The Stone Roses

Matt42

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon smart has pretty much confirmed new material too on Twitter in the form of a reply to someone who said they'd love a tour but would kill for new material. He replied 'what If you get both?'

They definitely need new material, they've done the triumphant reunion, it'd be a bit shit to just do the same again. Blur have proven it is possible to come back with music that stands up to the legacy, hopefully the Roses can too.

I didn't expect you to be a fan tbh. It is always good on this forum when someone who posts regularly surprise you, by liking or disliking an act that you assume they would feel the opposite about.

The Stone Roses are the real fucking deal, no two ways about it. Fanbase might be full of Epsilon-minuses but their recorded output is unbeatable and The Heaton Park show was proof that they can still pull out a show-stopper. Say all you want about Manchester crowds having the best atmosphere, but to me it seems like The Roses +Pyramid is a winning combination.

The Roses are managed by Simon Moran who owns SJM concerts also owner of See tickets. They run V outright so if the Roses were doing that it would be announced today. See tickets run the Glastonbury ticket operation so will have good links. I'm confident they are doing Glastonbury but I think the reason for the change in fallow year in 2017 is because the Roses will close it. I remember an interview with Michael and Emily Eavis from a few years ago she was just a kid at the time. They were asked what song they would love to hear at the pyramid stage and they both said Love Spreads. They had split up at the time so looked unlikely if 2017 is Michael's final year as the figurehead I think that's how he'd like to end his final one before retirement.

Sorry but a lot of that is incorrect. Sjm have a joint venture with Metropolis Music in "Gigs and tours"  and seetickets manage the service on that site. Seetickets is owned by Vivendi

I think the Stone Roses manager is Conrad Murray but your right in the fact he works for / with sjm. 

There is also other promoters and booking agents involved.  And sjm are concert promoters first and foremost. 

The majority share holder in V is Live Nation in a joint venture with MCD along side the founders of the festival that includes Simon. 

Glastonbury pay seetickets for their service. They don't book bands through them nor does see promote concerts or festivals. They are a ticket retailer. 

Just thinking back to Gordon smart's tweets about how it'll be 'fair' for the fans or something...has anyone seen any ticket limits yet? I've been planning with people based on 4 but I wonder if the fairness factor is that it'll be 2? 

I'm assuming that was a reference to the "no pre-sales" line on the poster - something which I think is about time, it's gotten to be absolutely taking the piss recently, someone who wants a full chance at tickets might need to have a phone on O2, credit cards with Barclaycard and American Express, pay to join the bands fan club / web site, and probably other things I've missed.

What do you think Neil? Still of the thought they won't be doing it, personally I really hope they do as I can't fit anymore into June, Glastonbury would be special

word I've heard from woody who spoke with Reni last week is there's no Glasto.

At least, not yet. It's always possible that one of the acts Glasto is chasing as headliner might back away and they'll have a slot to fill with another band.

The Roses are managed by Simon Moran who owns SJM concerts also owner of See tickets.

SJM is correct, owning See Tickets is not.

SJM own gigsandtours.com, which is merely a different-branded front-end to the See Tickets system. See Tickets will do that for anyone who sells a lot of tickets thru them, they once offered to do it for efestivals (which I turned down for particular reasons).

They run V outright so if the Roses were doing that it would be announced today. See tickets run the Glastonbury ticket operation so will have good links. I'm confident they are doing Glastonbury but I think the reason for the change in fallow year in 2017 is because the Roses will close it. I remember an interview with Michael and Emily Eavis from a few years ago she was just a kid at the time. They were asked what song they would love to hear at the pyramid stage and they both said Love Spreads. They had split up at the time so looked unlikely if 2017 is Michael's final year as the figurehead I think that's how he'd like to end his final one before retirement.

SJM don't 'run V outright'. SJM are one of the smaller shareholders in V Fest.

I'm confident they're not doing Glasto, or at least, as yet there is nothing happening on that front.

I'm probably bias but it seems criminal to me if they don't end up headlining Glastonbury before they pack it in, even if it's 2017.

It would be such a for them and the fanbase

I guess it's possible they're one of the acts Michael has mentioned as being already sorted for 2017, tho if that's the case it seems to be being kept from the band at the moment.

The main problem is that the Roses are an occasional project now, which gets to mean they'll probably only be active for decent money, and there's likely to always be better money than glasto will be offering.

Yeah they dont seem like the sort of band who would have any particular affection for glastonbury. I'll be amazed if they play. 

I get the impression that there's a fondness there, but less fondness than they have for wonga.

Plus of course, given how ropey Brown's vocals can be, going on TV to the world could be their death.

I get the impression that there's a fondness there, but less fondness than they have for wonga.

Plus of course, given how ropey Brown's vocals can be, going on TV to the world could be their death.

the youtube footage of the coachella gig is unbearable. But add a belly full of booze to the mix and they become the greatest thing ever.

The bbc would have to flash up warnings before the gig, staggered throughout the evening.

Before the 6 o clock news "Commence drinking"

Before Strictly come dancing "5 pints warning"

Before 9 o clock news "10 pints warning"

Before the gig starts "Switch to pints of vodka GO GO GO!"

They weren't last time.

It'd be a crying shame if they never headlined Glastonbury.

it's possible that a reluctance to go on TV is putting Glasto off pursuing them.

As far as I'm aware there's no obligation for a headliner to be broadcast, tho I suspect Glasto wouldn't be keen to have one that wouldn't agree to be broadcast. As far as I can remember that would be a first, and being a major TV event is part of what keeps Glasto's profile so high.

Edited by eFestivals

it's possible that a reluctance to go on TV is putting Glasto off pursuing them.

As far as I'm aware there's no obligation for a headliner to be broadcast, tho I suspect Glasto wouldn't be keen to have one that wouldn't agree to be broadcast. As far as I can remember that would be a first, and being a major TV event is part of what keeps Glasto's profile so high.

I don't really understand the reluctance, Brown would regularly let his festival sets be broadcast by BBC - and they contained some absolutely butchered versions of Roses songs!

I don't really understand the reluctance, Brown would regularly let his festival sets be broadcast by BBC - and they contained some absolutely butchered versions of Roses songs!

yep, but that's just him damaging (if that's what it is) him, not the Roses.

It might just be, tho, that last time around they wanted to exploit themselves to the full, so didn't allow TV broadcasts so they could do their own DVD.

How have Stone Roses managed to stay such a popular band?

They are very popular with the students at the college I work at (age 16-18) and I found that quite strange to be honest.

Let's be fair, they only had one good album, a very good one but it is amazing how they've held this position in the UK musical landscape for 27 years off one very good album.

How have Stone Roses managed to stay such a popular band?

They are very popular with the students at the college I work at (age 16-18) and I found that quite strange to be honest.

Let's be fair, they only had one good album, a very good one but it is amazing how they've held this position in the UK musical landscape for 27 years off one very good album.

Its a great summer album. Think thats it. Also I Am the Resurrection is great to sing to when you're blotto drunk. Ticks all the boxes.

Edited by The Nal