Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

Also .. What about sledges/sleighs whatever you want to call them? They aren't on wheels so technically they'd be allowed?

This has to be one of the most stupid and un-thought out emails ever sent to 170,000 people .. What did they expect 2 weeks before the festival just casually dropping this in an email.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the first part of the email about wristbands being available if you look under 21 is a very good idea though.

The wristbands would have to break on removal otherwise the potential for abuse is fantastic! Get a older person to head to the lockups and produce id. Get wristband, slip wristband off and hand to a 16/17yr old. Bingo! They can get served all weekend at the bars without any need to worry about refusal....

Right. I'm going to get to the gates on Monday, in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed. eat a lump of cold heroin, carry in twenty-nine crates an hour using a forklift truck covered with a party gazebo, and bribe the security for permission to come to in, and when we get in, our Eavis will kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

it will be interesting to see what happens with trolleys. i have a rotator cuff injury on my right shoulder and my friend suffers from back issues so i've bought a 4 wheeled trolley for us to dump all out stuff in, rucksacks and booze, and then pull it together.

The more I think about this the more I think it would be an enormous disaster.

Think how many people would ignore the rule, forget about it, skim-read the email, the email ends up in junk mail, or decide that they will try to find ways around it (e.g. take beer off the trolley, struggle over gates, put it back on.)

The queues on Wednesday morning are bad enough as it is, but add in delays for extra checks by stewards, arguments with them, people having to stop to move things around, people standing there trying to decide what to do or calling their friends to warn them, people moving slowly because they are carrying extra etc - it would be a nightmare.

(Not to mention all the issues of disability discrimination...)

Surely the festival will see sense and issue some kind of major clarification.

Edited by pedmills

i think glasto worker is on the right track, i think all festivals will eventually go down the road of not allowing you into the campsite (or in case of glasto the 'arena') with ANY of your own own booze, lciensing restrictions and the need for them to keep the booze companies & the bars on site happy will see to this.

pity for you guys that are used to whelling in slabs of beer on trolleys, looks like switching to spirits is the route for you then.

as a non drinker (and i dont have a trolley either) i wasn't going to bog myself down carrying 40 cans of coca cola anyway...but i'd be a bit pissed off they've changed the rules with so little time to go if i'd stocked up on booze especially.

well they can try but if any staff feel that a person is under age they can still ask to see suitable ID
its been used at Latitude for a few years and if we spot a trend then we can switch back to suitable ID
youngest person found with a over 18 wristband was 11 - there had been a mix up at the tent where they were issued.

If as someone suggested it is to stop beer sellers then it's a bit daft. Walnut and sledgehammer stuff, prevent EVERYONE from bringing in too much beer to stop the dozen or so illegal beer sellers. Surely a simpler method would be for security/police to simple apprehend the few illegal beer sellers.

A simily of how daft this is would be to put the minimum price of alcohol up for EVERYONE in order to deter the few alcoholics...Oh..