2016 Other Stage headliners

Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, theDandy said:

I've just had a look at their earlier albums. They include songs entitled ""For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only (Braille)" & "No Need for Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You on the Back of Toilet Doors". Very hip.

No need... was a piss take in itself right before the album came out a girl accused the singer of pissing on her (among other things) the case was proved to be false and they made that song about her.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Gave BMTH a quick listen earlier, absolute tosh, they were on at Reading when I was there in 2008, and they were dreadful then - they now appear to sound like a bad 30STM, who themselves are very bad 

They used to just shout...now they just mime as they can't actually sing. For a band that just screams, singing isn't needed, one of the most talent-less things you can come across in music......even half the djs that just pressed play at least mixed it 1st.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They used to just shout...now they just mime as they can't actually sing. For a band that just screams, singing isn't needed, one of the most talent-less things you can come across in music......even half the djs that just pressed play at least mixed it 1st.

Yeah it was very much just screaming at Reading when I saw them, but the kids seem to love them so you'll not get any dissenting voices from me as to their suitability to headline the stage 

3 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah it was very much just screaming at Reading when I saw them, but the kids seem to love them so you'll not get any dissenting voices from me as to their suitability to headline the stage 

Well for me, That's The Spirit was their best album by a mile....that's not to say I thought it was majorly good!....just that I could at least leave it on for more than 5 seconds.!

I understand the "Radio 1/something for the kids" line, but when it was Chase & Status, Skrillex, Rudimental playing there they just seemed to have a wider crossover appeal. They'd played the festival multiple times before, and the Other Stage regularly has electronic acts headline.

These lot just seem completely out-of-place at the top of the bill!

2 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

I understand the "Radio 1/something for the kids" line, but when it was Chase & Status, Skrillex, Rudimental playing there they just seemed to have a wider crossover appeal. They'd played the festival multiple times before, and the Other Stage regularly has electronic acts headline.

People said the same about metallica

14 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

12 minutes ago, chewsavedlatin said:

People said the same about metallica

They did, but Metallica who are massively bigger than BMTH who originally for the Other themselves. There is no comparison here, everyone knows Enter Sandman at least.

To be fair to BMTH they're currently shifting more tickets on their tour than the grand majority of Other stage headliners in the past

I think as R&L becomes increasingly pop-orientated you're going to see more crossover heavy acts appear at Glastonbury; bands of the Deftones and Mastodon variety would be a very welcome addition

Why is there so much talk about BMTH headlining the Other Stage/a band with metal roots playing so high up the Glasto line up? I don't remember there being much conversation around Enter Shikari headlining the John Peel Tent last year? 

I don't think they're gunna get a huge crowd but I don't believe they are gunna get a small one - I don't think i've ever seen a small crowd at the Other Stage aside from Twin Atlantic last year as they were on at the same time as Lionel Messi. 

BMTH are massive in comparison and totally deserve a shot. If you ask me, I don't think Glasto has ever had such a diverse Sunday night if the rumours/wish lists are anything to go by e.g. 

Coldplay - Pyramid

BMTH - Other

Earth, Wind and Fire - West Holts

and to me, that's the spirit of Glasto, having such an eclectic mix of acts, some of which are the biggest of their genre - not bad going. 

I personally really like BMTH and Coldplay and have seen them both so I'm interested in who else Glasto announce. If not, then I've finally got a Sunday night headliner to look forward. But I do think BMTH are big enough to headline. 

Edited by endswithMJ

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They did, but Metallica who are massively bigger than BMTH who originally for the Other themselves. There is no comparison here, everyone knows Enter Sandman at least.

Metallica are way to big for other. BMTH are touring arena's in this country and are getting played on Radio 1. If that doesn't make you big enough to headline the other stage, I don't know what does. It seems to be this perception of its just not the glasto crowd, a full stereotype that everyone with an interest in metal walks around in leather and corspepaint. If they headline, they'll go down a storm.

