Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

there's a media storm kicking off about this ... there's not only efestivals who've been in touch with the festival since this email has been sent out.

All the various issues that are being raised in this thread have been raised with the festival, including the fact that a "have to carry" rule is unfair against those with disabilities big or small.

So hopefully the statement they'll make shortly will clear everything up. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I guess over half the festival would be due to be in before that time. Where would you keep 10,000 people and their 10,000 trolleys?

I mean, I intend to turn up at 8am Wednesday by coach as well, with a trolley. There'd be blood if I was made to wait most of a day in a holding pen.

Makes you wonder if takings are were down at the bars in 2011 with people taking more due to having less disposable income? Not sure how it works with the bars, obviously the stall holders pay huge amount of money to be there!

EASY WAY ROUND THIS

Instead of taking slabs of drink in , Get an old holdall / sports bag , fill with cans, use trolley to take bag to gate but when you reach the gate carry the bag through and then use bungees to strap bag back to trolley to take to campsite. Reckon that'll solve the problem.

it's clearly a formality as has been mentioned probably something to do with the licence.

no restrictions on trips to collect more booze so really it's no biggy, if you can't carry it without a trolley then that would be too much for you but there is no concrete restrictions in place it appears.

plus loads of ways around it if there was a group of you using the one trolley are they gonna confiscate it? obv need to try n be together to explain it if they are really gonna enforce it properly. got a sore hand/wrist/back/leg/arm and are unable to carry it will the confiscate it?

I think the first part of the email about wristbands being available if you look under 21 is a very good idea though.

The wristbands would have to break on removal otherwise the potential for abuse is fantastic! Get a older person to head to the lockups and produce id. Get wristband, slip wristband off and hand to a 16/17yr old. Bingo! They can get served all weekend at the bars without any need to worry about refusal....

Ironically, I went to a music festival yesterday where there was absolutely no alcohol because of licensing restrictions. None allowed in, and none for sale. It dampened the atmosphere somewhat. We were only then talking about the 'freedom' of Glastonbury.

Edited by Mardy

So as far as I can see after reading the tread these are the main complaints? -

1. discriminatory - old vs young, disabled vs able, male vs female....

2. stupid way of defining reasonable amount- the festival is 5 days, so booze + all other stuff will obviously be too much to carry for many, even if it is a 'reasonable' amount

3. announcement is very close to festival - less than 2 weeks to go

4. People may end up replacing beer with spirits - hardly promoting reasonable use

5. People intending on selling on site can simply make more trips

All quite valid as far as I can see. I understand they have a licence to stick to and have to 'promote' safe drinking etc but the trolley thing is just plain daft

I assume though that what they are trying to stop are people bringing in trolleys loaded with nothing but crates and crates of cans, rather than those with 1 or 2 on a trolley loaded up with the rest of their camping gear.

However the email has been worded really badly and it was always going to cause a massive stink.