The National

Zoo Music Girl

17 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Frankenstein is top tier, Laugh track has some moments but doesn't really do it for me.  I have spent a lot of time with the first record and the second has thus far failed to grab me.

I was like that, but it's got me now. Frankenstein just pips it though.

For me Frankenstein is an album of 9’s and 5’s - the highs (Eucalyptus, New Order, Tropic Morning News, Grease…) are fantastic but there are a few duds.

Laugh Track is mostly 7’s at least with a few 9’s - Smoke Detector, Space Invader, Tour Manager…)

Poolside
Eucalyptus 
New Order
Tropic Morning News
Alien
Alphabet City
Weird Goodbyes
Space Invader
Tour Manager
Smoke Detector 

Monkey about with the running order and you’ve got one of their best ever.

If I hadn't seen Stevie before then I would be going for Stevie...but because I saw him last time (and loved it) then it would be The National for me.

My logic behind that is they are a band I love - I've seen them loads but I think it is the right place at the right time and will be able to get a good spot amongst people that really want to be there.

I was at Ally Pally night 1 last year and there were songs from the new album which they didn't play which I hope they play at Glasto.

Edited by glimmers_of_hope

The thing is, a possible Other headlining set has the potential to become one for the books. I've said it before: the band is playing the best shows of their career now. If only Glasto dunks this opportunity in the basket. 

Another possible clash would be The Smile vs The National though... 

5 hours ago, 1986 said:

So if they're clashing with Stevie who has a tough choice on their hands? I'd love to see Stevie Wonder but knowing The National are playing while I'm somewhere else just sits wrong. 

We have tickets for Crystal Palace so if its Stevie, will be at the Pyramid & if not get to see them twice in a week. Win win.

9 hours ago, 1986 said:

So if they're clashing with Stevie who has a tough choice on their hands? I'd love to see Stevie Wonder but knowing The National are playing while I'm somewhere else just sits wrong. 

I’ll be at Stevie. 

Weird that my fave band will be at my fave place and I’m choosing not to see them, but….

My wife has never seen Stevie before and it’s number one on her bucket list. 

And although I’ve seen him, it was 14 years ago. This will probably be the last chance we get. 

14 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

If I hadn't seen Stevie before then I would be going for Stevie...but because I saw him last time (and loved it) then it would be The National for me.

My logic behind that is they are a band I love - I've seen them loads but I think it is the right place at the right time and will be able to get a good spot amongst people that really want to be there.

I was at Ally Pally night 1 last year and there were songs from the new album which they didn't play which I hope they play at Glasto.

My thoughts in a nutshell

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Stevie will win for me, even though I'm about seventy-five percent certain I'd enjoy The National more.

But I've seen 'em three times - weirdly, Glastonbury '16 is the best of these occasions - and not sure I'd get the chance for Stevie ever again.

Have you seen Stevie?

On 2/23/2024 at 9:23 AM, 1986 said:

That would be a terrible clash. I would prefer the National to be up against Coldplay or Dua Lipa. Stevie is the only one of those possible headliners I would see instead of The National. Must be one of the last chances to see Stevie, hopefully the National will be around for many more years 🤞

Personally I think that this summer is the chance to see them at the absolute top of their game and a headline slot against a legendary artist like Stevie is all the better for ensuring the crowd is full of die hard fans so the atmosphere should be bang on.  It would take someone really special to entice me to another stage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spindles said:

Personally I think that this summer is the chance to see them at the absolute top of their game and a headline slot against a legendary artist like Stevie is all the better for ensuring the crowd is full of die hard fans so the atmosphere should be bang on.  It would take someone really special to entice me to another stage.

Gonna be the gig of the weekend.

Epic show. Loved it!

A but unsure how it would translate to a big field like the Other Stage. They are big enough and absolutely good enough to headline it… but it just feels more like a Woodsies sized show to me.

A difficult one to place but they will be excellent if they do turn up.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:36 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

For me Frankenstein is an album of 9’s and 5’s - the highs (Eucalyptus, New Order, Tropic Morning News, Grease…) are fantastic but there are a few duds.

Laugh Track is mostly 7’s at least with a few 9’s - Smoke Detector, Space Invader, Tour Manager…)

Poolside
Eucalyptus 
New Order
Tropic Morning News
Alien
Alphabet City
Weird Goodbyes
Space Invader
Tour Manager
Smoke Detector 

Monkey about with the running order and you’ve got one of their best ever.

First Two Pages Of Laugh Track (preserving the track number and choosing one or t'other):

1. Once Upon A Poolside (feat. Sufjan Stevens)
  2. Deep End (Paul’s in Pieces)
  3. New Order T-Shirt
  4. Turn Off the House
  5. Tropic Morning News
  6. Laugh Track
  7. Space Invader
  8. Grease In Your Hair
  9. Coat on a Hook
  10. Tour Manager
  11. Send For Me
  12. Smoke Detector
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Going to see them again in Cardiff Castle in July and really hoping the setlist is as extensive as the recent entries on setlist.fm. can I really expect 25+ songs??

Depends on how long a stage time they get. Ally Pally was over 2 hours so enough time to crowbar in 28 songs, which is the number we got that evening.

Edited by charlierc