Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

29 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Yeh same. Friday is looking large. I say the same every year but will hopefully try and spend a bit of time in there this year. What's the sound like in WOW?

I think the only time I've spent in there was Four Tet and The Square over the past couple of years. I don't remember there being any sound issues at all.

2 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

I think the only time I've spent in there was Four Tet and The Square over the past couple of years. I don't remember there being any sound issues at all.

I've only ever got as far as the front door. Going to try and get in there properly this year.

37 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Just a thought, someone feel free to shoot it down if need be

I wonder if Henrik Schwarz is in WOW slightly earlier because he's playing a set on Arcadia later on, as i say, just a thought. 

That'd be sweet, Mez. Maybe Live in Wow! and mixing in the Spider?

I don't understand the Saturday - if the R&S is a daytime party, it only leaves 5 sets for the evening. Last year there were 9. Assuming that is the full Wow! line-up, I reckon the first half of the evening is R&S and then the individual acts flow from there, finishing with Joy O and Solar headlining.

So I'd say it's the Lobster Boys and Artwork doing the daytime parties.

Also - where does that leave Lucy to play? I guess it's The Blues? Surely not Pussy Parlure? That would be awful.

Finally - there is some real quality in Wow! right up to closing at 0300h. I think this is further evidence of the huge effort - alongside LBHQ in Glade etc - the festival is making to dilute volume in the SEC up to 0300h, which is when a lot of the 'tourist' punters give up if they haven't already.

Annoyingly, despite all of this loveliness, I still think I am likely to want to be in the SEC more than anywhere (unless you come through for me, Spider!) and so I'll still suffer from large crowds of people who go there sheep-like (well, that's where you go after Adele isn't it, darling?) just to mooch, whilst there will only be a proportionately smaller reduction in volume from the dance-monkeys who have chosen a set elsewhere (Glade, Beat, Wow! etc.)

Hmmm.

What does this all mean?

It means that I NEED THE COMMON AND ARCADIA AND FULL LINE UP DROPS ALREADY! I HAVE PLANNING TO DO, GLASTONBURY!!!

:blink:

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

That'd be sweet, Mez. Maybe Live in Wow! and mixing in the Spider?

I don't understand the Saturday - if the R&S is a daytime party, it only leaves 5 sets for the evening. Last year there were 9. Assuming that is the full Wow! line-up, I reckon the first half of the evening is R&S and then the individual acts flow from there, finishing with Joy O and Solar headlining.

So I'd say it's the Lobster Boys and Artwork doing the daytime parties.

those 9 got 1hr sets though, they're probably just giving longer sets this year as 1hr for a DJ is a nonsense really.

I'd imagine it's something like:

13:00-18:00: R&S

18:00-19:00 DJ Tennis

19:00-20:30 Leon Vynehall

20:30-22:30 Hunee & Antal

22:30-00:00 Job Jobse

00:00-03:00 Joy O b2b Solar

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

those 9 got 1hr sets though, they're probably just giving longer sets this year as 1hr for a DJ is a nonsense really.

I'd imagine it's something like:

13:00-18:00: R&S

18:00-19:00 DJ Tennis

19:00-20:30 Leon Vynehall

20:30-22:30 Hunee & Antal

22:30-00:00 Job Jobse

00:00-03:00 Joy O b2b Solar

The voice of reason.

Thanks, gd

Got to say that's a bit of a disappointing slot for me for Paranoid London. Enjoyed them so much last year and neither an afternoon party nor late afternoon in Glade is what I'd choose. They're all about the dark for me. With lasers. And sweatiness.

Ben

1 minute ago, EZYSEY said:

Shame Bicep (Live) and Jackmaster are on fairly early. Was hoping to catch them on the peak.

Jackmaster is playing several times across the weekend, says he. He's hosting his own Mastermix night at a stage TBA (probably Beat Hotel) 

i think its pretty smart them putting the likes of bicep and jamie jones on early say 7-8pm as they will obviously draw big crowds but plenty to clash with them band wise in the early evening so it won't be an absolute mess 30 deep outside the tent.

a lovely line up from WOW, as others have said they are really, really trying to take pressure off the SE corner.

I think they have purposely taken the house and techno completely out of shangri la in favour of some less flavour of the month sounds which is a decent idea to both give variety to those who want it and also keep the dance heads heading elsewhere.

I think these days it may be fruitful going to beat hotel & wow until 2.30am or so then heading to the corner after that.

• Upvote 3

Although I appreciate the promotors efforts I'm not sure if spreading around the big names will be enough to alleviate the crowds in the SE corner. I know you guys in this thread are mad into electronica / techno etc and recognise the names but 90% of glasto punters have no idea who bicep is or who's playing where after midnight and they just head to the SE corner because it's the SE corner. I can't see the crowding problems changing much this year without a reorganisation and an increase in size of the SE corner. I'll be happy to be wrong though! I'll definitely be spending a lot more time in the glade this year.

