Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I agree but just to note, I do struggle to see a different from the tour they are doing next month to a tour Foals are doing. You have an O2 Arena, Newcastle, BIC, Leeds, Manc Arena, LG, two nights Glasgow Hyro, I'll leave the Wales one's out. I agree it's a poor booking but if Reading drop that, when compared it isn't much different.

As Stocky says, Foals are on the up and a headline slot will give them a boost and increase the headliner pool, and they're a band that R&L goers currently love.

As a punter why care so much about the business side of festivals? Just accept them booking something fresh and good for the future of the band/festivals and leave FR to worry about lost money if tickets don't sell.

I agree but just to note, I do struggle to see a different from the tour they are doing 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

We get it - you don't like Foals

1 minute ago, stocky3000 said:

The difference is that Foals are a band on the way up, who will likely go onto bigger things

Stereophonics are very much a stale band on the way down 

They just happen to be crossing their trajectories in similiar size venues 

It's nothing to do with that, there are bands that aren't on the way up that still headline. Unless it is purely a reason/excuse etc, there is no defending that there isn't a difference. One has a bigger tour, played sub slots at fests this year and has sold out bigger venue's on this tour. I'm actually trying to be kind to Foals here but the only excuse here is, we like them.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎16‎:‎51‎:‎28, Will-2609 said:

Please stop saying "of all time ever". "Of all time" and "ever" both mean the same thing.

Ugh! That really is shit. I was dabbling with hitting up IOW. Would like to see Queen (even the current version) at least once, and if the GNR rumours proved true, it could be quite a good line-up, but this? Maybe Axl and co have sucked up all the money and this Friday is all they can afford, or perhaps they know they'll sell out with GNR so it doesn't matter what else they put on the line-up.

I'd love Stereophonics to play Glastonbury.  Pyramid sub or headling Other maybe, given the size of the venues they are currently playing. 

New album is good, last one was great. What can I say? If you don't like it, you can take it out of my face .

I wouldn't agree that Stereophonics are on their way down now. They had that moment years ago, now they have a solid fan base of people who enjoy the shit they churn out these days. The fans who don't enjoy their latter day output, are already long gone.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I agree but just to note, I do struggle to see a different from the tour they are doing 

It's nothing to do with that, there are bands that aren't on the way up that still headline. Unless it is purely a reason/excuse etc, there is no defending that there isn't a difference. One has a bigger tour, played sub slots at fests this year and has sold out bigger venue's on this tour. I'm actually trying to be kind to Foals here but the only excuse here is, we like them.

I only own two Foals albums and didn't care about them headlining until I saw them the other week and they were great.

You need to stop saying people only think they can headline because they like them. There are people predicting them to headline who don't like them, as well.

8 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:
Shit me I forgot that Queen and Adam Lambert were on the Sunday night.

Why are Stereophonics suddenly becoming a 'thing' again now? It was academies 12 months ago like every other band from that era. Now its IOW headliner and a 20,000 stadium gig in Cardiff. 

Nah they've done arenas for every album tour this century. Sure, there's the odd Academy tour every couple of albums to preview new songs and stuff but they always do a full arena tour as well. Surprised they've managed to get IOW headliner as well as an outdoor gig in Cardiff though.

8 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

So...

Glastonbury : Muse ,Adele ,Coldplay
IOW: Stereophonics/Faithless, GnR, Queen
Reading: Foals RHCP ????
T: Stone Roses, ?????, ????
V:????,????
Latitude : Gorillaz, Sigur Ros,????
Bestival: LCD Soundsytem, The XX, ????

Blankety blank

How does V still get away with only having 2 days of music? It's absolutely shocking value for money. Every other major festival has 3 nights, how haven't they had to add to that. It baffles me.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Nah they've done arenas for every album tour this century. Sure, there's the odd Academy tour every couple of albums to preview new songs and stuff but they always do a full arena tour as well. Surprised they've managed to get IOW headliner as well as an outdoor gig in Cardiff though.

Oops I'm going by a Bristol academy date they did, but that was a Radio X special it seems. 

Fair enough, still a v. dodgy headliner choice though. 

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

How does V still get away with only having 2 days of music? It's absolutely shocking value for money. Every other major festival has 3 nights, how haven't they had to add to that. It baffles me.

People go to get a good snapchat story, rather than for the music 

Edited by MattDavies__

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I only own two Foals albums and didn't care about them headlining until I saw them the other week and they were great.

You need to stop saying people only think they can headline because they like them. There are people predicting them to headline who don't like them, as well.

Why do I?, when reason for most saying for them to or predicting them to are silly.

This isn't to say Reading won't let it happen but it doesn't make it anymore a good booking compared is my point.

Edited by thewayiam

10 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

So...

Glastonbury : Muse ,Adele ,Coldplay
Reading: Foals RHCP ????
T: Stone Roses, ?????, ????
V:????,????

Blankety blank

Glastonbury: Muse, Adele, Coldplay
R&L: Foals, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Biffy Clyro
TITP: The Stone Roses, Calvin Harris/Florence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons
V: Avicii, ???
IOW: Stereophonics/Faithless, Queen & Adam Lambert, Guns n' Roses
Download: Rammstein, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden
Bestival: The xx, Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem
Latitude: Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Disclosure

No idea for that second V headliner. Maybe KOL if they're around, or maybe Biffy, with someone else headlining R&L (Stone Roses would be my next guess for there).

Actually The Stone Roses could headline V again.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why do I?, when reason for most saying for them to or predicting them to are silly.

There's no point discussing it with you, because we've all seen you won't accept anything other than your opinion on it. If it was so silly then 99% of people on here (including 100% of the sane, fully functioning ones) wouldn't be predicting it, and (if we assume Neil is correct) FR wouldn't have booked it.

Why you think you have a better grasp on things than the actual organisers and almost everybody discussing it I've no idea.

2 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

So...

Glastonbury : Fleetwood Mac,Adele ,Coldplay
Reading: Foals, RHCP, ?????
T: Stone Roses, Florence, Calvin Harris
V:????,???? Who Cares

Blankety blank

Cont....

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

There's no point discussing it with you, because we've all seen you won't accept anything other than your opinion on it. If it was so silly then 99% of people on here (including 100% of the sane, fully functioning ones) wouldn't be predicting it, and (if we assume Neil is correct) FR wouldn't have booked it.

Why you think you have a better grasp on things than the actual organisers and almost everybody discussing it I've no idea.

You know that most opinions on these boarda don't actually live with the majority off them. Get it correct what I said, I didn't say in this Neil was wrong/they defo won't etc, whatever you want to make up, I said they are no different in size of a header booking than Stereophonics and that doesn't come down to opinion. Bigger tour, more tickets sold, number 1 album, constant arena tours actually, those are the facts! which I am using, don't get confused with the opinion that you're using. The opinion is the quality of a booking they are which will always be own opinion due to different views.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You know that most opinions on these boarda don't actually live with the majority off them. Get it correct what I said, I didn't say in this Neil was wrong/they defo won't etc, whatever you want to make up, I said they are no different in size of a header booking than Stereophonics and that doesn't come down to opinion. Bigger tour, more tickets sold, number 1 album, constant arena tours actually, those are the facts! which I am using, don't get confused with the opinion that you're using. The opinion is the quality of a booking they are which will always be own opinion due to different views.

Well that first sentence makes no sense so I have no idea what it means.

I never said you said Neil's wrong. I said if we assume Neil's right you're saying Melvin's silly for booking them.