Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

A new Shangri-La venue called Brainwash have been tweeting what music they'll be playing each night, and on Friday it's live hardware electro. Sounds like it could be your thing!

That sounds cock-on, Winslow!

I might cruise Dr Google and see if I can find out anything about them.

Now, if that's deep in Shangri-La, is it likely to be a venue where there's a queue a lot of the time? I've discussed it before and been greeted with the entirely reasonable response of 'if you see a queue, move on and go somewhere else'. Whilst this is pragmatic and sensible, is anyone else a bit annoyed at the idea that, at a festival, you can't pretty much just wander in and out of wherever you want?

There have been tales on here of people queueing for quite a while, getting in, needing a wee so going out for said same, and having to queue again to get back in!

I know GF is massive. I know that the SE Corner has become almost somewhere that some people go in order to not to be that guy who 'wasn't there last night? It was EPIC, Man...!', but I am so used to just bombing in anywhere at a festival and staying for 5 minutes or five hours depending on whether it was doing it for me.

Harrumph.

Ben

That sounds cock-on, Winslow!

I might cruise Dr Google and see if I can find out anything about them.

Now, if that's deep in Shangri-La, is it likely to be a venue where there's a queue a lot of the time? I've discussed it before and been greeted with the entirely reasonable response of 'if you see a queue, move on and go somewhere else'. Whilst this is pragmatic and sensible, is anyone else a bit annoyed at the idea that, at a festival, you can't pretty much just wander in and out of wherever you want?

There have been tales on here of people queueing for quite a while, getting in, needing a wee so going out for said same, and having to queue again to get back in!

I know GF is massive. I know that the SE Corner has become almost somewhere that some people go in order to not to be that guy who 'wasn't there last night? It was EPIC, Man...!', but I am so used to just bombing in anywhere at a festival and staying for 5 minutes or five hours depending on whether it was doing it for me.

Harrumph.

Ben

I did Shangri-La on the Thursday last year so hardly queued much (I did leave a venue to go to the toilet and had to re-queue, but that was my own fault for not realising there was a stamp system in place like you get in some clubs). The other nights I did wander through, but mainly stuck to Block 9, The Common and the Unfairground.

Having said that, Shangri-La were taking feedback about last year on their facebook page a while ago and seemed to be agreeing that there was too much queueing and not enough places you could just wander in and out of, so they may do something about that. i guess we won't really know until we're there.

My advice would be to play it by ear. If there's a small queue, you might as well check it out. If it looks swamped, just wander on, you'll probably find something else.

I did Shangri-La on the Thursday last year so hardly queued much (I did leave a venue to go to the toilet and had to re-queue, but that was my own fault for not realising there was a stamp system in place like you get in some clubs). The other nights I did wander through, but mainly stuck to Block 9, The Common and the Unfairground.

Having said that, Shangri-La were taking feedback about last year on their facebook page a while ago and seemed to be agreeing that there was too much queueing and not enough places you could just wander in and out of, so they may do something about that. i guess we won't really know until we're there.

My advice would be to play it by ear. If there's a small queue, you might as well check it out. If it looks swamped, just wander on, you'll probably find something else.

Sage advice, young Winslow.

Your wisdom belies your years*

* I'm making a massive assumption that you're a lot younger than me!**

Ben

**I can still keep up with you kids, mind...

Well...

I like minimalist stuff. Techno, breakbeats, bleepy, squelchy, vocal-free/minimal vocal. Quite like some looping stuff (saw a great set by The Field last year). Not averse to a bit of euphoric, Ibiza like stuff, just as long as its not too 'obvious'. I hate dance music that becomes an 'anthem' and people fucking sing to it. Yes, I'm a music snob and elitist. You got me.

For me its about getting into the beats, the bass, a bit trancy.

Just can't get on with anything that doesn't give a decent bpm and make me dance. Grime? Shagging music. Dubstep? How the fuck does anyone dance to dubstep? Answer, they don't. They just sway from side to side slowly! I hate cheese, and really populist, lowest common denominator stuff that has no thought to it. Just chucked together in a formula stuff.

Saw the 2 Bears at Green Man last year and it was all a bit...meh.

I like acid too - being in my formative years for the second summer of love, but too straight and conscientious a student to be a raver! Excited about seeing Phuture do an old school set. I love some well known stuff too, when it's good - so the best Jon Hopkins, Caribou etc is fantastic. Also like analog synth stuff - I'm a huge fan of Luke Abbott and gutted he's not going to be there (personal communication.. :( )

Also like some dark stuff - would love to see The Haxan Cloak there...

Hope that gives a (garbled, incoherent) idea of what I'm after!

Ben

Check out Neil Landstrumm - Brown by August (Album name) there are quite a few minimal techno with squelchy wobbly bits in classics there :-)

Check out Neil Landstrumm - Brown by August (Album name) there are quite a few minimal techno with squelchy wobbly bits in classics there :-)

Just listened to Home Delivery from that album.

Bugger me, morph, that is right up my street!

Is he playing?!

I can see myself on this thread A LOT in the next 8 weeks...

Ben

Just listened to Home Delivery from that album.

Bugger me, morph, that is right up my street!

Is he playing?!

I can see myself on this thread A LOT in the next 8 weeks...

Ben

Yep he's playing the temple I think, try Tension in New York or Tension in NY, need the bass turned up to 11 for it though :-)

im getting very excited about going to see Ben UFO and Gerd Janson play together in Leeds on Sunday.

looking forward to the full dj line ups coming out, hopefully shortly.

I'm at Dixon, Axel Boman and Midland during the day then I'll be heading to this in evening, gonna be a big one!

Last year someone posted on here about Parov Stellar. Thought his stuff sounded awesome but ended up missing him/them due to a horrible clash. I really like the idea of dancing to some Electro Swing at Glastonbury this year.

Got to admit, that while what I've heard sounds awesome, its not a genre I know that much about. Anybody got any recommendations and is there any body likely to play I should be checking out?