This Year At Glastonbury Festival, I didn't...

Guest stuartbert two hats

I didn’t:

• Enjoy myself as much as I’d ideally hope
  • Talk to strangers
  • See the fuss about Dolly Parton
  • Make a good choice with the Goldfrapp/Anna Calvi/Jack White/Manics clash (I chose the Manics)
  • Go to the John Peel tent
  • Get drunk enough
  • Explore the festival enough; I think I missed most of what a lot of people love about Glastonbury, basically just saw some bands and stuff
  • See Wolf Alice, whose set looked fantastic
  • Feel any desire to return to the SE corner
  • Remember where I was camped on the hazy, hungover first morning, resulting in a miserable sunburnt afternoon of walking around in circles
  • Break down/skip any work shifts
  • Go with friends
  • Regret going

I’m looking forward to making a better go of it next year, if I have people to go with and get a ticket.

Edited by bocumaroy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't

- see anything in West Holts stage

- go to Acoustic tent as didn't know where it was

- stay in one place for very long as I wanted to see everything

- only discovered Shangri La, unfairground and block 9 on last night so didn't really get the full experience.

- didn't have anyone with me as went alone

- camp at a decent distance from anything so more walking

- wake up feeling good

- drink much alcohol

Well the list of things I didn't do could go on a bit so I'll just go with things I didn't do at Glastonbury that I still want to do.

• Go and see a political talk at Leftfield
  • Watch something in the Crow's Nest
  • Go up the ribbon tower
  • Make something in Green Futures Field
  • Find that underground piano bar

Didn't see an act all weekend on the pyramid :)

Didn't see an act ( aside from a bit of Royal Blood) all weekend on the JP , sadly because of clashes

See any acts on the Acoustic ( but that's a norm for me somehow)

Other than that very happy!

I didn't...

Get cheesed off once whereas in similar situations outside the fence I would've done. Royally so (eg the head to toe complete soaking during friday's storm).

Go to the Acoustic field (seems a running theme here although usually see a couple of acts here - needs a shake up maybe?).

Go back to the SE Corner after thurs night - the crushes in and around there were no fun at all.

Enjoy Jack White either.

Tire of the view from my tent up in Lime Kiln Ground or from the top of the Park at the other end. Beautiful scene(s).

Find anything interesting on the floor. Apart from a soggy tenner in the car park.

Eat all the food I took with me (just finished the last breakfast bar 10 mins ago).

Open my progamme (still haven't) but will treasure it along with all the others.

Work out the name of the stage next to the Rabbit Hole (was this also the Rabbit Hole? In which case the mystery band might I enjoyed in between John Grant and Mogwai might have been New Build!).

See anyone famous that wasn't performing.

Expect to enjoy Lee Nelson. But I did very much.

Oddly didn't enjoy anything else I saw in The Cabaret this year when it has been a rich hunting ground over the years.

Suffer the crippling glum feeling afterwards - just happiness for making it back after too long a break.

Edited by Mandroman

I didn't...

Work out the name of the stage next to the Rabbit Hole (was this also the Rabbit Hole? In which case the mystery band might I enjoyed in between John Grant and Mogwai might have been New Build!).

Yes it is. They were very enjoyable weren't they!

Yes it is. They were very enjoyable weren't they!

Hurrah! And yes they were great. All squashed up on that weeny stage. Although I'm very glad I broke away to see Mogwai there was a moment when I asked myself if I could be bothered as I was quite happy where I was.

And thanks for the confirmation!

Edited by Mandroman

This year, I didn't....

• Stop. I raced around trying to see everything and ended up feeling I hadn't seen anything. You'll find me much more chilled on Wed/Thurs next year, spending much more time just chilling in Green Futures.
  • Spend any time in the acoustic, spoken word/poetry or speakers forums. That's one of my biggest regrets. Next year (hopefully!) I'll do that and treat the music as the cherry on top instead of the be all and end all.
  • Make any friends. Contrary to popular wisdom, it's actually quite hard to do that as a single guy. Camping with others from eFests would have helped. Didn't do that either. D'oh!

- Didn't see any of the Other headliners

- Didn't have one of those hot dog things, grizzler is it?

- Didn't go to John Peel stage once

- Didn't find the underground piano bar, not for lack of trying!

- Didn't spend as much time in SE corner as I'd have liked

Things I meant to/usually do but didn't:

- have a square pie. or indeed any pie at all - this is a first in ten years

- have a grande bouffe - also a first tho in 9 years rather shocked at myself tbh

- catch more than the last tune of an Egg set. Never managed it.

- see a pyramid headliner - but that happens a lot.

- grumble at my best mate making me be sensible, he didn't come :)

pretty smooth sailing really

I didn't...

Get cheesed off once whereas in similar situations outside the great. I would've done. Royally so (eg the head to toe complete soaking during friday's storm).

Go to the Acoustic field (seems a running theme here although usually see a couple of acts here - needs a shake up maybe?).

Go back to the SE Corner after thurs night - the crushes in and around there were no fun at all.

Enjoy Jack White either.

Tire of the view from my tent up in Lime Kiln Ground or from the top of the Park at the other end. Beautiful scene(s).

Find anything interesting on the floor. Apart from a soggy tenner in the car park.

Eat all the food I took with me (just finished the last breakfast bar 10 mins ago).

Open my progamme (still haven't) but will treasure it along with all the others.

See anyone famous that wasn't performing.

Expect to enjoy Lee Nelson. But I did very much.

Oddly didn't enjoy anything else I saw in The Cabaret this year when it has been a rich hunting ground over the years.

Suffer the crippling glum feeling afterwards - just happiness for making it back after too long a break.

Now you mention it, the cabaret tent was a bit poor this year. Usually one of my favourite places, especially when you just pop in and end up catching someone great