The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

4 hours ago, gfa said:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/aukey.com

I'd just avoid all random brand power banks honestly, so many of them lie about what they actually store etc. if you do go for one make sure its off a friend's recommendation, not off amazon's special offers section etc

Just to say on this, brand reviews on Trustpilot are almost always very negative because people typically only go to leave one when they have had problems with a device or service (like a return). So, for example, Apple (or at least apple.com and apple.co.uk) has a rating of 1.7 on Trustpilot, the same as Aukey. Product reviews on websites are a better indication as you might see that (for example) 20% of customer experiences were negative or less than 2%.

6 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Just to say on this, brand reviews on Trustpilot are almost always very negative because people typically only go to leave one when they have had problems with a device or service (like a return). So, for example, Apple (or at least apple.com and apple.co.uk) has a rating of 1.7 on Trustpilot, the same as Aukey. Product reviews on websites are a better indication as you might see that (for example) 20% of customer experiences were negative or less than 2%.

While I agree with that, I'd point out that Aukey was banned from Amazon for soliciting fake positive reviews.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

OK, so I was with you all the way, up until the above bit. I have had a smoke, so may be missing something obvious, but how does a 20% negative customer experience become a 2% 'thing'?

I may not have been clear. If 20% of product reviews are negative (which could still have an overall 4* rating) then I would almost certainly avoid it. If it was just was 2% then I would feel fairly confident about buying the product. Of course, companies know this and have been known to buy positive reviews. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FrankieX said:

I may not have been clear. If 20% of product reviews are negative (which could still have an overall 4* rating) then I would almost certainly avoid it. If it was just was 2% then I would feel fairly confident about buying the product. Of course, companies know this and have been known to buy positive reviews. 

Thanks for clarifying, as I'd kind of lost the plot a little on the last bit. T

here was a time (a fair number of years ago now) when I was avidly researching a trip to Vietnam on Trip Advisor. It was like the wild west on the forum, with competitors slagging each other off, and giving out false information. It was only through in depth observation that I could get any clarity on who was a bullshitter and who wasn't. I guess the reviews market is much similar now. 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:55 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

My aukey is absolutely fine 2 years after purchase 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:19 AM, philipsteak said:

Had my aukey one so long I have no idea how old it is. At least 5 years, probably more. Seems to still hold a lot of charge too.

this is the main thing - reviews from people on here!

wasn't saying its 100% bad but there are a ton of shite no name brand chargers on amazon so i'll always pay a tenner more for Anker to be honest.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Had 4 of the Chinese lightweight chairs for a few years, they are extremely handy and by and large they have survived well.  Depending on how soft the ground is, they do sink in, sometimes leaving the little rubber feet behind when you pull them out. (Walking stick ferrules are a good replacement).

The Go-Outdoors ones are more expensive but they do have a handy mat that fits between the legs and should help stop the feet sinking in muddy conditions. I've never tried the Go-outdoor ones but If they sold the mats separately I'd be tempted to try one with my current chairs.

image.png.cd8a81309e63aca2fd5a0ace8a62c622.png

Smallest and lightest sitting above ground contraption I have, is a poundland camping stool. It takes up a tiny space in your sack, and has near instant assembly, but the flipside is you end up sitting just a few inches above the ground, supported squatting really. You can't be a chair w*nker with one, you are too low, all you'd see is the back of someone's legs but at times I have found it very useful.  However, if its muddy its more likely to sink than the chairs will. Not sure how robust it is long term.

I have similar.. it has a high back which makes it comfier so it's a little bigger folded up.. but no ground mat. Definitely the best comfort/small/light option IMHO.

I was interested in the ultra compact chairs, but they all seemed too low to be comfortable. I went in another direction and bought a Shakespeare tripod stool which has a 60cm seat height and (at least relative to other tripod stools) a large, comfortable seat. It's a lot larger than the compact chairs, and the cheaper steel version I got weighs a lot more too (there is a lighter aluminium one), but it's a lot more comfortable for me than something just a few inches off the ground and only costs around £15.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/inca-extreme-80l-rucksack-p16258.aspx/brown/#tabArea - I'm after a larger rucksack, I have a 65l but want an 80l really - that would be the difference between getting my sleep mat AND sleeping bag in vs just one, leaving more room for carrying alcohol in bags in my hands. 

This is looking good, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for similar around the same price point?

Edited by efcfanwirral

49 minutes ago, svphie said:

Anyone have any sleeping bag recommendations? I've always borrowed one in the past...

The 2/3 season synthetic ones on alpkit.com are in the sweetspot for cost and quality

mountain equipment starlight II is also a good value bag

Edited by Twiggy553
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/inca-extreme-80l-rucksack-p16258.aspx/brown/#tabArea - I'm after a larger rucksack, I have a 65l but want an 80l really - that would be the difference between getting my sleep mat AND sleeping bag in vs just one, leaving more room for carrying alcohol in bags in my hands. 

This is looking good, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for similar around the same price point?

Looks decent.  Worth also having a look on eBay for British army Bergen.  Pre-owned but massive and very strong.  Sworn by mine for festivals for years now.

2 hours ago, FrankieX said:

This one is well reviewed, and a little cheaper. Not a personal recommendation though, as I'm more in the £20-30 price range. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-easyfit-rucksack-90l-blue/_/R-p-309809

That zip right the way down the front of it would make me wonder how waterproof it is - might need a cover to be safe if it is lashing down.

27 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Anyone not use a sleeping bag let me know?!? Curious if there's other options out there which could be carried in.

We take a double air bed, double fitted sheet, two pillows and a duvet. So much better than a sleeping bag.

We use a couple those vacuum bags to shrink everything down, takes up more room on the way home but by then the drink has gone

4 hours ago, mazola said:

We take a double air bed, double fitted sheet, two pillows and a duvet. So much better than a sleeping bag.

We use a couple those vacuum bags to shrink everything down, takes up more room on the way home but by then the drink has gone

This is such a good idea to use vacuum bags for duvets! Might have to copy as I’m really not a fan of a sleeping bag. Have gone for a camp bed as air beds kill my back, being there for 5 nights I need a comfortable sleep 😂

5 hours ago, mazola said:

If you have an airbed, you presumably have an air pump too. You can use the deflate option on these to redo your vacuum bags for the journey home.

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Anyone not use a sleeping bag let me know?!? Curious if there's other options out there which could be carried in.

https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outwell-caress-single-sleeping-system.html

I have one of these bought off eBay. I sleep on my side and never got on with sleeping bags. I end up unzipping the bag and laying it flat.

Also looking into camping quilts, they attach directly to airbed and give a lot more room.