The National

Zoo Music Girl

47 minutes ago, st dan said:

If you like them on record, then chances are you’ll enjoy them live. If you’re not really into them, or are even just a casual fan, then I don’t think they’d blow you over by them live.
They have somewhat of a huge cult following, which makes for fantastic atmospheres at their own gigs - I don’t think they are a great festival band for this reason. 

I think it's exactly the other way round. They didn't really click with me until I saw them at a festival. Enjoyed them more at festivals, where's there way more energy and interaction, than during indoor gigs. 

3 minutes ago, Drinky said:

The only equivalent would be Bowie 2000 but with the modern fence and crowd size (or Bowie if he were still alive today)

Thing is - if you view the Bowie footage there are still campfires in the Pyramid Arena so the crowd density could well have been pretty inconsistent.

I wonder if drone footage of The Levellers' 'record' crowd would pull their trousers down a bit.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is - if you view the Bowie footage there are still campfires in the Pyramid Arena so the crowd density could well have been pretty inconsistent.

I wonder if drone footage of The Levellers' 'record' crowd would pull their trousers down a bit.

Yeah, I've always been a bit sceptical of the 2000 '300,000 people on site on Sunday' stories, given how much smaller the site was and how busy last year felt with 200k within a site 3 times larger... unless half the 300k decided they'd rather sit in baking tents or at the stone circle than see Bowie

4 hours ago, Drinky said:

The only equivalent would be Bowie 2000 but with the modern fence and crowd size (or Bowie if he were still alive today)

People talk about the chems that year with people through the hedges, Emily mentions it. Not sure myself as rocked up and could get to the front right speaker. 

29 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I seem to recall the Castlefield Bowl show a few years ago didn't sell out quickly - got my pair of tickets long after the onsale date.

Wikipedia tells me it can hold 8,450, so if that is indeed the capacity for events, then I won't be surprised if it takes a while to shift.

Just received this email from Gigsandtours:

Hello Cherry Tree member,

As one of the initial members to purchase tickets in the Cherry Tree pre-sale, you will receive early access to the venue on Thurs 4 July 2024.
Please bring a printout of this message or be prepared to show this email on your phone, as well as your ID and tickets purchased in the initial transaction so we can get you into the venue as quickly as possible.

Do you reckon it's worth going in early as I don't normally like to get in that early but this seems intriguing and don't want to miss out on something.

There is concrete seating at the back of Castlefield Bowl - which are perfect! Given up on the standing melee as they do pack them in at Castlefield - so usually get there early - as soon as gates open -which is about 5 - sit in the middle next to sound desk (usually most stand up when the main band are on) - there is a bar and toilets just behind - which is usually not busy as everyone standing goes to the other bars. So sit yourself down get a drink, people watch, and watch the support. Done this the last two visits to see Lathums and James. Go to the Ox Noble pub first - which is about 200 metres away from the main entrance. Alternatively get yourself a barge, moor on the canal basin next to the Bowl!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Other Steve said:

Just received this email from Gigsandtours:

Hello Cherry Tree member,

As one of the initial members to purchase tickets in the Cherry Tree pre-sale, you will receive early access to the venue on Thurs 4 July 2024.
Please bring a printout of this message or be prepared to show this email on your phone, as well as your ID and tickets purchased in the initial transaction so we can get you into the venue as quickly as possible.

Do you reckon it's worth going in early as I don't normally like to get in that early but this seems intriguing and don't want to miss out on something.

I mean, if you can check out the soundcheck or a pre-show acoustic set, absolutely.

Even then, I'd say it's worth getting in early if you want to bag a decent spot.

Then again, if you want to save on overpriced booze... maybe wait a bit! 😉

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Any recommendations for what National album(s) to start with, based on quality and what songs they're likely to play at Glastonbury, if they play?

High Violet then Boxer then Alligator then Trouble Will Find Me then Sleep Well Beast...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Any recommendations for what National album(s) to start with, based on quality and what songs they're likely to play at Glastonbury, if they play?

Album wise they are very consistent from Alligator onwards.

Alligator and Boxer are my 2 favourites. 

I would start with High Violet though as that has several big moments on which can be amazing live. 

I'm not sure what they will do from a setlist perspective because they mix it up a lot. 

I would expect quite a few from the last 2 albums though so worth getting familiar with them. 

If you look on setlist.fm you will see the songs that often get an outing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Little Andy said:

I'd say that Trouble Will Find Me is definitely the most accessible for a new listener. If you like that album (highlights are Pink Rabbits, Graceless, Humiliation, I Should Live In Salt, Don't Swallow The Cap), then I'd recommend High Violet next before listening to SWB. Boxer & Alligator are great albums but I found they took a few playthroughs at first.

Laugh Track is also a great new album by them if you enjoy TWFM.