Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

So spoilt to have Celtronic in my home town. Lineups and the crowd/atmosphere are always top notch. And us Derry wans are the biggest partiers about!

Lineup for Celtronic just got even better... Let's hope this fella pops up at Glasto.

His album Flatland was a real highlight of last year I think:

11156125_821541124603163_134428181335561

Yeah Bicep will be class.

Going to commit myself to some proper raving this year.

Left it til the early hours nearly every night last year.

Earlier starts this time around

My policy at festivals is usually non-dance music in the day, dance at night, but there's so much great dance music at Glastonbury this year I'm not sure how my feet will cope.

My policy at festivals is usually non-dance music in the day, dance at night, but there's so much great dance music at Glastonbury this year I'm not sure how my feet will cope.

Yeah I'm the same.

I try to ease myself up to maximum speed throughout the day so I'm ready to stay up all night, but the temptations to go full throttle earlier are everywhere.

I definitely want to take in a couple of DJ sets in bars like The Stonebridge (is that right?) this year, as well as the Beat Hotel and elsewhere.

And I want to see all of Block 9, although it can get pretty hectic in there and most people, including me, look pretty scary at 6am!

Yeah I'm the same.

I try to ease myself up to maximum speed throughout the day so I'm ready to stay up all night, but the temptations to go full throttle earlier are everywhere.

I definitely want to take in a couple of DJ sets in bars like The Stonebridge (is that right?) this year, as well as the Beat Hotel and elsewhere.

And I want to see all of Block 9, although it can get pretty hectic in there and most people, including me, look pretty scary at 6am!

My model exactly, chaps.

Bands, bands bands until the main stages close, then off in search of some loud, dark, heavy dance stuff for hours and hours at night. Bed around 5-6am. Brief sleep. Repeat 3-4 times. Go home. Collapse.

Ben

My model exactly, chaps.

Bands, bands bands until the main stages close, then off in search of some loud, dark, heavy dance stuff for hours and hours at night. Bed around 5-6am. Brief sleep. Repeat 3-4 times. Go home. Collapse.

Ben

Going against this model was probably the start of my downfall in 2007.

We saw !!! (who were top notch) early on the Friday and that was it, we went at it flat out from then til we all collapsed in a bad state sometime on the Saturday morning.

I never fully recovered due to over-consumption and when the monsoon came on Sunday that was the end of any real chance of enjoyment.

That Sunday night and Monday morning/afternoon was the stuff of nightmares.

Edit: Just to put less of a miserable tone to this post, I advise anyone who hasn't done so to check out Shlohmo's new album 'Dark Red'

Edited by Space Shanty

Going against this model was probably the start of my downfall in 2007.

We saw !!! (who were top notch) early on the Friday and that was it, we went at it flat out from then til we all collapsed in a bad state sometime on the Saturday morning.

I never fully recovered due to over-consumption and when the monsoon came on Sunday that was the end of any real chance of enjoyment.

That Sunday night and Monday morning/afternoon was the stuff of nightmares.

Edit: Just to put less of a miserable tone to this post, I advise anyone who hasn't done so to check out Shlohmo's new album 'Dark Red'

Is Schlohmo playing GF, Space Shanty? Because I ONLY have capacity to listen to stuff that I want to familiarise myself with prior to the festival because there is SOOOOO much of it!!!

Ben

Yeah I'm the same.

We did the NYC Downlow on the Wednesday last year. It was much quieter that night. Never made it to the London Underground though, that's on my list for this year.

We also did Shangri-La on the Thursday. There's less open but it's a lot less rammed.

Is Schlohmo playing GF, Space Shanty? Because I ONLY have capacity to listen to stuff that I want to familiarise myself with prior to the festival because there is SOOOOO much of it!!!

Ben

Ah well I have no idea if he is or not... probably unlikely.

It's just one of a number of good electronic albums I've heard recently.

As per the previous 2 pages, if any of those DJs at the festival near me the week of Glasto pop up, good tunes are guaranteed.

In that case, check out Fort Romeau's new album 'Insides', Objekt's album 'Flatland' from last year, Clark's self-titled album and Recondite's last release 'Iffy'.

Edited by Space Shanty

We did the NYC Downlow on the Wednesday last year. It was much quieter that night. Never made it to the London Underground though, that's on my list for this year.

We also did Shangri-La on the Thursday. There's less open but it's a lot less rammed.

I need to spend more time in London Underground as well.

Saw L'il Louis at Genosys on the Friday night at about 3am and I was disappointed to be honest.

Got bored so wandered around for a while

Right chaps.

So, I like my dance music but, tend to focus on it mostly for the annual festival I attend - i.e. I don't listen to a lot outside of that environment as there are only so many hours in the day and I listen to so much non-dance mucis.

Given that, some tips, please for artists to listen to prior to GF, and possibly target seeing.

I am a long term Orbital fan. Am very much hoping that Paul will be there with 8.58. I like stuff like Luke Abbott (lots of analogue synths) and lots of old school techno. I like acid too, and am excited about Phuture playing. Not a dubstep/grime fan, really. I like minimalist, non-vocal, beaty, bassy stuff. Not a fan of cheese - for example, I find things like the 2 Bears a bit two-beat cheesy. I guess I am not a fan of stuff that gets very popular. BPM wise, I need it high enough to be able to bloody dance, so Ibiza rate stuff is good, even though I often find that a bit 'populist ravy'.

Right, after that garbled crap, who should I be checking out?

Ben

Ah well I have no idea if he is or not... probably unlikely.

It's just one of a number of good electronic albums I've heard recently.

