Album of the year?

Dog Burger

I need to give this album another go, I think. Talk like the bit in bold was what drew me to it in the first place (I'm not a big hip-hop guy, really), but when I listened to it I struggled to get past the usual misogynistic language being thrown about. I get that using that kind of thing doesn't mean advocating those ideas, and that by *most* accounts RTJ do a pretty good job of subverting those hip-hop stereotypes, but on surface listening it was pretty uncomfortable, and so I never really gave it a proper chance. This probably applies to a lot oh hip-hop, in fairness, but it's difficult to take it in the intended context, not being particularly familiar with the genre.

It's definitely an uncomfotable listen, but the thing I like about it most is that it's that ambitious and difficult. It's an album that they want you to listen to all the way through, changing your perception of every song as you go. Love Again is probably the most obvious example, in the way that Gangsta Boo's verse at the end recontextualises what's gone before. Although apparently her verse was omitted from some physical copes, which seems bizarre as the song doesn't work without it.

Underneath all the sound and the fury it's got a strong anti-oppression, anti-privilege edge to it, but it also wants you to put effort into getting that. Which I can understand some people finding annoying, but there's not many people making music that challenging, especially in hip hop.

It may not be as ground breaking as RTJ2 but Pinata has all the style of the types of hip hop albums I love. Also for me, Madlib's beats cant be beaten.

That's fair enough, it all comes down to preference. Madlib is a great producer so if you prefer his work to El-P's then you're going to prefer Pinata. I still think Madlib will have a hard time ever coming up with anything as good or as original as his work on Madvillainy, whereas El-P seems to be at his absolute peak on RTJ2.

Edited by Winslow Leach

I haven't listened to as many as I normally do but the ones I have enjoyed that I have done:

1)DFA 1979 - The Physical World

2)Antemasque

3)Royal Blood

4)Jack White - Lazaretto

5)Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxea

6)Ben Howard - I forget Where we were

7)Warpaint

8)Robert Plant - Lullaby... and the ceaseless roar

Rolling Stones top 10

1. U2 - Songs of Innocence
2. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
3. The Black Keys - Turn Blue
4. St Vincent - St Vincent
5. Miranda Lambert - Platinum
6. Charli XCX - SUCKER
7. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
8. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
9. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
10. Taylor Swift - 1989

Rolling Stones top 10

1. U2 - Songs of Innocence

2. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

3. The Black Keys - Turn Blue

4. St Vincent - St Vincent

5. Miranda Lambert - Platinum

6. Charli XCX - SUCKER

7. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

8. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

9. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days

10. Taylor Swift - 1989

Scandalous. Just read their review of U2's album:

"This is a record full of the band's stories and triumph, memory and confession detonated with adventure and poise. In its range of sounds, there may be no more complete U2 album"

and

"Songs of Innocence is the proof – and the emotionally raw rock album of the year, at any price."

I want a honk on their crack pipe.

Scandalous. Just read their review of U2's album:

"This is a record full of the band's stories and triumph, memory and confession detonated with adventure and poise. In its range of sounds, there may be no more complete U2 album"

and

"Songs of Innocence is the proof – and the emotionally raw rock album of the year, at any price."

I want a honk on their crack pipe.

Rolling Stone need to shift focus again like they did in the 90s or they risk becoming dinosaurs.

Edited by The Nal

I'd say that point's been and gone. Some of their political reporting is on point, but music-wise it's a laughing stock.

Bang on. I love reading it for their news features; we don't have anything, certainly within our music press, over here that gets near that level of news reporting and depth. However, as a music mag - and surely that should be their main focus - it's woeful.

Any decent music has started doing its annual poll of polls of albums of the year.

ADM is such a good sitee for stuff you might have missed, pretty much the only thing I look at for releases/reviews etc

http://www.anydecentmusic.com

The Quietus albums of the year is also up, always a fabulous read, just to understand how much music there is that I've never even fucking heard of.

Late call from me for Ultimate Painting. Lovig this album. It's one of Veronica Falls and someone from another band (I should be a fucking music journalist, eh?)

Anyway, it's great. Really enjoying it. Sublime fey indie wishy-washy nonsense. Just my bag. Shove yer AC/DC.

The album 'more than any other day' by ought is awesome, one of the year's best. finally a new talking heads.

I agree! Best debut of the year for me, I'd love to see those tracks live, it sounds like the kind of thing that'd be a life-affirming experience. The title track and The Weather Song both conjure up mental images of total elation.