Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Unimpressed by this. Not only is the guy a dick but I happen not to like his music either so I shall be elsewhere.

Just looked at the Glastonbury facebook comments for this - Could not find one single positive response to this announcement. Think they got this one wrong.

Facebook is probably the last place you should look for reasonable and logcal comments. I'd bet the majority of comments on that page are by people who aren't going (and probably never would go) to Glasto.

Edited by mrtourette

so then, this Kanye show...

i watched Jay Z, and Beyonce, for what it's worth, and the talk before their sets included whether they would have many special guests. Jay didn't. he had a live band/dj/hype man at times but no 'names'.

Beyonce, well there was Tricky. less said about that the better. But also it seemed, ridiculously, like she was almost expected to have Jay perform with her. as it turns out she did Crazy In Love first tune, and hubby stayed off stage.

which gets me to my point - i think there won't be much in the way of guests for Kanye. this is a Big Gig, like it was for Jay and Bey, and to be able to nail it without dragging on old bones McCartney or Rihanna or whatever must appeal to the ego.

leave all that shit to the Foo Fighters, i say.

what say you?

so then, this Kanye show...

i watched Jay Z, and Beyonce, for what it's worth, and the talk before their sets included whether they would have many special guests. Jay didn't. he had a live band/dj/hype man at times but no 'names'.

Beyonce, well there was Tricky. less said about that the better. But also it seemed, ridiculously, like she was almost expected to have Jay perform with her. as it turns out she did Crazy In Love first tune, and hubby stayed off stage.

which gets me to my point - i think there won't be much in the way of guests for Kanye. this is a Big Gig, like it was for Jay and Bey, and to be able to nail it without dragging on old bones McCartney or Rihanna or whatever must appeal to the ego.

leave all that shit to the Foo Fighters, i say.

what say you?

it's a good point that has definitely crossed my mind. i think he'll at least have a couple of lesser recognised guests (Big Sean, maybe some grime MCs) but the Rihanna and McCartney appearances are more wishful thinking than anything else (and i only put forth Rihanna as she's apparently touring with him at the time anyway, otherwise i'd say there's no chance)

Kanye is the exact kind of headliner I hope for. Someone who I have albums from and has a few tunes that I really like (plus I loved the My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy album), but also someone that I don't think I'd ever go our of my way to see on there own gig. So I'm really pleased for this one. I understand some people won't be happy, but suck it up. There's a wealth of other acts you can see, and Glastonbury shouldn't just cater to a select group. The festival can't seemingly win, when they book certain classic older artists (Bruce/ Neil Young for example), they get accused of being out of touch, when they book current artists who are both popular and talented then get accused of going for an easy and populist option.

Ah well. You can't please everyone. I just wish it didn't end up in embarrassing petitions.

• Upvote 1

The reaction online outside of this forum has been ridiculous. People saying its the end of the festival as we know it, its all Emilys fault. My favourite being from one woman who has never been saying Kanye and his mob will destroy the vibe of the festival, how do you know if you've never been you fucking dimwit ! People on facebook are making out like theres going to be a crowd full of angry white folk with pitchforks, torches and bottles of piss awaiting Kanye when he walks out on stage, FFS people get a grip.

I for one hope loads of people throw they're tickets back into the pot over this, if all it takes is one act they don't like headlining one night they don't deserve a ticket. If im lucky enough in the resale I'll be gurning my face off elsewhere on the Saturday without a care in the world for what's unfolding on the pyramid.

Im actually glad he's playing. Im chuffed to bits for my brother, he's always wanted to see Kanye headline Glastonbury so that's another one off his Glasto bucket list.

• Upvote 1

The reaction online outside of this forum has been ridiculous. People saying its the end of the festival as we know it, its all Emilys fault. My favourite being from one woman who has never been saying Kanye and his mob will destroy the vibe of the festival, how do you know if you've never been you fucking dimwit ! People on facebook are making out like theres going to be a crowd full of angry white folk with pitchforks, torches and bottles of piss awaiting Kanye when he walks out on stage, FFS people get a grip.

I for one hope loads of people throw they're tickets back into the pot over this, if all it takes is one act they don't like headlining one night they don't deserve a ticket. If im lucky enough in the resale I'll be gurning my face off elsewhere on the Saturday without a care in the world for what's unfolding on the pyramid.

Im actually glad he's playing. Im chuffed to bits for my brother, he's always wanted to see Kanye headline Glastonbury so that's another one off his Glasto bucket list.

That's ridiculous. The people waiting to watch him will be white too.

i've actually seen one of the people who i went with last year say that him and his friends are gonna be at the front of the Pyramid with bottles of piss ready to throw. 'he's a dickhead, so let's throw piss at him'. the irony is just fantastic

Exactly,

Our group response was unanimous... "well we know where to avoid that night"

Throwing a bottle of piss at him....? Keyboard warriors / bellends.

I'm hoping for SFA at the Park that night

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Ha, I completely forgot about her bringing Tricky on the stage, I've got so much respect for her for doing that. Why was he there, though? Literally did nothing at all.

i think he was there to lend a bit of Bristolian credability to a largely pop set. though i've heard him interviewd about it since and i don't think he was any wiser than the rest of us. he claimed one minute he was back stage smoking a spliff, then his call came to get on stage and there he was, stoned as fuck, dancing creepily with Beyonce before a world wide audience of millions.

but hey, we've all been there.

i think he was there to lend a bit of Bristolian credability to a largely pop set. though i've heard him interviewd about it since and i don't think he was any wiser than the rest of us. he claimed one minute he was back stage smoking a spliff, then his call came to get on stage and there he was, stoned as fuck, dancing creepily with Beyonce before a world wide audience of millions.

but hey, we've all been there.

Aw, I had assumed Beyonce really liked Tricky, now it turns out she doesn't really know who he is, and vice versa

Sadly I missed tickets this year and won't be able to go now anyway.

If I WAS going I wouldn't be anywhere near Pyramid on Saturday. But then I didn't bother with Metallica last year either. I didn't sign no petition about it neither! This kind of shight is important in a smaller, lesser festival at Glasto there is so much choice there will still be a clash to choose over Park/W Holts/Other/Avalon/Acoustic and probably stuff elsewhere, then there's the comedy or the circus or just early into the naughty corner or t' rabbit hole or or or...

Still wish I was going...

Orangutan+-+001.jpg

Ook.