Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought. Me and Parkgrange both have wheeled coolboxes which will contain about 50 cans of alcohol and some ice plus soft drinks/fruit juice (not much, granted). They also have handles on the side. If we carry them in using the handles, i.e. not pulling them on the wheels, does this still count?

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

there's a media storm kicking off about this ... there's not only efestivals who've been in touch with the festival since this email has been sent out.

All the various issues that are being raised in this thread have been raised with the festival, including the fact that a "have to carry" rule is unfair against those with disabilities big or small.

So hopefully the statement they'll make shortly will clear everything up. Fingers crossed.

Hasn't there been a massive increase in the number of people using trollies in the past few years? Perhaps (for whatever reason) GFL wants to limit this?

Although the increase in folk using trollies may well have been driven by the main arrival day changing from Thursday to Wednesday.

Edited by Jie Bie

It's fundamentally flawed though. Who and what are they trying to protect?

Example 1: It puts off those who intend to bring in 5+ crates and then sell them all. Problem: Do you really think those hoping to sell booze give a toss? They'll just do loads of smaller trips.

Example 2: It encourages responsible drinking. Problem: It's Glastonbury, not a jesus fest. Everyone does everything to excess.

etc.

I can understand it from queue management point of view, it is annoying being stuck behind people who have clearly brought too much, but then why not "Trollies will not be admitted before 5pm wednesday" or something like that?

I've just read this email and I'll be really annoyed if it's true. I only have 2 crates of Strongbow which will be going in my trolley- I have a dodgy back at the best of times so carrying 2 crates of Strongbow in my hands all the way to my tent will cripple me for the entire weekend.

Us Worthy View folks had the same email a few months ago. That one even included a no spirits rule too!

That was quickly ammended and the wording was altered to "a reasonable amount" after the large number of people pointing out that the "nothing on wheeled devices" rule was discriminatory.

I strongly believe it's a badly worded attempt to say "please bring a reasonable amount so we can at least say we tried to reduce the number of people needing medical treatment after drinking too much"

Us Worthy View folks had the same email a few months ago. That one even included a no spirits rule too!

That was quickly ammended and the wording was altered to "a reasonable amount" after the large number of people pointing out that the "nothing on wheeled devices" rule was discriminatory.

I strongly believe it's a badly worded attempt to say "please bring a reasonable amount so we can at least say we tried to reduce the number of people needing medical treatment after drinking too much"

How do you define reasonable?

If you go to a T20 game at the Rose Bowl for example there is a set amount of what you can take.. something like 6 cans or a bottle of wine. Until there is an actual limit of whats 'reasonable' its at the discretion of individual secerutiy staff... just hope you walk up to a Q that looks like a beer monster is manning it.