How to find each other?

Guest Sparky69

Tell her to meet you a certain well know place (food stall for example). Tell her as it will be busy she will have to make load mooing noises, or any other farmyard animal, that way you can locate her.

this may help but it will certainly make sure she ends up on the "funny things I saw at Glastonbury" thread

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to the Pyramid we always meet at the wateraid/oxfam tent which is down the slope a bit to the right of the Pyramid stage as you look at it. When it comes to the Other we tend to go for the green fence on the left as you look at it (I want to say there is a no crowd surfing sign there too).

But we tend to only meet in those places in the day time, once it gets to late evening we just tend to stay in small groups of who want to see the same thing and then meet up after the headliners.

As much as I hate flags, they are a good reference point to find people.

I remember last year being able to direct someone to where we were by saying "we are next to a flag that I literally cannot describe", and about 2 minutes later they were stood next to us

Took a flag lazt year (before you start I was at the back) great reference point for our group. And others as when one act we were watching finished we were set to m9ve off only to be persuaded to stay by a couple of people for 5 minutes as they'd use our flag to tell tgeor mates where they were

A few years ago they were going to introduce a system where everyone had a microchip inserted temporarily under the nape of the neck. It would have acted as a geo-location device so that people could always find their mates, and for a premium you would have hired a special Glaso Friend Finder handset (it looked like a cross between a torch and a high-tech hammer).

Sadly this never happened, largely due to WikiLeaks picking up the story and the Guardian doing a splash piece headlined "Glastonbury sells out to NSA-designed spy device". Pity. Might have solved the problem.

Edited by martpol

We have always had an 'on the hour, any hour' type meeting arrangement.

Before the days of mobile phones, we would pick a meeting place and say that if we lost each other, we would meet there on the hour, unless we were enjoying something too much to be bothered! Then try again on the next hour. If you wanted to meet up, you'd go to the meeting point, give it 10 minutes, & if no-one turned up, then you'd go off and find something to enjoy on your own/with your group of the party until the next hour. On the next hour - it might be you that's enjoying yourself too much to be bothered to get back to the meeting point.

We have used that everywhere from Glastonbury to Notting Hill.

Now there are mobile phones, you can do the same thing, but add in texting which allows for the delay whilst allowing you to narrow it down. You could be telling the person what it is that you are enjoying too much to be bothered to come back & meet, so they can head up there and at least enjoy it too, even if you don't meet. Then maybe you can communicate a meeting point nearer to that thing. You could tell them what time you think you might get to the meeting point. You could tell them that you would like to make a specific plan because you really want to get together before 'such & such' is on - but try not to use the mobile with any immediate expectations.

I'd say that in the main you should only try to use mobiles to arrange to meet up in half an hour or an hours time Trying to use them to meet 'now' is likely to be a source of frustration. The signal isn't even that bad, but if your mates aren't heading back to meet you, it's quite likely that they are somewhere where they won't hear their phone, or even have it switched off.

Our original plan is always a good fail safe for someone who loses their phone, or the battery dies but it's also important just to enjoy the moment you are in, whatever it brings, and not spend too much time wondering where your mates have gone, Glastonbury is full of new ones!

The bird hand thing.... Raise one arm in the air, bend the wrist, make finger and thumb movement like a naked glove puppet, look like a tw@t.

Me, I prefer a feather duster on a stick for finding friends and making new friends tio

If you are determined to meet very frequently, how about looking through Clashfinder for vague plans on what you're both watching (both music and non-music) which will give you some idea on spaces or common events for when and where to meet. Caveat, as you must know there is so much to see at Glastonbury, so if you bimble away or something else catches your eye, then text to change plans, (the signal is better now). I tend to text and meet my mates in the afternoon or early evenings.

We have always had an 'on the hour, any hour' type meeting arrangement.

Before the days of mobile phones, we would pick a meeting place and say that if we lost each other, we would meet there on the hour, unless we were enjoying something too much to be bothered! Then try again on the next hour. If you wanted to meet up, you'd go to the meeting point, give it 10 minutes, & if no-one turned up, then you'd go off and find something to enjoy on your own/with your group of the party until the next hour. On the next hour - it might be you that's enjoying yourself too much to be bothered to get back to the meeting point.

We have used that everywhere from Glastonbury to Notting Hill.

We are a group of six and often tend to go our own way but arrange two or three meets during the day - either at food stalls or at particular stages.

If it is a stage we tend to have agreed meeting points such as the mixer desk at West Holts or outside the entrance to The Acoustic Tent.

With the Pyramid we have a general meeting point on a line from the Oak Tree to the right hand stage screen.

We don't carry flags but usually there will be someone else with one so we may be able to message the others and say 'near the flag of ......'