Glastocam!

pauladam

On 5/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I don't just mean the pourers behind the counter though but a customer useable dispenser for contactless payments? 

Won’t somebody please think of the volunteers? 😬

54 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Other had a trim before starting and Park looks to have had a cut where it's going to be. 

But the rest they're letting grow! 

Yes, let transpiration do its work, the grass taking up the water and evaporating it through its leaves, then a good cut pre festival! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Come again?

Most of the bar staff are volunteers. Self-dispensing beer = less staff needed = less volunteer positions available. 

I would think 

5 minutes ago, tarw said:

Most of the bar staff are volunteers. Self-dispensing beer = less staff needed = less volunteer positions available. 

I would think 

Oh I see.

As I understand it Oxfam and the like provide a crew campsite, food and drink, hot showers, charging stations, a shuttle bus to Bristol. If you reduced all that, you could give a larger chunk to charity I would assume.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Oh I see.

As I understand it Oxfam and the like provide a crew campsite, food and drink, hot showers, charging stations, a shuttle bus to Bristol. If you reduced all that, you could give a larger chunk to charity I would assume.

I think it would be exactly the opposite. The donations to charity are largely through the festival paying the charities for providing stewards, ticket checkers etc. less stewards = less donations 

29 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think it would be exactly the opposite. The donations to charity are largely through the festival paying the charities for providing stewards, ticket checkers etc. less stewards = less donations 

The festival pays the charities for the workers? I thought the workers are paid with a festival ticket which they work off?

Why would the festival pay the charities anything for the workers if they're not passing that payment onto the volunteers?

I don't gerrit. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

22 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The festival pays the charities for the workers? I thought the workers are paid with a festival ticket which they work off?

Why would the festival pay the charities anything for the workers if they're not passing that payment onto the volunteers?

I don't gerrit.

That's correct. It's an arrangement that works on all sides - the festival gets the staff it needs (without having to directly recruit or manage them), the volunteers get a free ticket in exchange for ~24 hours of their time, and the charity gets a substantial donation in exchange for coordinating this.

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are the people serving drinks provided by charities though?

At Glastonbury, not always but mostly yes.

50 minutes ago, tarw said:

While that is the structure, I suspect that if there was substantially less volunteers needed then the festival would likely increase either the "per head" rate, or have a larger discretionary payment to top it up. At least for the core charity partners.

1 minute ago, incident said:

While that is the structure, I suspect that if there was substantially less volunteers needed then the festival would likely increase either the "per head" rate, or have a larger discretionary payment to top it up. At least for the core charity partners.

But shelter and WBC are the ones who would loose out and they are not core. I think that they have a different arrangement with the festival in that they’re not paid per person but they’d loose out massively if it went self-service

Re. WBC: the staffing model is that they've got a list of groups that provide volunteers.  As WBC is a union-owned organisation, they lean towards union groups, political/social campaigning groups and 'grass roots' organisations, e.g. local charities providing services to working class communities.  The groups request Glastonbury places around the beginning of the year, and WBC decide how many to give each group, according to their hierarchy - e.g. any group raising funds for a union which is currently on strike will go to the top of the list.

It's then up to each group to provide the volunteers it's promised, and WBC will pay approximately £8 to that group for every hour that each volunteer works.  WBC centrally will also be making some profit, and they've used that for various campaigns and projects, e.g. they were prominent in the campaign to legalise same-sex marriage in Ireland a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I don't gerrit. 

As I understand it, it's a contract between the charity and the festival. The contract says how much work needs to be done, the charity then charge the festival for that work. The charity needs to provide the staff to fulfill the contract, they choose to do this with volunteers gaining a ticket. The charity pays for the costs of recruiting, managing and feeding the volunteers but anything after that they get to keep as a donation to the charity. 

By giving the volunteers a free ticket the charities can essentially be cheaper than other companies for providing the same work, which is partly why they keep getting it. There are other reasons why they'd go with a charity over a business as well.

(It doesn't quite work like this for Glastonbury and Oxfam but it's the basic principle) 

7 minutes ago, Slimeyc said:

Lots of activities in the SE corner this weekend and another fence team just up from the Ford this evening despite the rain 

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1540.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

some familiar photos there from when i had to leave site to retrieve a bag from the woods 🙂

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

Haven’t the fields usually had a trim by now? They haven’t been mowed in months, I don’t think. 

Was on-site about 3 weeks ago, and the fields in front of el Pointio were getting a trim at the time. Maybe there's just one guy working their way around the site...... slowly....

1 hour ago, billum said:

Was on-site about 3 weeks ago, and the fields in front of el Pointio were getting a trim at the time. Maybe there's just one guy working their way around the site...... slowly....

... with a Flymo due to cost constraints.

• Upvote 1