UK popularity wasn't huge on their last tour), but the reunion stuff, very few shows etc. means the crowd will be bigger. I'm sure of it.

I don't doubt the crowd will be bigger, but half the size of hot chip plus a bit won't make hot chip's crowd.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

they're not bigger at this moment in time. If LCD had never gone away it might be roughly the same but at this very moment in time LCD are much bigger.

Hot Chip played Leeds Met (Beckett) on their tour in Oct 2015 which is no more than 1,000 capacity (i've seen it quoted as 900) and it barely sold out. I think it did in the end but like a few days before.

LCD are headlining festivals all over europe and if they announced academy sized UK gigs at this moment in time they would sell out in an hour or less. people are desperate to see them because they have been away and they thought it was all over.

So LCD and Hot Chip are similar sizes... LCD go away for 3 years while Hot Chip release another excellent album.

LCD come back and then they're suddenly a bigger? Not for me. Maybe they'll sell more tickets to the same people who suddenly became huge Prince fans 2 years ago, but it doesn't mean Glastonbury would give them a bigger slot.

This isn't to say I don't like LCD. Quite the opposite. But the hype is a bit weird.

52 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

As a huge LCD fan. I don't think they'll pull a massive crowd, but if they sub headline the Pyramid or headline the other they will pull a bigger crowd than Hot Chip did last year, simply off the fact of they were just building up steam as they called it quits and then the internet hype around this reunion. Will help if they get any music out before then 

I'll just make clear that even I think they'll pull a much bigger crowd than Hot chip if they're on the Pyramid, just because it's the Pyramid.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

While it's nice to think it doesn't, Glasto attracts a mainstream-focused crowd, have you noticed the acts that get the biggest slots and the biggest crowds? :P. ... and Hot Chip are radio-familiar to just about everyone, and LCD are not.

Nonsense. They haven't had a top 40 single for 8 years. In the past 6 years they haven't even hit the top 100. Hot Chip are absolutely brilliant, don't get me wrong, but that's beside the point. Maybe on Radio 6 they'd get played, but so would LCD.

16 minutes ago, RyanS said:

I'm not convinced LCD would pull an enormous crowd. Yes there's a ton of hype, but in the end people at the festival will go to bands they've enjoyed over the years and genres they like. And I don't think tens of thousands of festival attendees became LCD fans over the past 3 years.

I don't think it's quite the same thing as who would sell a bigger arena.... which would definitely be LCD right now.

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

Nonsense. They haven't had a top 40 single for 8 years. In the past 6 years they haven't even hit the top 100. Hot Chip are absolutely brilliant, don't get me wrong, but that's beside the point. Maybe on Radio 6 they'd get played, but so would LCD.

but, for a while, Hot Chip came at your from all directions. That never happened with LCD.

As I see it, while LCD have a certain appeal - and magnified because of them reforming - what Hot Chip have is penetration. For somewhere like Glastonbury where there's a choice to be made by a mostly-mainstream-ish crowd, I reckon that penetration wins.

Me, I go 'meh' at both bands. :)

From a neutral standpoint, I know a lot more Hot Chip songs than LCD songs. But LCD are going to be more of a talking point than Hot Chip were purely due to the fact they've reunited and will get a larger crowd because people will be talking about them.

I think it's entirely feasible for LCD to headline Other but it's not outside the realms of possibility for them to do.a Pyramid sub spot, Other sub slot or West Holts headline. The fact it's a reunion makes it difficult to place them.

If you look at Lovebox's previous headliners:
2015 - Rudimental, Snoop Dogg
2014 - Chase & Status, MIA
2013 - Azaelia Banks, Plan B, Goldfrapp

None of those had two acts which are "Other stage headliners", a larger act and a smaller act. With Major Lazer headlining Bestival and Longitude, I would list it as arguably the bigger act with LCD as the MIA/Snoop Dogg/Goldfrapp sized act. I'm just playing devil's advocate and wildly speculating here.

Edited by deadpheasant
grammatical error

5 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

From a neutral standpoint, I know a lot more Hot Chip songs than LCD songs. But LCD are going to be more of a talking point than Hot Chip were purely due to the fact they've reunited and will get a larger crowd because people will be talking about them.

I think it's entirely feasible for LCD to headline Other but it's not in the realms of possibility for them to do.a Pyramid sub spot, Other sub slot or West Holts headline. The fact it's a reunion makes it difficult to place them.

None of those had two acts which are "Other stage headliners", a larger act and a smaller act. With Major Lazer headlining Bestival and Longitude, I would list it as arguably the bigger act with LCD as the MIA/Snoop Dogg/Goldfrapp sized act. I'm just playing devil's advocate and wildly speculating here.

Snoop is surely bigger than the likes of LCD, Goldfrapp and MIA?

25 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

I think it's entirely feasible for LCD to headline Other but it's not in the realms of possibility for them to do.a Pyramid sub spot, Other sub slot or West Holts headline. The fact it's a reunion makes it difficult to place them.

Did you mean to say "Not outside the realms of possibility"? Because otherwise I am very confused, since you've named all the other most similar slots.

6 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

We've got to get them to the farm first before any comparison of crowd size anyway!! its not even certain that they will play just yet.

but if they do I will take the bet, of course! I have honestly no clue about how big the hot chip crowd was tbh as me and all my mates were right down the front on the barrier :lol: 

I think they're nailed on. We know they're doing another English fest because Lovebox have them as a "London festival exclusive", if it was their only festival gig, you'd say so; if it was their only English festival gig, you'd say so. No reason to have them down as that unless they're playing another English fest. Latitude is the only contender left in the running, I really don't see it being Latitude personally, but we'll know Thursday week.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN