How to find each other?

Guest Sparky69

For meeting up at Pyramid, in the past, we have used the ice-cream van as a meeting point.

If closer to stage and band has started and someone needs to get drinks/toilet then flags come in useful. Remembering a few near by.. (I know flags are frowned upon on here. But they are handy in this situation)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clarifying Leggins. It's strange that I've not seen this before at any festival. Must have my had in the sand.

*Walks away shaking his own head at the horror that is his last sentence* Apart from that one that is. Oh and this one etc

This all sounds far too complicated, arranging meeting times, on the hour, etc.

Just do your own thing and you'll find each other eventually. I left my friends a lot during last year and I always found them back at the tent or vice versa, just out of pure coincidence. Even if they're not at the tent, if you want to go to a band they're at, you never know, you might bump in to them or you can just send a quick text en route to get an idea of approximately where they are stood. Our neighbours managed to find us at the Rolling Stones from me sending a text that was something along the lines of "we're on a small slope at the back of the field, in line with the hog roast" (I think it was hog roast but if not, something similar ). Sure enough, a 10 or so minutes later, they found us. :D

It's dead easy IF and only if you remember to plan in advance, that's the common thread through all these ideas - not trying to meet up in a hurry on the spot. That always goes wrong

Be very specific about where and give an hour's leeway for someone to get your text/etc so if it's 2pm don't send a message saying let's meet at any earlier than 3

Gives folk time to get the message, finish what they're doing, eat something random on the way over and you still meet up on time. Works even better with more notice of course.

Meeting near stages is much harder due to the crowds. It helps if you develop a favourite spot in the field that you can both return to, but mixing desks are a favourite landmark.

The thing is, it used to be all we had. We have also used it at Notting Hill Carnival which I think is just as big. The beauty of it for us was always that you don't have to go. It was always agreed and accepted that you would try the meeting point when you were ready, it was never a commitment. The fact that it is EVERY hour doesn't mean you have to be there every hour, it means you don't have to get there & you don't wait there indefinitely. There is always the next hour, or the one after. I think it possibly sounds quite regimented in print, when actually, it's a quite loose arrangement.

More like - oh look - its coming up to 4, shall we have a look & see if so & so/any of the others are at the meeting point?

I think texting has usurped this quite a lot, but it could still be useful back up if someone ends up on their own with a dead phone.

Whatsapp will work IF you have a reliable data connection to their server (not to the local mast) and your friend has a reliable connection back down again to their phone... too risky! That said at least it gives you a very clear indication of whether the message has gotten through or not,

Better off calling.