Album of the year?

Dog Burger

Strange things afoot with the Charli XCX record. Released in the US on the 15th Dec, not in the UK until mid-Feb. That's not going to encourage anyone in the UK to nick it from the internet at all, then.

It's bound to be wonderful, of course. Hopefully a return to Glasto for her next year.

The more I think about, yeah, it's been another cracker of a year for music.

That's the thing though, bit of hunting around and there's so much fucking great music out there, loads i"ll never even get the chance to listen to once, yet alone all the good stuff that I don't get to listen enough. Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast.

Man, it's fucking wonderful, every year is a vintage year for music.

• Upvote 1

That's the thing though, bit of hunting around and there's so much fucking great music out there, loads i"ll never even get the chance to listen to once, yet alone all the good stuff that I don't get to listen enough. Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast.

I'd give you 10 up votes for this Mardy. Sometimes when I'm totally on one I'll think about all the music I've still not gotten into yet and it depresses the shite out of me. Like when I hear a great album by someone who's been going for ages, I'll be dead annoyed that I wasn't into them and enjoying their stuff from the start.

I'd give you 10 up votes for this Mardy. Sometimes when I'm totally on one I'll think about all the music I've still not gotten into yet and it depresses the shite out of me. Like when I hear a great album by someone who's been going for ages, I'll be dead annoyed that I wasn't into them and enjoying their stuff from the start.

Listening to the radio/postcasts and reading websites/blogs always makes me so frustrated at how little time there is in the day, so much music to mainline!

why the hell haven't i done this yet? right...

1. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace There Is (i can't remember who on this forum informed me of this band, but whoever it was, thank you so much)

2. The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

3. Run The Jewels - RTJ2

4. Tinashe - Aquarius

5. Alvvays - Alvvays

6. Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

7. Hundred Waters - The Moon Rang Like A Bell

8. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal

9. St. Vincent - St. Vincent

10. Mr Twin Sister - Mr Twin Sister

honourable mention to:

The Antlers - Familiars

Ariana Grande - My Everything

Big K.R.I.T. - Cadillactica

Caribou - Our Love

Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown

FKA twigs - LP1

Grouper - Ruins

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

The Horrors - Luminous

Merchandise - After The End

Perfume Genius - Too Bright

Real Estate - Atlas

Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Taking Back Sunday - Happiness Is

Taylor Swift - 1989

Todd Terje - It's Album Time

Wild Beast - Present Tense

YG - My Krazy Life

Young Fathers - Dead

was a damn good year for music! as always, it was the stuff i had no previous expectations / idea about that got my attention the most. probably forgotten a whole bunch

Edited by FloorFiller

ah i had a feeling it wasn't this year! silly me

If you're after a Los Camp release from this year to sink your teeth into (and a seasonal one to boot!) then I would point you in the direction of their new Christmas EP! It's both daft and joyous in equal and generous measure. Postie delivered it today, on snow white vinyl, along with a suitably twee signed Christmas card. V excited to see them in Manchester tomorrow!

I downloaded that mac demarco album last night, cos I'd seen it in a couple of album of the year lists. It's not very good, is it?

One of my favourites. It's nothing spectacular, I just love the effortlessly lazy, downbeat 'can't really be arsed' vibe. Great for when I'm on a bus going somewhere I don't want to be.

A few albums that I've felt that way about recently though, after seeing them on the lists; the Grouper, Hotelier and Angel Olsen albums were my latest underwhelming listens. I want to give Benji by Sun Kil Moon another go, because it sounds like it should be right up my street, but I found it really boring first time, although interesting lyrically.

Not particularly hip, but I'm enjoying the new Bryan Ferry album. Honeyblood on now...it's alright, probably won't bother again. I don't know, maybe I'm just listening to too much music, a lot of it doesn't stick. At first I thought it had been a really great year, but in retrospect a lot of the albums I really enjoyed at first aren't really holding up for me so much now I'm going back to them (St Vincent, Tune-Yards, Beck, and Tinashe all come to mind.)

There are about 10 I really, really like though. Got rid of the list a few pages ago because I needed to go back and listen to them all again. Hardly changed it at all. Probably won't get round to listening to all of the other probably great stuff I've made a list of, so:

1. The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

2. Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens - Cold World

3. The Antlers - Familiars

4. Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

5. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Give The People What They Want

6. Alvvays - Alvvays

7. FKA twigs - LP1

8. People Get Ready - Physiques

9. Owen Pallett - In Conflict

10. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days

The War on Drugs album is great as is, Pixies, Temples, Coves to name a few. The best for me though and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet is Ty Segall's, Manipulator. I have played it and played and just think its a brilliant album and definitely one that I can't recommend highly enough. Saw him last month in Manchester and he was just having it. Would be brilliant if he could be included on the Glastonbury line up this year. However I don't currently have a ticket.

• Upvote 1

The War on Drugs album is great as is, Pixies, Temples, Coves to name a few. The best for me though and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet is Ty Segall's, Manipulator. I have played it and played and just think its a brilliant album and definitely one that I can't recommend highly enough. Saw him last month in Manchester and he was just having it. Would be brilliant if he could be included on the Glastonbury line up this year. However I don't currently have a ticket.

fucking hell another album i've forgotten about. i don't have nearly enough time to keep up with all these album releases. my life was so much easier when i thought Linkin Park were great and bought Kerrang! every week

Tv on the Radio's new album 'Seeds' is very good. I wouldn't say it's an album of the year contender just yet for me, but well worth a listen or two.

i've got no desire to go back to it after a few listens tbh. pretty disappointing. will no doubt go back to it in a couple of months and it'll seem a lot better than i remember

i've got no desire to go back to it after a few listens tbh. pretty disappointing. will no doubt go back to it in a couple of months and it'll seem a lot better than i remember

It's taken me several listens to really get into it. At first I was underwhelmed & disappointed. It's certainly a grower not a shower

people are seriously blowing loads of st vincent. really should give it a listen.

both parquet courts albums this year are excellent. best song on the first one is probably the title track:

Instant Disassembly

also, shit i keep forgetting to listen to their new one!

Edited by FloorFiller

I always get slightly depressed when I read everyone's end of year lists. So many (potentially) great albums, which I've missed. It's impossible to keep track. I've got a spotify playlist with albums from this year and it's 53 hours long - horrifying but brilliant at the same time.