Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 hours ago, hoopy67 said:

Chase & Status DJ sets are terrible now. They put zero effort into it. Such a shame as they were great.

As has already been mentioned, they literally just dropped one of the most watched Boiler Room sets ever, so ‘terrible’ is a bit harsh. 

I do think they are almost too active though, which doesn’t help. They were on the festival/live circuit this year and now with a new album out + Drumsheds in Feb etc, you’d think next summer would be big too. Hoping they focus on live shows as it’s what sets them apart to most.

14 hours ago, mjfromthelane said:

As has already been mentioned, they literally just dropped one of the most watched Boiler Room sets ever, so ‘terrible’ is a bit harsh. 

I do think they are almost too active though, which doesn’t help. They were on the festival/live circuit this year and now with a new album out + Drumsheds in Feb etc, you’d think next summer would be big too. Hoping they focus on live shows as it’s what sets them apart to most.

One good boiler room set doesn't cut it for me.

They were terrible b2b Carl Cox at 2022 Glasto, I left the set part way through. Playing full songs and fading them into the next full song isn't DJing. I expected more.

On 11/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, Acid Loafers said:

Comparing to Coachella is never a good idea, but I would kill for a Despacio tent on the farm. Still never been to one.

There was in 2014.  The location of it was between two other loud stages and apparently it didn't work out.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/despacio-soundsystem-coming-to-silver-hayes/

On 11/24/2023 at 11:56 PM, Flying_Hellfish said:

If Soulwax play a live set, can we please have a 2manydjs pt2 set elsewhere as well? Would make my fest

I saw the special set they did at printworks (supposed to have been at Brixton) and it was really disappointing. Basically just pressed play on the album. Soulwax live >> 2manydjs imho. 2manydjs are at their best when being spontaneous/improvising but the visuals they put with the sets means it's by definition not spontaneous and therefore feels quite formulaic. 

The live set has been fantastic every time I've seen them.

22 minutes ago, dcsessions said:

I saw the special set they did at printworks (supposed to have been at Brixton) and it was really disappointing. Basically just pressed play on the album. Soulwax live >> 2manydjs imho. 2manydjs are at their best when being spontaneous/improvising but the visuals they put with the sets means it's by definition not spontaneous and therefore feels quite formulaic. 

I was at that and can agree I thought it was really disappointing. Debating going to the night at Electric Brixton just before Christmas hoping that will be more exciting although I’m getting a bit old for 5am finishes these days (Glastonbury excluded)

On 11/24/2023 at 11:56 PM, Flying_Hellfish said:

If Soulwax play a live set, can we please have a 2manydjs pt2 set elsewhere as well? Would make my fest

If Soulwax play, it's an absolute given.  And hopefully they're back to just doing their normal, knock-it-out-of-the-park sets rather than that sham of an anniversary show.

On 11/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, cgall said:

What are the chances of them being there next year on one of the big stages? seen that they're doing the rounds massively this year with their live sets. Would be amazing!

Can we have somebody new, please?  If you've been on the farm for the last two festivals and not seen them, wtf have you been doing?

On 11/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, dcsessions said:

Ahh that's very disappointing to hear. The beauty of those mixes was the anarchy of not knowing what's gonna happen next, but knowing it's gonna be a party that anyone can get into. Taking away the spontaneous side is a killer, I would've expected them to do have done something really subvertive with it (while staying true enough to keep the anniversary spirit). Just sounds like a cash grab.

I'd be at both sets in all likelihood anyway but I'll have to temper my expectations on 2manydjs

13 hours ago, gordong said:

Drumsheds Spring/Summer 24 season is quite disappointing. Only thing of interest is the Bonobo night but I’m supposed to be away for Easter. 

