headliners in years to come ?

cidy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That high, really? I'd have thought maybe moving up to subbing Other at most.

I think the venues they're playing in September (Alexandra Palace etc) + album hype + airplay on both Radio 1 and 6 Music + good relationship with the festival (playing secret William's Green slot last year) = big slot. Then maybe headline on their third album. Maybe.

I think the venues they're playing in September (Alexandra Palace etc) + album hype + airplay on both Radio 1 and 6 Music + good relationship with the festival (playing secret William's Green slot last year) = big slot. Then maybe headline on their third album. Maybe.

I think they've already enough hype/momentum/whatever to carry out a third Pyramid/sub Other whatever happens but if the next album really knocks them into the big leagues then you could be right.

I agree with a few comments about Foals stepping up - I think they will headline Leeds/Reading on their next album for sure. It must only be a matter of time before Elbow or Florence headline Glastonbury, neither are for me but Eavis favourites no doubt.

I would quiet like to see a Glastonbury headlining trio of

Foals - Elton John - QOTSA

And Prince, Daft Punk, Fleetwood Mac go without saying for most people at this point I think.

There is one band I haven't seen suggested by anyone and it's a band I don't really care for. That said, the thing about this band is that everyone knows every word to almost every song, if they like to or not. I think they would absolutely smash it (epically) on the Pryamid and that band is Bon Jovi.

Edited by jpeee

Hmm, suppose you could be right. When I said subbing Other at most I was meaning for next year, but as dentalplan says they're probably big enough for that at the moment and could quite conceivably get a big boost in popularity with the new album.

I think Biffy Clyro definitely could in the next 2 or 3 years

As for upcoming guitar bands, I think Foals and The Vaccines are probably the most likely

I also think Kanye West will probably headline in the next few years

I know people here disagree but i think Adele would also be a great booking

I know people here disagree but i think Adele would also be a great booking

come her next album i don't think anybody will be able to argue against her headlining. it's just whether she'll want to do it what with her fear of performing to huge crowds (although what with her superstardom i imagine that's something she'll soon have to overcome)

I can see these as future headliners:

Biffy Clyro

The Black Keys

Kanye West

Madonna

Prince

Fleetwood Mac

Kate Bush

Foo Fighters

Rihanna

Adele

Foals

Eminem

Elbow

Florence + the Machine

AC/DC

Tom Petty

Kylie Minogue

Queens of the Stone Age

Jake Bugg

Chase & Status

The Kinks

Biffy Clyro - Certainly

The Black Keys- Maybe with another successful album

Kanye West- Yeah

Madonna- Yeah, if they can convince her

Prince- seems hell bent on not wanting to do it

Fleetwood Mac- Yeah

Kate Bush- Not going to happen

Foo Fighters- Yeah

Rihanna- Maybe

Adele- Yeah, if they can convince her to overcome her fear of performing

Foals- Yeah in a few more years

Eminem- Nope, too controversial in the past

Elbow- personally don't think they'll ever make it past subbing the Pyramid, they've peaked commercially

Florence + the Machine- Yeah

AC/DC- Nope

Tom Petty- Too niche

Kylie Minogue- Not big enough anymore

Queens of the Stone Age- Maybe

Jake Bugg- hopefully not, but probable

Chase & Status- see above

The Kinks- Possibly

Biffy Clyro

The Black Keys

Kanye West

Madonna

Prince

Fleetwood Mac

Kate Bush

Foo Fighters

Rihanna

Adele

Foals

Eminem

Elbow

Florence + the Machine

AC/DC

Tom Petty

Kylie Minogue

Queens of the Stone Age

Jake Bugg

Chase & Status

The Kinks

+ radiohead, coldplay

oh I thought it was just a general list of who might headline in the future.

The future is bleak.

Well I imagine they will both headline soon but I thought that was why they hadn't been mentioned.

I think people suggesting acts that have been around in excess of thirty years as the future of the festival headliners speaks volumes as to why it seems kinda bleak. Should work itself out though, it usually does.

Edited by dentalplan

Kaiser Chiefs- (Bear with me, okay?) Right, so they were pretty damn big about 7 or 8 years ago, then they faded... But suddenly (with thanks to The Voice), they spend 2 weeks at number 1 in the album charts, something that only 3 bands had managed in the past 5 years; Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Metallica... Then they go and sell the O2 Arena out, a year in advance of the gig... People like Kaisers' new music, but they also love the old stuff. Could see a big jump up if they keep the hype they have at the moment going into the next album, and maybe even the one after that. I's an outsider shot, but y'know.

not a chance. if you look at the week sales that Kaiser Chiefs had during their two weeks at number one they were incredibly low, and they just got lucky that nothing else of significance was released in those two weeks

in the next few years they may climb back up to a midday Pyramid slot (like a lot of people thought they would this year) but that's as good as they're gonna get. they're lucky their JP headline slot clashes with two not particularly popular acts on the Pyramid and Other otherwise they'd be playing to a half empty tent