Kanye west confirmed

mike99

3 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

The interesting thing about Travis is ASTROWORLD was absolutely heads and shoulders above the rest of his work. It’s unfair to say he wasn’t popular beforehand though, his previous work and the sound in general were massive in the US before. I also saw the album toured and it was on par with Glow In The Dark, WTT and above Glastonbury.

I disagree that the album ranks with TLOP because it has far more creative production (despite both being Mike Dean’s work) and has a totally new sound. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a massive Kanye fan and have been since his production on the Blueprint, but other artists are inching closer to his top spot.

Each to their own though, music means different things to different people.

I’m not talking about popularity here.

Astroworld is the one record that really made heads turn. I think it’s fairly patchy but with incredible highs - like TLOP, but I think the production is better on Pablo, personally. His prior work similarly consisted of standout moments buried among boring stuff, albeit more slapshod with the highs not as large.

In a case of quality, he’s not close to being in the same league as Kanye yet. Maybe one day when he’s refined his quality control.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m not talking about popularity here.

Astroworld is the one record that really made heads turn. I think it’s fairly patchy but with incredible highs - like TLOP, but I think the production is better on Pablo, personally. His prior work similarly consisted of standout moments buried among boring stuff, albeit more slapshod with the highs not as large.

In a case of quality, he’s not close to being in the same league as Kanye yet. Maybe one day when he’s refined his quality control.

I would agree with the quality control - I can’t stand the repetition if ‘it’s lit’ and a lot of the lyrics with Travis. You’re right that a lot of his back catalogue is boring also! 

I would love an album as solid as Pablo again, but every record since seems distracted. If we can get the ‘golden thread’ that ties the old albums together (to a degree, consistency, production, song/album length and vocal style) then he has the potential to make a legendary album again.

I have a lot of thoughts about his recent behaviour but with Kanye you don’t know what is for show and what is real.

The James corden video was a bit disturbing to me. When all of his Sunday service crew were singing to him he was sat there with this strange smile on his face.

I feel with JIK he’s not made the album to praise god - but to try and signal that he believes he is sent BY God. His alleged shift in focus to religious theming isn’t convincing at all - it seems to be more about him than ever before.

I am concerned he has became totally swallowed up by his mental health. He’s showing behaviours of a cult leader now. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

He's a deeply vile human being. I cannot understand why his behaviour is tolerated more than others would be in that position. 

Edited by danbailey80

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, danbailey80 said:

He's a deeply vile human being. I cannot understand why his behaviour is tolerated more than others would be in that position. 

I was having a chat with my friend about Kanye. She loves him. I mentioned all the reasons I thought he seemed like a bit of a dick. The things she was coming out with to justify it were quite amazing...

9 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Do people really think this is Kanye for good now lol? He obviously ain't making Christian/Gospel music forever.

Nah. Even if the devout christian thing sticks, he's obviously at a very 'all or nothing' point of it right now which will mellow out over time, and although we might not ever get the Kanye of old back, I'm sure there will be music released somewhere along the way that resembles his pre-faith stuff a little more (maybe when people stop buying/caring about his Jesus stuff as the novelty has worn off).

And if not, well then it was a hell of a ride whilst it lasted.

It’s not even like this thing has been going on for that long. Ye only came out a year and a half ago.

It’s just the current Kanye gimmick. This time next year people will look back and laugh at the suggestion that this is him artistically forever.

Just to be clear - not calling his faith a gimmick, just his claims that he will only make Christian music from now on.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It’s not even like this thing has been going on for that long. Ye only came out a year and a half ago.

It’s just the current Kanye gimmick. This time next year people will look back and laugh at the suggestion that this is him artistically forever.

Just to be clear - not calling his faith a gimmick, just his claims that he will only make Christian music from now on.

Faith isn’t a gimmick but what he does with his faith is a gimmick. 

He does strike me as someone who can’t casually enjoy something. It must consume his life and those around him. I understand that’s often the mind of an artist.

I genuinely think he will continue down this path - the next “gimmick” will be taking this religious route even further. His Sunday sessions aren’t randomly going to stop.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Faith isn’t a gimmick but what he does with his faith is a gimmick. 

You've just reworded what I said.

I think it's the same as assuming that him being all in on Trump in 2018 was gonna last forever. Obviously he still talks about it occasionally here and there, but Kanye has been through so many eras I can't see why suddenly this devout Christian thing is more likely to stick than anything else he's associated himself with.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You've just reworded what I said.

I think it's the same as assuming that him being all in on Trump in 2018 was gonna last forever. Obviously he still talks about it occasionally here and there, but Kanye has been through so many eras I can't see why suddenly this devout Christian thing is more likely to stick than anything else he's associated himself with.

Trump stuff will re-emerge with this election I reckon. I don’t think the trump stuff really went away at all.

7 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Perhaps because he's actually finding genuine happiness with this venture, and it's helping with a lot of his long-term issues. I'm not sure what the other 'eras' are but it's clearly a lot different than wearing shutter shades or a polo.