Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about this the more I think it would be an enormous disaster.

Think how many people would ignore the rule, forget about it, skim-read the email, the email ends up in junk mail, or decide that they will try to find ways around it (e.g. take beer off the trolley, struggle over gates, put it back on.)

The queues on Wednesday morning are bad enough as it is, but add in delays for extra checks by stewards, arguments with them, people having to stop to move things around, people standing there trying to decide what to do or calling their friends to warn them, people moving slowly because they are carrying extra etc - it would be a nightmare.

Surely the festival will see sense and issue some kind of major clarification.

Thought just occurred. Buying a ticket is a contract. Paying for it is consideration. Any conditions or terms of that contract need to be established before acceptance or consideration otherwise there is no consensus ad idem (meeting of minds) and hence the contract isn't valid.

Trying to amend the terms of the contract now is therefore a breach of that contract and legally not permissible.

if this is just a cynical ploy to raise bar revenues then i will have lost a lot of faith in glastonbury festival

what about if it's a cynical ploy to merely maintain bar revenues? Will you have lost faith them too? :P

I've no idea if it's about bar revenues or not (I wouldn't be surprised if it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not), but it might be the case that bar revenues fell at previous glasto's because of the recession, and they're merely trying to pre-empt an expected further fall.

Would that be so unreasonable? I'm not sure it would be, because a part of the whole festival structure is the bar concession, and if that no longer works financially because of falling sales then it needs to be addressed in some way or other.

what about if it's a cynical ploy to merely maintain bar revenues? Will you have lost faith them too? :P

I've no idea if it's about bar revenues or not (I wouldn't be surprised if it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not), but it might be the case that bar revenues fell at previous glasto's because of the recession, and they're merely trying to pre-empt an expected further fall.

Would that be so unreasonable? I'm not sure it would be, because a part of the whole festival structure is the bar concession, and if that no longer works financially because of falling sales then it needs to be addressed in some way or other.

Thought just occurred. Buying a ticket is a contract. Paying for it is consideration. Any conditions or terms of that contract need to be established before acceptance or consideration otherwise there is no consensus ad idem (meeting of minds) and hence the contract isn't valid.

Trying to amend the terms of the contract now is therefore a breach of that contract and legally not permissible.

If you deem GFL to be in breach of contract the your only option would be to request your money back, and who would actually do that? Plus the t&c's will have any number of caveats in it, does it explicitly say you CAN bring booze in on trollies? If not then they couldn't possibly be breaching any contract

My understanding of the email is that they do not want people taking excessive amounts of alcohol in with them. If you couldn't carry the amount of alcohol you have with you, it is too excessive

So I think you will still be able to carry it on a trolly as long as it is proportionate to how many are in your group

Wheeling 20 crates of larger up to the gates is not going to work

Edited by STEVEYBOY

i think glasto worker is on the right track, i think all festivals will eventually go down the road of not allowing you into the campsite (or in case of glasto the 'arena') with ANY of your own own booze, lciensing restrictions and the need for them to keep the booze companies & the bars on site happy will see to this.

pity for you guys that are used to whelling in slabs of beer on trolleys, looks like switching to spirits is the route for you then.

as a non drinker (and i dont have a trolley either) i wasn't going to bog myself down carrying 40 cans of coca cola anyway...but i'd be a bit pissed off they've changed the rules with so little time to go if i'd stocked up on booze especially.

My understanding of the email is that they do not want people taking excessive amounts of alcohol in with them. If you couldn't carry the amount of alcohol you have with you, it is too excessive

So I think you will still be able to carry it on a trolly as long as it is proportionate to how many are in your group

Wheeling 20 crates of larger up top the gates is not going to work

The problem is, if it has come down from on high it can only be clarified by reinforcing the statement in the email. They can't exactly say "we have to put it in writing, but we don't really mean it", which may well have been their original intent.

Edited by pedmills

Even if this is the case, they have gone about it in a truly terrible way...

oh, I know. I wasn't trying to stick up for them. I was just being flippant really, with pointing out that there's more than one angle around any idea.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things won't happen in the way that email is worded, and it's only been worded in that way because some pompous sod has come up with the 'bright' idea of trying to formalise how beer should be handled at the gates while not understanding why there's a need for a beer entry rule in the first place.

Just checked the website. No news of this there. In Info section under 'drink', still says for personal consumption only and no mention of it being wheeled in. All very strange.

If true I think they really need to clarify it.I use a sack trolley, have one crate on it (24 cans over 5 days is not much!), then tent, sleeping bag, plastic box with cooking items, are they going to say iI can't bring the alcohol in beacuse its wheeled, utter madness.

One of the things I tell my mates who go to other festivals, Glastonbury ig great as you can take all your own alcohol in.

We still buy pints on top of this. The bars will make no more money out of us as I won't be making any more trips to the bar, will just be sober!

On principle people should be angry about this.. but in practice it isn't really that big a deal. As we fly in every year and don't have the luxury of cars or what not we've always had to carry our own booze in and we've always managed to get completely off our tits have a good time. In reality though how much time do the majority of people spend at their tents and how much beer can they carry when going on a day excursion? Usually we leave our tents in the morning with a day pack of beer (like 8 tops?).. arrive back before night for spirits. The pyramid crowd who setup their tents to see the main stage and sit there for the entire festival and do a crate a day will be inconvenienced I guess but there can't be too many of them here.