As per the previous 2 pages, if any of those DJs at the festival near me the week before Glasto pop up, good tunes are guaranteed.

In that case, check out Fort Romeau's new album 'Insides', Objekt's album 'Flatland' from last year, Clark's self-titled album and Recondite's last release 'Iffy'.

You pre-empted my semi-amateur's request, SS!

Any other recs gratefully received - will check out the one's you've mentioned. I had a little dabble with Fort Romeau from an earlier mention. Need to do a bit more with him...

Ben

Let me have a quick amble through my iPod to see what I have on there:-

Caribou - all the albums

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic

Digitalism - Idealism

Evian Christ - Waterfall Ep / Kings and Them (although more hip hop than anything)

Floating Points

Fort Romeau

Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind, Pink & There is Love in You

Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx

Jacques Greene - loads of decent EP's out there

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Justice - Cross

Kavinsky - Outrun

Koreless - Yugen EP (not to dance to, but a terrific early morning commute soundtrack)

LCD Soundsystem - all the albums

Marquis Hawkes - Fifty Fathoms Deep EP

SD Laika - That's Harakiri

Sebastian - Total

Simian Mobile Disco - all the albums

I think a few of those work really well as a stand alone artist album which is rare in dance music, some not so much and just come across as collections of tracks.

• Upvote 1

You pre-empted my semi-amateur's request, SS!

Any other recs gratefully received - will check out the one's you've mentioned. I had a little dabble with Fort Romeau from an earlier mention. Need to do a bit more with him...

Ben

Again I'm pre-empting things here, but this is on in Ireland the week before Glasto and it has some electronic acts I'd also love to see added:

http://bodyandsoul.ie/bs2015-music/

Obviously Leftfield, but also Nightmares on Wax, Dan Deacon, Talaboman (never heard their stuff but John Talabot is superb), Shit Robot, Clark (again)... and a few others

And having seen SOHN last summer, I'd be delighted to see him on the farm.

Surely a few of these will pop up... quite possibly most of them

Let me have a quick amble through my iPod to see what I have on there:-

Caribou - all the albums

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic

Digitalism - Idealism

Evian Christ - Waterfall Ep / Kings and Them (although more hip hop than anything)

Floating Points

Fort Romeau

Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind, Pink & There is Love in You

Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx

Jacques Greene - loads of decent EP's out there

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Justice - Cross

Kavinsky - Outrun

Koreless - Yugen EP (not to dance to, but a terrific early morning commute soundtrack)

LCD Soundsystem - all the albums

Marquis Hawkes - Fifty Fathoms Deep EP

SD Laika - That's Harakiri

Sebastian - Total

Simian Mobile Disco - all the albums

I think a few of those work really well as a stand alone artist album which is rare in dance music, some not so much and just come across as collections of tracks.

Drone Logic is a nice bit of work.

Did Daniel Avery play anywhere over the weekend last year?

Right chaps.

So, I like my dance music but, tend to focus on it mostly for the annual festival I attend - i.e. I don't listen to a lot outside of that environment as there are only so many hours in the day and I listen to so much non-dance mucis.

Given that, some tips, please for artists to listen to prior to GF, and possibly target seeing.

I am a long term Orbital fan. Am very much hoping that Paul will be there with 8.58. I like stuff like Luke Abbott (lots of analogue synths) and lots of old school techno. I like acid too, and am excited about Phuture playing. Not a dubstep/grime fan, really. I like minimalist, non-vocal, beaty, bassy stuff. Not a fan of cheese - for example, I find things like the 2 Bears a bit two-beat cheesy. I guess I am not a fan of stuff that gets very popular. BPM wise, I need it high enough to be able to bloody dance, so Ibiza rate stuff is good, even though I often find that a bit 'populist ravy'.

Right, after that garbled crap, who should I be checking out?

Ben

You mean people who are at the festival or general recommendations?

Jon Hopkins for sure. You might already know him, I'm not sure, but this live video is well worth a watch Immunity and Insides are both terrific albums.

You mean people who are at the festival or general recommendations?

Jon Hopkins for sure. You might already know him, I'm not sure, but this live video is well worth a watch Immunity and Insides are both terrific albums.

Hi Winslow - no, I mean those pretty nailed on for playing the festival.

I'm an obsessive homeworker. I love to spend as much time as I can listening to stuff that I intend to see at a festival. Familiarity enhances the live experience for me manyfold.

So I'm looking for good steers for stuff that'll be there.

Yes, very fond of Jon Hopkins and fully intend to see him, same for Caribou. But they'll be on main stages, so it was more about trying to identify stuff I'd like in Shangri-La, The Glade, Silver Hayes etc.

I'd obviously prefer 'live' to DJ sets...

Thanks, mate - and to Space Shanty for the recs above, obvs.

Ben

@Bennyhana, not many DJs announced yet. Of those on the rumours I'd check out the Hessle Audio lot

Ben UFO https://soundcloud.com/fabric/ben-ufo-recorded-live-at-fabric-15th-birthday-weekend

I also think Midland will be there but don't hold me to it. Worth checking out

Hitting up some Hessle Audio at the moment.

Nice, bleepy, trancy, Yup, could do several hours to this at night.

I think I saw Ben UFO at Green Man last year (I saw a LOT of stuff...).

thanks, Tuna

Will probably ask for more guidance when the DJs are announced properly. It's just that, with so much on at GF, there is a LOT of stuff around at the mo that just doesn't do it for me. As I said, slower more dubsteppy, grimey stuff just leaves me cold. So it'd be nice to target a few DJs/producers every night that are likely to be doing the sort of stuff that I go for.

Ben