Hopefully they are trying to flog tickets for the sh*t ones then announce the ones that are guaranteed sell outs

I do wonder what enjoy your life is - romy seems the obvious link but shes nowhere near big enough etc

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Hopefully they are trying to flog tickets for the sh*t ones then announce the ones that are guaranteed sell outs

I do wonder what enjoy your life is - romy seems the obvious link but shes nowhere near big enough etc

Having gone for the Bugged Out night a few weeks ago I have to say I thought the venue was a bit disappointing, main room is too big and lacked atmosphere, second room was much better. Really don’t think I’d rush back unless there was a fantastic line up on

12 hours ago, Flying_Hellfish said:

Ahh that's very disappointing to hear. The beauty of those mixes was the anarchy of not knowing what's gonna happen next, but knowing it's gonna be a party that anyone can get into. Taking away the spontaneous side is a killer, I would've expected them to do have done something really subvertive with it (while staying true enough to keep the anniversary spirit). Just sounds like a cash grab.

I'd be at both sets in all likelihood anyway but I'll have to temper my expectations on 2manydjs

I've seen 2manydjs twice this year and the sets were very different. The first was in February at a Deewee party in Ghent and they actually played twice during the night. It was a basic set up, just CDJ's and mixer (no videos), and they played loads of different stuff (alongside some of their own remixes and new edits) so was very spontaneous in that sense. I've watched them loads of times over the last 17/18 years and this was definitely my favourite.

Caught them again in August at a festival In Belgium that was billed as a 'live' set and part of the 20th anniversary celebration of AHORS Pt 2. Got to spend some time with them and their crew that night (which is an entire other story in itself!!) and they were using the old Pioneer DVJ1000's and SVM1000 mixer. They do still have the ability to play around with the order of the set, as the videos and tracks are obviously both on the same DVD, but it was very similar to some of the other shows they'd played during the year.

The slight issue with seeing them at Printworks or a big festival, especially this year with the anniversary theme, is that they're going to treat it more like a live set and play a lot of the tracks off the album. It's also the case that not everyone is specifically there to see them, or may just be a passing fan, so they want to hear the familiar stuff.

I'm going to Bugged Out as well and expect this to be much more along the lines of when I saw them in Ghent. They will always play some of their big remixes (Wet Leg, Charlotte and Bolis and Rosalia have all been staples in their sets this year) but I'm sure they'll mix it up a lot more as it's in a club setting.

Was also underwhelmed by the Drumsheds announcement. Doubt I'm going to take a punt on any of the nights in the pre sale but hopefully they will drop a few more events soon. Was expecting the likes of Afterlife and Circo Loco to feature but could still happen. Eric Prydz bringing his HOLO show would be amazing but doubt the screen they have is up to the job. There's also limitations with the height it can go behind the stage so that might be a factor for some productions.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barneym said:

Having gone for the Bugged Out night a few weeks ago I have to say I thought the venue was a bit disappointing, main room is too big and lacked atmosphere, second room was much better. Really don’t think I’d rush back unless there was a fantastic line up on

I quite liked it to be honest, far better than printworks where you can't hear anything anyway

Obviously smaller clubs are best, but you need the size to get those stacked all day good dj lineups

It sounds like more is coming based on an email they sent this AM.

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

So im sure someone can help... where is the best place to catch some good old vocal house/dance music? Like the Gok Wan set he smashed in the glade this year.... that was f**king bouncing 😄 

Im too old for the monotonous drone of trance these days. 

Last year it would have been on Greenpeace for the Glitterbox takeover on the Friday night. If they repeat that again this year, that's as good a place as any for vocal house/nu-disco/classic disco

• Like 1

I do have tickets for soulwax at roundhouse next year which could be really special. The acoustics in there can be crazy.

I don't think they are definitely confirmed for Glastonbury but imagine they will be there.

I thought bugged out at drumsheds was really good. The sound for the first few tracks of hot chip was insane. I liked the scale of it in the context of a supervenue; ceilings not too high and really good sound quality. Compared to the main other jumbo size venue in north London - Alexandra palace I'd say it's streets ahead. I can't be bothered with AP anymore, it's soulless and the sound has been shocking every time I've been.