Yeah I have to agree with Madyaker there, it's good that they have provided more options but I don't think it will alleviate the issues that currently exist in the SE Corner between 12-3am, what it does mean is that I will be able to find something to dance to without having to get caught up in all the Shangri-La madness. I think that will certainly work wonders for myself and the group of people I go with, it's nice to get down to the SE Corner, but if that means I have to mooch about some lesser danced in areas until later then I'm more than ok with that.

i think the point is that it takes several hundred people that would be forced to head to the SE Corner, or more specifically Shangri-La, away from there to get their dance music fix. LBHQ moving also frees up some space.

I wouldn't go near the Shangri-La only for the fact that they unfortunately put DJs I like on down there. at least now I only have to bother with Block9 and The Common, and can pretty much keep away from Unfairground and Shangri-La completely.

it'll still be utter carnage down there, but at least it'll hopefully be a little better than usual.

I'm sure if they could figure out a way to increase the space down there they would, that won't happen this year as it probably means making other long-established areas smaller, or moving crew camping or something. maybe for 2019 they can do a reshuffle to make down there bigger.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Just uploaded a new mix! I think Ben might appreciate the techno-heavy-ness of it :)

Always appreciate feedback :)

Ten minutes in and your suspicions are correct, Matthew

No bullshit - I'd much rather have you mixing this than a lot of the happy clappy stuff on the Farm menu so far!!

Nice work, man.

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Although I appreciate the promotors efforts I'm not sure if spreading around the big names will be enough to alleviate the crowds in the SE corner. I know you guys in this thread are mad into electronica / techno etc and recognise the names but 90% of glasto punters have no idea who bicep is or who's playing where after midnight and they just head to the SE corner because it's the SE corner. I can't see the crowding problems changing much this year without a reorganisation and an increase in size of the SE corner. I'll be happy to be wrong though! I'll definitely be spending a lot more time in the glade this year.

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah I have to agree with Madyaker there, it's good that they have provided more options but I don't think it will alleviate the issues that currently exist in the SE Corner between 12-3am, what it does mean is that I will be able to find something to dance to without having to get caught up in all the Shangri-La madness. I think that will certainly work wonders for myself and the group of people I go with, it's nice to get down to the SE Corner, but if that means I have to mooch about some lesser danced in areas until later then I'm more than ok with that.

I'm sure you're both absolutely correct.

Essentially, the dance heads will benefit from having many more options. Self-centredly, my issue is that I'm not nearly as happy as many of you dancing to more poppy disco stuff - not having a go, I promise, I'm just such a techno devotee...

So, exciting a development as this is, I know that if there is someone I really want to see on at 0200h in the SEC up against someone that is 'fine' for me but not particularly pushing my buttons, then down the Railway Track I will have to go.

I have no doubt that the hordes that flock to the SEC pretty much only because it's 'what you do' will continue to do so in the same numbers as ever. As said earlier, as long as I can get into what I want in Block 9 and The Common then I'll be super happy.

My only real worry is the Temple. I love Genosys so much, but I know that I can 'always' get to it. I'm worried that the new and improved Temple will attract even more people just to 'have a look'. I shouldn't be such a horrendous dance snob, but the night time at Glastonbury is such an important part of my year, let alone my festival, that if it means me getting where I 'need' to be then your casual 'oooh, let's go and have a little boogie' bods who don't really give a shit about dance music for 360 nights of the year can, quite frankly, fuck right off!

I'm entirely ready for the deserved comebacks of me being an elitist snob and I'll take them on the chin, but bugger me these 4-5 nights are vital!

Ben

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm sure you're both absolutely correct.

Essentially, the dance heads will benefit from having many more options. Self-centredly, my issue is that I'm not nearly as happy as many of you dancing to more poppy disco stuff - not having a go, I promise, I'm just such a techno devotee...

So, exciting a development as this is, I know that if there is someone I really want to see on at 0200h in the SEC up against someone that is 'fine' for me but not particularly pushing my buttons, then down the Railway Track I will have to go.

I have no doubt that the hordes that flock to the SEC pretty much only because it's 'what you do' will continue to do so in the same numbers as ever. As said earlier, as long as I can get into what I want in Block 9 and The Common then I'll be super happy.

My only real worry is the Temple. I love Genosys so much, but I know that I can 'always' get to it. I'm worried that the new and improved Temple will attract even more people just to 'have a look'. I shouldn't be such a horrendous dance snob, but the night time at Glastonbury is such an important part of my year, let alone my festival, that if it means me getting where I 'need' to be then your casual 'oooh, let's go and have a little boogie' bods who don't really give a shit about dance music for 360 nights of the year can, quite frankly, fuck right off!

I'm entirely ready for the deserved comebacks of me being an elitist snob and I'll take them on the chin, but bugger me these 4-5 nights are vital!

Ben

If I can't get into the SE Corner to watch Blawan I will be weeping hot salty tears, a lot of the dance line up so far hasn't exactly been to my tastes to be fair, I'm sure I'll find stuff to watch though!