The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

13 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Been looking at these recently so appreciate seeing a recommendation!

Honestly the best nights sleep you’ll ever have in a tent.

• Thanks 1

The time is approaching to buy my glasto stuff with my final payday before the festival approaching.

I'm going to get another powerbank or 2. Can anyone remind me of how to tell how many charges you can get from a charger? From memory it was something like looking at the capacity of the charger and dividing it by the capacity of your phone to get the number of charges?

So apparently iPhone 14 Pro is 3,200mAh and the charger I'm looking at is 10,000mAh. Meaning I should get 3 (and a bit) charges out of it?

Here is the one I'm looking at, which seems decent value for money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+bank&qid=1685081517&sprefix=power+%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3

EDIT. Actually, this 20,000 seems decent? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-20000mAh-Battery-Charger-Indicator/dp/B09DKWH5HB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3R68F58WHJGJ3&keywords=power%2Bbank%2B20000mah&qid=1685081631&sprefix=power%2Bbank%2B%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&smid=A2EDHXU5YHP80X&th=1

Edited by DareToDibble

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The time is approaching to buy my glasto stuff with my final payday before the festival approaching.

I'm going to get another powerbank or 2. Can anyone remind me of how to tell how many charges you can get from a charger? From memory it was something like looking at the capacity of the charger and dividing it by the capacity of your phone to get the number of charges?

So apparently iPhone 14 Pro is 3,200mAh and the charger I'm looking at is 10,000mAh. Meaning I should get 3 (and a bit) charges out of it?

Here is the one I'm looking at, which seems decent value for money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+bank&qid=1685081517&sprefix=power+%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3

EDIT. Actually, this 20,000 seems decent? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-20000mAh-Battery-Charger-Indicator/dp/B09DKWH5HB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3R68F58WHJGJ3&keywords=power%2Bbank%2B20000mah&qid=1685081631&sprefix=power%2Bbank%2B%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&smid=A2EDHXU5YHP80X&th=1

SOARAISE Power Bank Portable Charger: 26800mAh PD 18W Portable Phone Charger USB C Fast Charging External Battery Pack for Phone Tablet https://amzn.eu/d/5GsKPFm

6 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

SOARAISE Power Bank Portable Charger: 26800mAh PD 18W Portable Phone Charger USB C Fast Charging External Battery Pack for Phone Tablet https://amzn.eu/d/5GsKPFm

Great find. Do you have one? I've always been skeptical of things that aren't Anker but I'm sure it's fine. Definitely liking the capacity! 

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

In a word: no.

I have a phone with a claimed battery capacity of 4000mAh and a new Anker power bank with a claimed capacity of 20,000mAh. I have tested it by using it to charge my phone exclusively whilst keeping a note of my battery levels before and after. The result was that it charged my phone 3.8x, or had an effective capacity of 15,200mAh. Therefore, I'd expect a 10,000mAh power bank to be closer to 7,500mAh in real life.

No transfer of energy is entirely efficient, so some losses occur between the two batteries. I also once had a cheap power bank which basically kept charging regardless of whether the device was fully charged, wasting power as a result. The best advice I could give is that it doesn't hurt to go overboard in terms of power. I take 2 20,000mAh power banks to be on the safe side. Also, bring a spare cable. Mine was damaged last year so I had a hard time using the excess of power I had.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Great find. Do you have one? I've always been skeptical of things that aren't Anker but I'm sure it's fine. Definitely liking the capacity! 

I have two and they’ve been great. If I were frugal I reckon I could get away with one of them for the week (iPhone 11),  but I’ll take both. They’re handy for having the cables attached, though take a spare as I did manage to break the pins off one of the lightning cables — not the devices fault, I think I dropped it or something daft. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FrankieX said:

In a word: no.

I have a phone with a claimed battery capacity of 4000mAh and a new Anker power bank with a claimed capacity of 20,000mAh. I have tested it by using it to charge my phone exclusively whilst keeping a note of my battery levels before and after. The result was that it charged my phone 3.8x, or had an effective capacity of 15,200mAh. Therefore, I'd expect a 10,000mAh power bank to be closer to 7,500mAh in real life.

No transfer of energy is entirely efficient, so some losses occur between the two batteries. I also once had a cheap power bank which basically kept charging regardless of whether the device was fully charged, wasting power as a result. The best advice I could give is that it doesn't hurt to go overboard in terms of power. I take 2 20,000mAh power banks to be on the safe side. Also, bring a spare cable. Mine was damaged last year so I had a hard time using the excess of power I had.

Great into, thanks.

I already have 1 charger which I believe is 10,000mAh and will likely get the one @PassingCloudjust posted which will give me 36,800mAh. Granted I won't actually get that but I should get something like 28,000mAh.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, PassingCloud said:

Just had one delivered. You should be on commission. The built in charging cables are going to be a phone saver. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:34 AM, DareToDibble said:

Great into, thanks.

I already have 1 charger which I believe is 10,000mAh and will likely get the one @PassingCloudjust posted which will give me 36,800mAh. Granted I won't actually get that but I should get something like 28,000mAh.

No harm in testing them during the next couple of weeks if you get the chance. 

I quite regularly charge my phone off a powerbank at home if it's nearby. I like to know that it's still functional. 

I'm still emotionally scarred from the memory affect of NI cad batteries in the past. 

On 5/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, PassingCloud said:

I also have this - great little charger, with the charging leads integrated so no need to worry about being those too

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

I quite regularly charge my phone off a powerbank at home if it's nearby. I like to know that it's still functional. 

I'm still emotionally scarred from the memory affect of NI cad batteries in the past. 

Its good for battery health to keep using it, i didn't use mine all year between festival season and it got fucked ahead of glasto last year. luckily anker replaced it for free on warranty 🙂

21 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yeah good shout. I'm away for the weekend currently but it's been delivered so will get it fully charged up when I get back tomorrow and see how many charges I get throughout the week. I'd be shocked if one of that size wouldn't be enough for all of Glastonbury itself let alone with the addition of my other 10,000 charger.