7 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

To be fair to BMTH they're currently shifting more tickets on their tour than the grand majority of Other stage headliners in the past

I think as R&L becomes increasingly pop-orientated you're going to see more crossover heavy acts appear at Glastonbury; bands of the Deftones and Mastodon variety would be a very welcome addition

Deftones have played before I think

13 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

Why is there so much talk about BMTH headlining the Other Stage/a band with metal roots playing so high up the Glasto line up? I don't remember there being much conversation around Enter Shikari headlining the John Peel Tent last year? 

I don't think they're gunna get a huge crowd but I don't believe they are gunna get a small one - I don't think i've ever seen a small crowd at the Other Stage aside from Twin Atlantic last year as they were on at the same time as Lionel Messi. 

BMTH are massive in comparison and totally deserve a shot. If you ask me, I don't think Glasto has ever had such a diverse Sunday night if the rumours/wish lists are anything to go by e.g. 

Coldplay - Pyramid

BMTH - Other

Earth, Wind and Fire - West Holts

and to me, that's the spirit of Glasto, having such an eclectic mix of acts, some of which are the biggest of their genre - not bad going. 

I personally really like BMTH and Coldplay and have seen them both so I'm interested in who else Glasto announce. If not, then I've finally got a Sunday night headliner to look forward. But I do think BMTH are big enough to headline. 

Was he doing keepy-uppies?!

Im looking forward to BMTH playing at Glastonbury.

Im loving the amount of people basing opinions on having seen them over 5 years ago, never having seen them, or not knowing them... and how their favourite (but to other people, equally shit or invisible) band is so much more deserving of the slot!

Heres an idea, if they are being bandied about for a very high slot and you havent heard of them, go and listen rather than think you are a barometer for quality music. If you do, and you then decide they are shit, fair enough.

3 minutes ago, mrf said:

Im looking forward to BMTH playing at Glastonbury.

Im loving the amount of people basing opinions on having seen them over 5 years ago, never having seen them, or not knowing them... and how their favourite (but to other people, equally shit or invisible) band is so much more deserving of the slot!

Heres an idea, if they are being bandied about for a very high slot and you havent heard of them, go and listen rather than think you are a barometer for quality music. If you do, and you then decide they are shit, fair enough.

Shhh, I enjoy seeing people's more important opinions on this matter.

I'm going to enjoy going crazy to the set, no doubt it will be stuffed with energy.

6 hours ago, Keithy said:

On what basis should it be The National, 3 years after their last album? You may not have heard of BMTH but 5 albums in, touring their current one, NME Award winners this week, massive amounts of airplay over the 12 months....they're doing something right......they're headlining because they've got appeal to the younger demographic that Glastonbury needs to attract. I strongly suspect this forum is massively out of step with a large section of the Glasto crowd on BMTH. You can be dismissive of the 'Radio 1 crowd' but they make up a large section of Glastonbury.

It does amuse me when people say they've never heard of a band or never listened to much of their music......and then go on to pass judgement on said band :lol:

I' roll been off and listened to them. I still think it should be The National (since they haven't actually played there since their last album came out).

ps I like lots of things on Radio 1

36 minutes ago, chewsavedlatin said:

Metallica are way to big for other. BMTH are touring arena's in this country and are getting played on Radio 1. If that doesn't make you big enough to headline the other stage, I don't know what does. It seems to be this perception of its just not the glasto crowd, a full stereotype that everyone with an interest in metal walks around in leather and corspepaint. If they headline, they'll go down a storm.

I'm not saying they aren't, in fact after they announced a 2nd 02 date after the 1st flew out I said you would struggle to argue it now.

And another thing to note from last night's gig, the crowd didn't seem to be filled with your stereotypical 'metal' types that you think would never turn up at Glastonbury. The vast majority looked like your typical teen /twenty-something. This forum is largely very 'Radio 6Music' whereas BMTH are very 'Radio 1' now. I kind of think of them as the MCR of today. 

It's clear they're attracting a very mainstream audience now, unlike in their early deathcore days (which I admit, is absolutely awful stuff)